Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
good spotting that - that looks like the lower side of head by the block (black paint on 5.7 blocks) and if that rocker shaft was installed like that, its not correct.

The pushrods are different lengths for intake vs. exhaust and I'm not certain about the rockers, I'm aware they're 1.6:1 ratio.
you have a 6.800" set and 8.100" set of pushrods for the intake / exhaust positions

the intake rockers are clearly marked with the "I" cast into it. it might be a positioning thing or the arms or the geometry is different. I just know to reinstall them in their correct orientation on the engine
I thought it was the block but the OP has a 6.4 so it would be orange in color (I assume since car in image has SRT badge on the grille). Looking at it again I am guessing the black painted surface is an aftermarket intake like edelbrock or maybe supercharger head...that and the way the oil pools makes it look like the rockers were correctly installed.

Not sure if it is physically possible to install the pushrods and rockers in reverse (i.e. intake to exhaust and exhaust to intake)? If it was I am sure it would have ran like crap to begin with and OP said it was running for a month, if I read that right.

If the spring kit came with retainers for a 5.7 and 6.4 it could be that the wrong one was installed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I thought it was the block but the OP has a 6.4 so it would be orange in color (I assume since car in image has SRT badge on the grille). Looking at it again I am guessing the black painted surface is an aftermarket intake like edelbrock or maybe supercharger head...that and the way the oil pools makes it look like the rockers were correctly installed.

Not sure if it is physically possible to install the pushrods and rockers in reverse (i.e. intake to exhaust and exhaust to intake)? If it was I am sure it would have ran like crap to begin with and OP said it was running for a month, if I read that right.

If the spring kit came with retainers for a 5.7 and 6.4 it could be that the wrong one was installed.
That's right, I work for a month without any problem, my tuner told me that on occasion the comp springs fail, so it doesn't surprise me if the retainers broke down

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
That's right, I work for a month without any problem, my tuner told me that on occasion the comp springs fail, so it doesn't surprise me if the retainers broke down
When I swapped my cam I was looking for replacement springs and I do recall seeing posts with comp cam spring failure and recommendations to use the mopar springs but they are only good for up to 0.625" lift. What was the max RPM set to on the motor in the tune...was it something like 7000 rpm?

·
Super Moderator
15,093 Posts
the retainers are the same for 5.7 / 6.4 the springs are different for each engine (different installed heights, valve lift)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
[QUOTE = "ChallyTatum, publicación: 8551260, miembro: 195634"]
Cuando cambié mi cámara, estaba buscando resortes de reemplazo y recuerdo haber visto publicaciones con fallas en el resorte de la cámara comp y recomendaciones para usar los resortes mopar, pero solo son buenos para una elevación de hasta 0.625 ". ¿Cuál fue el RPM máximo configurado en el motor en la sintonía ... ¿fue algo así como 7000 rpm?
[/CITAR]
6900 rpm

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
the retainers are the same for 5.7 / 6.4 the springs are different for each engine (different installed heights, valve lift)
Ah, yeah looked at the kit image again and specs again and there is only one type of retainer. So then how do they compensate for the install height when the kit says it is for a 5.7 or 6.4? On the mopar spring kit is says the 5.7 does not need shims but if installed on a 6.4 shims are needed. Without the shims wouldn't there be risk of the springs being too "loose"?

·
Super Moderator
15,093 Posts
Ah, yeah looked at the kit image again and specs again and there is only one type of retainer. So then how do they compensate for the install height when the kit says it is for a 5.7 or 6.4? On the mopar spring kit is says the 5.7 does not need shims but if installed on a 6.4 shims are needed. Without the shims wouldn't there be risk of the springs being too "loose"?
View attachment 988354
the spring seats are different heights between a 5.7 head and 6.4.

remember that the 6.4 heads have larger CC'd chambers (larger bore) and so the head casting and machining are different than a 5.7 head. The 5.7 has smaller CC'd chamber. [5.7 is 10.3:1 CR / 6.4 is 10.9:1 CR]

I've often seen different springs spec'd between the 5.7 vs. 6.4 due to spring heights and I suppose with shims it could be accomplished.

In the past, there's been folks that asked about using 6.4 springs in their 5.7 cam swaps (inexpensive price), but it seems that the stock 6.4 springs are a no-go for that...

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
@Hal H that is my point, the mopar kit states shims are need for 6.4 which suggests they will work fine on the 5.7 but the springs require shims to get the correct install height on a 6.4. On the comp cam kit, there is no mention of shims and the install height they spec'ed looks to be for a 5.7, so to me that says shims are needed for the 6.4.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You can see in first pic the lifters and damage to piston on intake side. So the rocker is correct. You can see the "I" on the rocker arm. Ive seen lots of race engines and have never seen retainers break on the side like that. Cheap material maybe and cant take the edge of the spring. Seems something is suspect at that point. All that broke look like they did from the edge of the spring. Strange.
Did it do both heads or just the one side? This would eliminate timing jumping if only one head.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You can see in first pic the lifters and damage to piston on intake side. So the rocker is correct. You can see the "I" on the rocker arm. Ive seen lots of race engines and have never seen retainers break on the side like that. Cheap material maybe and cant take the edge of the spring. Seems something is suspect at that point. All that broke look like they did from the edge of the spring. Strange.
Did it do both heads or just the one side? This would eliminate timing jumping if only one head.
the same thing happened in both heads

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
What I don't understand is the CC spring kit says it works for 5.7 & 6.4 but for that to be true you would need shims for the 6.4 and no shims for the 5.7, kind of like the mopar springs. That's just my guess.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
Was it 09 that first got the phaser? I thought it was 2010. If its got a phaser then ya check the pin. If thats the case did it get a lockout?
I thought he has a 2011 392...so hence the phaser. My understanding is all challenger SRT 392 were equipped with VVT, it was the SRT 6.1 that was non-VVT. If there was no phaser lock/limiter I would have not expected the engine to last long at all.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Nice catch on the 392. For some reason i thought he had a 2009 5.7.
Either way it still looks timing related. Both heads getting damaged makes it suspect. Either the phaser isnt locked or limited, pin sheared or timing jumped. Id pull the front cover and take a look.
Again, nice catch ChallyTatum.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
Nice catch on the 392. For some reason i thought he had a 2009 5.7.
Either way it still looks timing related. Both heads getting damaged makes it suspect. Either the phaser isnt locked or limited, pin sheared or timing jumped. Id pull the front cover and take a look.
Again, nice catch ChallyTatum.
I am still confused about the springs. The kit says for 5.7 and 6.4 but we know the 6.4 has a higher install height than the 5.7. So how can they be used without shims on the 6.4? If the springs had an install height for a 6.4 they will not fit on a 5.7.

As for being a 5.7, that black paint (which I assume is some aftermarket intake) sure made me think 5.7 when I first saw it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not sure about that one.
Still dont think its valve spring fault though. Yes they might be wrong, but the distance is greater on the 392 so i wouldnt think coil bind would be an issue. Was the open and seat pressures checked first time it got springs?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,798 Posts
Not sure about that one.
Still dont think its valve spring fault though. Yes they might be wrong, but the distance is greater on the 392 so i wouldnt think coil bind would be an issue. Was the open and seat pressures checked first time it got springs?
Yes the install height is greater on the 6.4. If you take 6.4 springs and put them on a 5.7 they would bind for sure. Mopar came out with a spring kit that can be used on a 5.7 and 6.4 where the springs have the same install height for a 5.7 so it does not need shims but if you want to used them on a 6.4 you need to shim them. If you don't shim your spring force would be lower and I am thinking maybe valves could have floated? Although we did have a member recently lose a motor that was built up due to sheared phaser pin. I have babbled about this spring stuff to long anyways, let's see what the OP finds.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If it was spring pressure related it would have been an issue at high rpm. Low rpm they could do the job but at high they would fail if wrong pressures. Then at high rpm the damage would have been much worse. My $$ still going on timing issue.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts