Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Chally, 3.6, has about 3700 miles. I've changed the oil once a year, beyond that I have done nothing else. It was a November 2016 build so it will be 5 years old this fall. At 5 years, should I do a coolant flush? Or are the miles so low it doesn't matter? Anything other suggestions are appreciated as well.

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
The only thing I would recommend at this point is a brake fluid flush. It doesn't cost much, but your brake fluid is absorbing moisture regardless if you drive the car or not. Mine is a 2016, so I'm getting antsy about doing a coolant flush as well.

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
333 Posts
3700, hundred?
2 more annual oil changes in warranty?

Anyway, if only you have changed the oil - ignore.
If others have been cranking an O-ring filter cap; check down the cap view looking for oil from a crack.

Otherwise - the O-ring does the sealing, you're just keeping the cap from falling off.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mainly, rubbers and fluids. Even sitting, they "go bad." So just make sure tires, belts, hoses etc. are not deteriorating. These all need some use or they rot or go bad. Same with fluids. They need to be circulated thru the machine or they go bad. The time differs. But at least some regular light use.

And protect it from UV and environmental damage as much as possible. That means washing it, parking it inside or at least under shade for as much as possible. Cover the dash and interior.

If you look at used cars you get a sense of what goes bad, and interiors get trashed from neglect and UV.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
My 2017 Chally, 3.6, has about 3700 miles. I've changed the oil once a year, beyond that I have done nothing else. It was a November 2016 build so it will be 5 years old this fall. At 5 years, should I do a coolant flush? Or are the miles so low it doesn't matter? Anything other suggestions are appreciated as well.
All ye seek is in the owner’s manual under the maintenance section.

As to your coolant....it is OAT and rated at 10 years / 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
At least adhere to the service schedule in the owners manual regarding services triggered on time.

While probably not listed in the scheduled service I can second the recommendation to have the brake fluid flushed and bled.

As for coolant years ago my auto tech buddies told me changing the coolant every so often -- ~4 years -- was a good thing. The additive package became depleted. The concern was not the block would "rust" through but the water pump seals would suffer and leak. Or a pinhole leak would develop in the radiator or heater core. I did that and have never had to replace a hose even on a car I owned 16 years and drove for 317K miles. No radiator or heater core even developed a leak due to corrosion.

One water pump lasted to 172K miles. (Another failed at around 100K miles but I had bought the car used 6 years old with <10K miles and the "damage" to the water pump seals had already been done.)

While probably not justified on miles the cabin air filter probably should be changed. These can get stinky over time.

Why the low miles? Who are you saving the miles for?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all the responses - just saw them, for some reason I did not get notifications. Yes, 3700 miles. It gets driven a couple times a week during the spring, summer, fall and I manage to sneak it out every 2 or 3 weeks during the winter (they salt where we live). Has only seen rain a couple times. It lives in the garage when not being driven. Appreciate the answer on the coolant - 10 years is great. And I will keep an eye on the belts.

I bought the car brand new in November 2018 - as a two year old leftover. Great deal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At least adhere to the service schedule in the owners manual regarding services triggered on time.

While probably not listed in the scheduled service I can second the recommendation to have the brake fluid flushed and bled.

As for coolant years ago my auto tech buddies told me changing the coolant every so often -- ~4 years -- was a good thing. The additive package became depleted. The concern was not the block would "rust" through but the water pump seals would suffer and leak. Or a pinhole leak would develop in the radiator or heater core. I did that and have never had to replace a hose even on a car I owned 16 years and drove for 317K miles. No radiator or heater core even developed a leak due to corrosion.

One water pump lasted to 172K miles. (Another failed at around 100K miles but I had bought the car used 6 years old with <10K miles and the "damage" to the water pump seals had already been done.)

While probably not justified on miles the cabin air filter probably should be changed. These can get stinky over time.

Why the low miles? Who are you saving the miles for?
I only drive it in perfect weather. It's a treat every time I get in it.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
I have a 2016 Scat pack and a 2017 GT I bought new and plan to keep for ever. I got the lifetime FCA warranty on both. The Scat Pack gets Oil changes every 6 months even though it only has 8,850 miles on it it has had 11 oil changes so far. I will have the cooling system drained and refilled and the brake fluid changed at the fall oil change before it goes into winter storage. I will change the manual transmission fluid and diff. fluid myself this fall. Lack of fluid changes on a car that sits allot is hard on seals and moisture build up causes sludge and other problems. When I replaced the rear axle bearings in my 1964 Starfire in 1984 the car had 82,000 miles on it but the sludge buildup made it look and feel like the rear axle housing was half filled with silly putty. It took me 2 days to pull the diff pig and steam clean the whole housing and replace all seals and gaskets. That's what 20 years of moisture buildup can do. My 2 Challengers will have all fluids changed every 5 years period.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I only drive it in perfect weather. It's a treat every time I get in it.
Yes it is a treat. I too kerp her garaged & covered. Never seen rain. Once I found out she is a 1 of 1 as ordered I became even more protective. Got her at the end of Aug, has 660 miles of smiles 😃🇺🇸😃

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thank you for all the responses - just saw them, for some reason I did not get notifications. Yes, 3700 miles. It gets driven a couple times a week during the spring, summer, fall and I manage to sneak it out every 2 or 3 weeks during the winter (they salt where we live). Has only seen rain a couple times. It lives in the garage when not being driven. Appreciate the answer on the coolant - 10 years is great. And I will keep an eye on the belts.

I bought the car brand new in November 2018 - as a two year old leftover. Great deal.
Don't forget about your fuel. Additives dont last that long. I let my 06 chargher sit to long and bad gas ruined the fuel pump and transfer pump. Oops. Also not so great on lots of other parts. Like, well, most of them!

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
Coolant is rated for 10 years / 150K service life - with the low use its unlikely that needs any attention

whenever you use the car - drive it fully warmed up and for several miles - get condensation out of the oil, exhaust system and help keep the engine (and cats) from getting carbon build up. Run the A/C system for at least 10 minutes - in cooler weather run the heat setting up if a/c conditioned air is too cold for comfort at that point in the year

Never >> do the start / idle until warmed up and the shut it off. That is the worst thing to do - cold start which creates the most wear and the rest of the systems (transmission / driveline) don't get "exercised"

probably use non-ethanol gasoline - obviously the car sits for long periods of time. Ethanol based fuel blends go through phase separation and after 5 - 6 weeks, that tank of fuel is going through that, which isn't good for fuel system components, or performance.

as recommended, get the brake fluid changed - odds are the color is a dark brown at this point. It should normally be the color of white wine - barely light yellow / clear fluid.

you'll probably have to replace the tires long before the tread wears out - see what the interval is recommend by that tire manufacturer for replacement intervals. Tires deteriorate after they've been produced and safety and integrity are affected by time / exposure to elements

Reactions: Dodgenovice

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
Coolant is rated for 10 years / 150K service life - with the low use its unlikely that needs any attention

whenever you use the car - drive it fully warmed up and for several miles - get condensation out of the oil, exhaust system and help keep the engine (and cats) from getting carbon build up. Run the A/C system for at least 10 minutes - in cooler weather run the heat setting up if a/c conditioned air is too cold for comfort at that point in the year

Never >> do the start / idle until warmed up and the shut it off. That is the worst thing to do - cold start which creates the most wear and the rest of the systems (transmission / driveline) don't get "exercised"

probably use non-ethanol gasoline - obviously the car sits for long periods of time. Ethanol based fuel blends go through phase separation and after 5 - 6 weeks, that tank of fuel is going through that, which isn't good for fuel system components, or performance.

as recommended, get the brake fluid changed - odds are the color is a dark brown at this point. It should normally be the color of white wine - barely light yellow / clear fluid.

you'll probably have to replace the tires long before the tread wears out - see what the interval is recommend by that tire manufacturer for replacement intervals. Tires deteriorate after they've been produced and safety and integrity are affected by time / exposure to elements
Have owned a number of vehicles over the years and for some time now either the car maker says the stuff is "lifetime" or has like Dodge an extended change interval.

But I still follow the habit I developed years earlier -- on the advice of my auto tech buddies -- of changing the coolant around every 4 years.

Keeps the additive package "fresh" and prolongs the life of the water pump seals and hoses.

Have driven a number of cars to 150K miles. Never a hose or water pump issue. The 1st time I had to replace a water pump was with one car that had covered 172K miles.

Another car had its water pump go bad at around 100K miles. But this car I bought used, 6 years old, with < 10K miles and no coolant changes. Low usage is "harder" on cars, car engines, than people realize. Besides the leaky water pump I had to deal with a leaky RMS, leaky front diff axle flange seals, transmission seal leak, even the hydraulic spoiler deployment system developed a leak.

My advice is 10 years, 150K miles coolant life notwithstanding, change it around every 4 years.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would change the gear oil, get the wear metals out. Also brake fluid. My 17 SRT only has 5600 miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts