Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had new tires installed and the installer left the black rubberized glue residue from the old balancing weights.

I tired Goo Gone and it worked, somewhat, with a lost of rubbing. What do you guys use? I heard brake cleaner works.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
brake cleaner will work

I've also used isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) - its safe on painted finishes (modern catalyzed finishes) and it will remove the residue.

What I've found to do is let it soak (or put on cloth and apply) to soften the adhesive. It will roll off or peel off much more readily.

PS your wheel barrels are painted and clear coated. I'll clean, polish and wax the barrels (and rest of the wheel) - makes washing them easier with a slick coating of wax...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Drives me nuts that tire mounting services are in too much of a hurry (or lazy) to get that off for us. I guess they'd most likely scratch the wheel doing it anyway.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Drives me nuts that tire mounting services are in too much of a hurry (or lazy) to get that off for us. I guess they'd most likely scratch the wheel doing it anyway.
The potential for damaging the wheel is probably the factor. Especially with painted wheel finishes.

Probably the majority of owners (besides the gear heads like us) don't even notice the old tape on weight residue.
-these are the same types that run a car through an automatic car wash and call it "done", and trade the car in at the end of lease or when the load is paid off...

Reactions: MiHiHemi

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I use GooGone and just take my time too, wish there was an easy way!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I've used Tar-X and it works really well for removing any adhesives.

Just like goo gone, you need to let it soak and might need to do several passes until the product penetrates down to the wheel and loosens up whatever is stuck to the wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
I messed up the paint on my Envy wheels trying to do the same thing. Follow the advice these fine members have suggested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts