Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there challenger family , so I have a question for y’all . So long story short today I went to check out a challenger I’m wanting to get. I’m a rookie in this group lol , fairly new so I have no idea why the guy laughed and was amused at first when I told him I wanted to test drive it and check it out . If anything helps y’all I’m a lady in her mid 20’s what’s so funny about a lady just trying to get her challenger ? Lol thanks in advance and much love guys .

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
There's nothing funny about it. However, I suspect the salesman hasn't run into too many women, if any, wanting to test drive a Challenger and was so surprised he didn't know how to react. Most Challengers are more than likely purchased by men. Don't let his ignorant behavior deter you in getting the Challenger of your choice. You might, however, seek out a sales person who won't make you feel awkward. He's failed in that regard. Good luck getting the car you want. (y)

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
What Golfnut said.

However, have to add had a 20 year old guy walked in and made the same attempt at a test drive he might have received the same reaction.

Contrary to popular belief test drives of new cars, especially high performance slash "exotic" cars, is not a given by just walking onto the showroom floor and asking for one.

It helps if you indicate you are really serious about buying a car. When I'm ready to buy a car when I walk into a showroom to try to buy the car I have decided upon I state pretty quick that I'm here to buy a car. That gets the attention of the salesman and the sales manager (who I'll end up talking to negotiating the car's price).

With my 1st Scat Pack purchase, and my Hellcat purchase, I didn't ask for a test drive, just a test ride. I can tell quite a bit from the passenger's seat about the car without having to deal with the fact I'm in an unfamiliar car in an unfamiliar area. I can focus on how the car drives not on the driving the car.

With my 2nd Scat Pack I did after the test ride ask for and get a test drive mainly to assure myself the clutch/transmission action was ok. But it was a pretty mild test drive. As it should be. There is no need to try to duplicate the factory's 0 to 60 time.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Scat Pack, 2019 Challenger SXT AWD
217 Posts
Welcome Mimi! I’ve no idea why a salesman would act like that, other than he thought you weren’t serious. If it was me I’d be trying to make sale no matter what.

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack M6
69 Posts
i'm much older than you (pushing 40) but I'm often told I look a good deal younger. Anyhow, I showed up with intent to buy my scat pack in a pristine stick shift mustang that i've obviously taken meticulous care of. the salesperson and manager were very hesitant to let me take a test drive. she finally did but she came with me and it was after I told them my salary. she was impressed with my smooth driving and so she let me take it out by myself after i called my wife to come check out the car. Point being I think most places are just hesitant to let anyone take out a 4-500 hp car.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Be careful, Challengers are guy magnets :ROFLMAO:. We have many ladies in our Challenger club from R/T’s to Hellcats who regularly join us at the strip and track. They’re just as competitive as any of the guys.

·
Registered
2020 Frostbite SXT
7 Posts
Welcome! I definitely agree with the others here, there's nothing funny about it. I acknowledge that I'm making a snap judgement here with very little information, but I think that salesman was just an ass. I definitely biased because of my own crappy experiences buying my Challenger, long story short I ended up using a dealership an hour away, skipping over about 7 others because they were the only ones that actually took me serious as a prospective buyer.

I would concur with what Rockstar said above, best way to start the interaction is to make it abundantly clear that you are looking to buy, and not just take a joy ride. Wish you the best of luck, and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
I have several family members that work at dealerships, not anything FCA or performance oriented though. I will ask how they typically see test drives treated.
I know personally, ever since I was in my 20s I always had test drives given to me , typically alone. Back in 1991 I was looking at a Mercury Cougar, and they didn't have what I wanted in stock, so he gave me a free 1 day rental write up on a new on the lot supercharged XR7, said "take it for the day, take your wife out to dinner".
But I basically call and speak to someone before I show up and let them know exactly what I am interested in, both to expect me, and to show actual interest.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Did they let you test drive one, be a smart azz and tell him your Kowalski's daughter ;)

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I will ask how they typically see test drives treated.
I know personally, ever since I was in my 20s I always had test drives given to me...
In my case, I had never sat in a Challenger and bought it over the internet from a dealer I had never heard of over 700 miles away. I did not test drive it. The first time I drove it was the day it was delivered to me in a covered trailer. The previous 2 cars I had purchased the salesmen insisted I test drive. I did; but, why? Do I honestly think a new car dealership is going to sell me a late model used car that drives like crap? Not really. Just sell me the car I want and all is good. (y)

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
It was nervous laughter because salesmen know nothing about the cars they are trying to sell.
I actually know more about Challengers than my salesman, and this is my first Mopar!

Hello there challenger family , so I have a question for y’all . So long story short today I went to check out a challenger I’m wanting to get. I’m a rookie in this group lol , fairly new so I have no idea why the guy laughed and was amused at first when I told him I wanted to test drive it and check it out . If anything helps y’all I’m a lady in her mid 20’s what’s so funny about a lady just trying to get her challenger ? Lol thanks in advance and much love guys .
Mimi, welcome to the Forum from Alabama. Hey, I'm an old guy in my early 60's. When I decided to but my 21' Scat Pack, the first dealer I went to responded by saying "absolutely not" when I asked about a test drive. I moved on. The second dealer I went to had a 21' Scat sitting out front and insisted I test drive it on the spot. 5 minutes later, I'm rowing gears in a 392!. Don't be afraid to walk if your'e not treated correctly and with respect. It can happen to anybody.

Reactions: Golfnut

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Mimi - What everyone else said. The guy probably could not judge character. Move on. There are plenty of Dodge dealers around.

Reminds me of a similar event that happened to my youngest daughter just last summer. She's 21 now, and has been a saver all her life (better than me). She bought her first car (from mom) at 17. Now my youngest daughter was considering the purchase of a used vette. She walked in and inquired about several in a dealers lot. The sales guy essentially laughed. He stated most were manual with a lot of power - "Are you sure you can manage that?" Well, she just laughed at the guy and said, "I guess not." And as she started to leave said, "I'll just peel myself out of here." ... and proceeded to get into the driver seat of a Toxic (in trust for her) 800+RWHP 6M Challenger ( I was on my laptop in the passenger seat. I was going to join her shortly. I looked up and was surprised to see her so quickly. I asked, "what's up?". She said, "The guys an idiot, hold on." ). When the guy saw her in the car, he came out to tell her something, but she said, you lost your chance. .. and left him sniffing gray-blue smoke.
Red heads?!, what can I say? They don't suffer fools. They got short fuses and blow up easily (trust me on this). Hopefully the sales guy learned a lesson that day.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Had something similar happen to me.
I pulled into the lot on a Saturday, a salesman came running out to my car, so I asked how much for the green Challenger and the guy laughed and said they were expensive. He then asked if I was going to trade my Red Magnum Wagon and that I would not get much of a trade in on my Wagon. I just wanted a real price.
3 months later after the carlot changed ownership, I walked in on a Saturday and said I want that F8 Challenger out there with the chrome wheels. I told the salesman I don't even want to test drive it (it had 9 miles on it) and I have my own financing.
They thought I was kidding. I took that Challenger home 3 days later.

People need to quit judging a book by the cover.
Go to a different lot that will treat you better.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Bad salespeople prejudge to their own detriment a lot. Too young, too old, too poor looking too female in your case. Walk and find one that treats you with respect.
In 2009 I got laughed off the lot when I went to buy a SRT 6speed manual. I was told they don’t make them. He would not even check the computer and told me “he’d know, he sells them”. Then got another sales guy to ridicule me and laugh. Before I could really get mad my girl dragged me out of there. In the end I bought elsewhere at full MSRP (what they sold for in summer ‘09 here).
I shared my experience with anyone I could and ended up halting at least 3 new vehicle sales from them to other dealers.

·
Premium Member
4,035 Posts
Mimi - What everyone else said. The guy probably could not judge character. Move on. There are plenty of Dodge dealers around.

Reminds me of a similar event that happened to my youngest daughter just last summer. She's 21 now, and has been a saver all her life (better than me). She bought her first car (from mom) at 17. Now my youngest daughter was considering the purchase of a used vette. She walked in and inquired about several in a dealers lot. The sales guy essentially laughed. He stated most were manual with a lot of power - "Are you sure you can manage that?" Well, she just laughed at the guy and said, "I guess not." And as she started to leave said, "I'll just peel myself out of here." ... and proceeded to get into the driver seat of a Toxic (in trust for her) 800+RWHP 6M Challenger ( I was on my laptop in the passenger seat. I was going to join her shortly. I looked up and was surprised to see her so quickly. I asked, "what's up?". She said, "The guys an idiot, hold on." ). When the guy saw her in the car, he came out to tell her something, but she said, you lost your chance. .. and left him sniffing gray-blue smoke.
Red heads?!, what can I say? They don't suffer fools. They got short fuses and blow up easily (trust me on this). Hopefully the sales guy learned a lesson that day.
My little sister is a flaming red head. You are so right, at least in her case. Spot on!

Bad salespeople prejudge to their own detriment a lot. Too young, too old, too poor looking too female in your case. Walk and find one that treats you with respect.
In 2009 I got laughed off the lot when I went to buy a SRT 6speed manual. I was told they don’t make them. He would not even check the computer and told me “he’d know, he sells them”. Then got another sales guy to ridicule me and laugh. Before I could really get mad my girl dragged me out of there. In the end I bought elsewhere at full MSRP (what they sold for in summer ‘09 here).
I shared my experience with anyone I could and ended up halting at least 3 new vehicle sales from them to other dealers.
Yes, after a career in sales, it never ceased to amaze me how stupid some of my colleagues were, mostly to inflate their own ego's. Insecurity? I don't know but they were their own worst enemy. You get what you deserve. It's called karma.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I've been married to a red head for 37 years. You can't say a thing except "Ginger snaps." 🤣

1 - 19 of 19 Posts