Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a CAI for my 2011 RTC. I need one that is CARB certified since I live in CA. I like the K&N 63-1114 but it is not CARB cert. I know I could probably just install it and no one would ever know the difference but out here there are a ton of Eco-Nazis and if I show my car somewhere someone may rat me out so I'd like to stay compliant if possible.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Isn't the Mopar one certified? I know there more expensive but I thought as long as you don't put a tune in it (that you can't yet anyway) that they could be used anywhere. They come stock on a Mopar 10 so I would think they could be used even in Cal.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I have been looking for a CAI for my 2011 RTC. I need one that is CARB certified since I live in CA. I like the K&N 63-1114 but it is not CARB cert. I know I could probably just install it and no one would ever know the difference but out here there are a ton of Eco-Nazis and if I show my car somewhere someone may rat me out so I'd like to stay compliant if possible.

Thanks

what...are you serious?
who could they rat you out to? :scratchhead:
can't imagine too many eco-nazi types spending time at muscle car shows anyway.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't the Mopar one certified? I know there more expensive but I thought as long as you don't put a tune in it (that you can't yet anyway) that they could be used anywhere. They come stock on a Mopar 10 so I would think they could be used even in Cal.
The Mopar one is nice. I think the metal pipe reduces efficiency since it conducts heat, I would prefer a non-metallic pipe, but that is my backup

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what...are you serious?
who could they rat you out to? :scratchhead:
can't imagine too many eco-nazi types spending time at muscle car shows anyway.
I knew someone would ask. Didn't you see that Audi commercial with the Green Police......LOL

I'm just a little annoyed with K&N that they didn't spend the time/money to get it certified. California is a huge market, I'm sure a lot of stores don't carry it because it is not legal in California.

In the end, if someone doesn't have a better option then I will probably get the K&N and buy it online.

·
Banned
368 Posts
The stock intake on the 11's are pretty good....just get a K&N drop in.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've got the AirRaid CAI and I love it, not sure about any HP gains but it definitely feels faster, even if only by a little bit, its CARB approved and I'm fairly certain it will work for the 5.7 as well, or they make a unit for the 5.7. Install was simple and its got a plastic tube so it doesn't absorb so much heat. I've never been a fan of K&N intakes, for the most part from my experience they don't really do much better than the stock intake, I've had a few friends that put their stock intakes back on and sold the K&N because they lost power, I don't know about the Challenger K&N however, lots of people have them and seem to like them.

·
Banned
368 Posts
The 11's don't have the "tumor" off to the side...right by the Throttle Body. The intakes on all of these cars pull air from inside the fender. I have a Mopar CAI...mainly becasue it looks good. If I had to do it all over again, perhaps an 11 or SRT stock set up.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
The MOPAR long tube is CA CARB approved, gets you the cold air from below, can't beat that!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got the AirRaid CAI and I love it, not sure about any HP gains but it definitely feels faster, even if only by a little bit, its CARB approved and I'm fairly certain it will work for the 5.7 as well, or they make a unit for the 5.7. Install was simple and its got a plastic tube so it doesn't absorb so much heat. I've never been a fan of K&N intakes, for the most part from my experience they don't really do much better than the stock intake, I've had a few friends that put their stock intakes back on and sold the K&N because they lost power, I don't know about the Challenger K&N however, lots of people have them and seem to like them.

That looks sweet! It seems much more substantial than the K&N. I've been looking at that as well as the roto-fab. Thanks for the feedback

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts