Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Chally Tatum, This is how I break down your question. The 7230 Comp valve spring spec are 145 lbs. at 1.900 installed hgt. spring rate is 519 lbs. per inch, the kit comes with a 0.135 spring seat, the factory 6.4 springs are 114.7 lbs. on the seat and 337.2 lbs. at max lift, with a 389 lbs. per inch rate. The 5.7 Eagle has a 1.99 installed hgt. with a 1mm shim spring seat (0.0394), now subtract the shim this comes out to 2.0294 spring hgt. add in the 0.135 Comp seat and this brings the new installed hgt. to 1.8944 with a seat pressure of 147.9 lbs.. Now assuming the 6.4 has the same shim for a spring seat to make up its 2.051 installed hgt. subtract the 0.0394 shim and you end up with 2.0904 hgt. add in the Comp seat 0.135 you have 1.9954 this puts the seat pressure at 116.25 lbs. If you leave the factory shim on the head and add the Comp seat to it , it comes out to 1.9160 installed hgt. with a 136.7 lbs. seat pressure. Add in another 0.015 shim and it puts you at 144.48 lbs. seat pressure. So that's what I am thinking they mean by adding a shim for the 6.4, but even with out the 0.015 shim your still in the ball park for seat pressure. Now the over the nose pressure at max lift (.632 lift) for the 6.4 at the least with 116.25 lbs. seat pressure would be 444.25 lbs. and at the highest 144.48. seat pressure would be 472.49 lbs. and the 5.7 would be 475.9 lbs. I am wondering if the retainers were not strong enough to stand up to the shock of the spring pressures when the valve slams closed. I am using these same 761-16 retainers with PSI springs with 120 lbs. seat pressure and 347 lbs. at max lift with a 384 lbs. rate with no problems for 7 years, but this is a big difference in spring rates.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks like the spring is coil binding or retainer failure to me. Piston to valve contact will usually cause popped locks and dropped valve. It shouldn’t break a retainer. Can’t say I’ve seen a broken retainer but I’ve seen lots of damage from valve float. Unless installer checked for coil bind, we don’t know what clearance it had. We don’t know if the retainer is correct also. One thing I’ve learned is not to assume.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Looks like the spring is coil binding or retainer failure to me. Piston to valve contact will usually cause popped locks and dropped valve. It shouldn’t break a retainer. Can’t say I’ve seen a broken retainer but I’ve seen lots of damage from valve float. Unless installer checked for coil bind, we don’t know what clearance it had. We don’t know if the retainer is correct also. One thing I’ve learned is not to assume.
It has been checked in 2 different places and the installation is correct, retainers springs and more are those that the camshaft needs according to its specifications of comp cams (7230CC-KIT)

·
Registered
322 Posts
If this was true it wouldnt/shouldnt affect both heads. Comes back to timing issue. Either no phaser lockout or not enough(limiter) sheared cam pin or timing jumped.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Odd for sure. I’ve seen a lot of broke motors but never a retainer failure. The piston to valve contact may have created some weird harmonics that caused the retainers to fail. It’s possible that it didn’t have enough p/v clearance when assembled and it finally caught up with it. Timing slipping failure should be obvious at cam/sprocket.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would like to see a picture of all the pistons, because from the pictures that are shown 2 pistons are hurt, one definitely came in contact with an intake valve, but didn't brake a peace out of the piston. The other piston does not look to me like the valve hit it( no shinny spot like other piston). Looks more like piston broke away from the top ring groove from detonation, but I have to see all the pistons to be sure. As far as coil bind goes, the springs that came in the cam kit coil bind 1.175 with an installed height of 1.900. So with a cam with .632 lift it still should have had 0.093 to coil bind, plenty of room. Until I see all the piston I am still thinking the retainers failed. If you look at the piston that hit the intake valve there is no damage on the exhaust valve side, but the head with the dropped intake valve it has a broken retainer on that cylinder's exhaust valve too.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts