Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Curious to know..
Excellent condition, low miles under 5k, SHAKER, automatic, anti spin rear, 730 Nav, Harmon Kardon, HID's. sun roof etc..
Sticker was $44945

What would be the wholesale value (trade in)?
Can't find the Shaker pkg on KBB..

Edited the price..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Curious to know..
Excellent condition, low miles under 5k, SHAKER, automatic, anti spin rear, 730 Nav, Harmon Kardon, HID's. sun roof etc..
Sticker was $49945

You're going to take it in the ass, bigtime.

Curious, why'd you buy a '14 (I'm assuming you are trading for a '15 in which case I'm not sure why you bothered with a '14)?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Ouch... 49k for a 5.7 R/T? Would never spend that much but I agree with the above guy, you're gonna take a huge loss.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
That's an amazing sticker price, I mean aren't the 2015's going to be cheaper than that with a 392? Man - people buying up the 2014s right now are really going to lose value on their cars - big time!

You thinking about picking that one up? You would have to think the wholesale/trade-in would be in the $43 range.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The sticker is $44,945

I can pick it up for a wash on my trade..

Trying to figure out what a 2014 Shaker car is worth currently.

I'd like to get the car & trade it in, in 7-8 months... IF the 2014 won't depreciate too much..
I'm thinking the car as wholesale trade in right now has GOT to be at least $38k-$39k

·
Registered
398 Posts
I posted a link yesterday to Fremont CDJR, which has 5 Shakers on the lot, all of which have prices, including discount and $4K rebate, under $38,000 - well, except on that they put what they're calling $8000 worth of mods on. I bet someone backed out of a special order.

Pay $45K for that one, and you'll be $10,000 in the hole next spring.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No Gene, it would be a wash...
Cost nothing, they would take my 2012 SRT8 in trade & deliver me the 2014 .

So I need to figure out, in Jan, when I order the car I want, the 392 SP Shaker, what will be worth more, a 2012 SRT8, 3 model years removed, or a 2014 R/T Shaker, 1 model yr removed..

I'm sensing the majority are telling me to hold on the the SRT8, which is fine.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Ellis,
My take is they made you that offer as they see more value in your SRT by doing that deal.
A car takes a bigger hit in the first year so the shaker may cost you too much of a loss.
Bottom line is cars will make us poor if we think emotionally and not financially.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got ya..
Will hold onto my car & trade it in Jan.

A dealer rep just called me, said ANY 2014 R/T (5.7) will drop like the Titanic.
He said the 6.4 SRT8 will always be desirable, where the 5.7 is going by the wayside with the 2015 introduction of a 392 in an R/T.

His advice was to hold onto my car.
Advice taken!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ellis,
My take is they made you that offer as they see more value in your SRT by doing that deal.
A car takes a bigger hit in the first year so the shaker may cost you too much of a loss.
Bottom line is cars will make us poor if we think emotionally and not financially.
This. They wouldn't offer it if it didn't make them more money.

What I'm saying is that it's not really a wash if your SRT is worth more than the Shaker, and that based on what Shakers are actually selling for - pretty good discounts off of MSRP + $4000 rebate from Dodge - the Shaker will be worth even less in 6 months, simply through depreciation.

BTW, won't you also pay like $4000 in tax, license, and doc fees? And then again when you buy the new one in Spring?

·
Registered
426 Posts
You know what they say: as soon as you drive it off the lot, let the depreciation begin.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Yo-El for what it's worth, Challenger's have been holding their value very well. That plus the fact that used cars are in high demand due to the economy keeps their value historically high as a used vehicle. I outright sold my 2013 R/T to a dealership back a few months ago when I thought I was getting laid off. I had paid $31k for it new and I was paid $25.5k 18 months later. A loss of course but not anywhere near what I was expecting. Now, I just bought a 2014 R/T which listed for 31.5k and paid 28k. I just looked on KBB and it's mid range value is 31k. As far as 2014's dropping like the Titanic. I'm not so sure. Many people like the more retro current interior and the 392 is not going to be as plentiful as the 5.7 in 2015. Everyone may WANT the 392 but finances, gas, insurance and price will keep the 5.7 selling well IMO. Lastly, if you consider the 2014 Shaker, they are selling at a 6k markdown here so you can use that as ammo and if your state is like mine, you only pay sales tax on the difference between the new car price and the trade in value. I bought the 2014 now because I wanted it as a hedge in case I did not like the new interior, plus I fully expect a myriad of electrical problems given the new electronic architecture and the added complexity. If I like the 2015 and there are no widespread bugs, I will trade my 2014 in and I still don't expect to loose a great deal. Such is the game.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The sticker is $44,945

I'd like to get the car & trade it in, in 7-8 months... IF the 2014 won't depreciate too much..
I'm thinking the car as wholesale trade in right now has GOT to be at least $38k-$39k
I've learned that all Challengers pretty much depreciate about $5,000 immediately, then hold their value in the high $20K range. You can look up an '11 model on KBB and it's pretty close to what a '13 model will bring with the same mileage. The good thing about them, is they keep their value over years.

With that said, you can buy a new brand new Shaker here for $36,666, and you can bet that with the 2015's coming out, it'll be worth about $32,000 as soon as you drive it off the lot.

New 2014 Dodge Challenger For Sale | Austin TX

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
You're going to take it in the ass, bigtime.

Curious, why'd you buy a '14 (I'm assuming you are trading for a '15 in which case I'm not sure why you bothered with a '14)?
I just listed mine here for sale. It can be had for a lot less.

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
I did a blue book value on my 14 and it's showing 31,300 to 32,540 trade-in currently on my RT Classic. I paid 36K out the door last year. Looking to either trade for the 15 Scat Pack 392 Shaker or sell mine outright but know I will take a hit as the 15s start showing up but it's paid for and I've got to have the 15 just wish I had know about the Scat Shaker last year, would have waited. Oh well you only live one I guess.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Based on all the advice, I'm holding onto the SRT until its time to trade it in on the Scat Pack Shaker..
Been told by many that it will still be worth more than the 2014.. So thats that..

Reactions: 70TA-09RT

·
Registered
171 Posts
Curious to know..
Sticker was $44945

Edited the price..
The sticker is $44,945

No Gene, it would be a wash...
Cost nothing, they would take my 2012 SRT8 in trade & deliver me the 2014 .

So I need to figure out, in Jan, when I order the car I want, the 392 SP Shaker, what will be worth more, a 2012 SRT8, 3 model years removed, or a 2014 R/T Shaker, 1 model yr removed..

I'm sensing the majority are telling me to hold on the the SRT8, which is fine.
Got ya..
Will hold onto my car & trade it in Jan.

A dealer rep just called me, said ANY 2014 R/T (5.7) will drop like the Titanic.
He said the 6.4 SRT8 will always be desirable, where the 5.7 is going by the wayside with the 2015 introduction of a 392 in an R/T.

His advice was to hold onto my car.
Advice taken!
Based on all the advice, I'm holding onto the SRT until its time to trade it in on the Scat Pack Shaker..
Been told by many that it will still be worth more than the 2014.. So thats that..

Trying to make sure I have this right; you wanna trade your 12 SRT8 for a 5.7 RT Shaker? If so, why? Just wondering....

·
Premium Member
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
Ellis, I'm glad you chose to wait until the 15 Shaker is available as I said the day it's available to order. I will confirm with you the costs and colors and options so you can get exactly what you want. I now have full access at the dealership to handle placing the orders for the Challengers and Chargers (2015 is going to be fun and wait until 2016)

Reactions: YO-EL
1 - 20 of 20 Posts