Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Without a doubt...

....1970/71 ...426 Hemi-Cuda. PERIOD. Everyone knows this. This is not OPINION. It is FACT.

Reactions: Challenger09

·
Premium Member
264 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
A celebration of all things HEMI will be held April 11-13,2014 In Fabulous Las Vegas.

Mine, and about 30 of my friends and their Hemi's will be there...

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Good second choice...

The HEMI SUPERBIRD the KING
But the bird was never intended to be a street car. You could make the same point about 426 Cuda's and Challengers....as the 440 Six Pack was a more reliable street motor. But the historical facts are this:

1. By 1970, Ford and Chevy were moving away from muscle cars...and more importantly...pony cars.
2. MOPAR (Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth), being a "day late/dollar short"...actually entered the "Pony Wars" in 1970. They took the concepts that made the 67-69 Camaro...and 67-69 Mustang Trans Am Cars...to their Zenith.
3. The 70/71' Cuda's and Challengers are widely recognized as the epitome of American Muscle. They looked GREAT. If they had a 426, they had...for the first time...more than 1HP per Cubic Inch. As Trans AM Racers, they could actually turn/stop well for their time period.
4. By 1972...Muscle was DEAD, Motors were de-tuned. Cars got ugly.

Superbirds:
1. Very high top speed...good for NASCAR. Slow at Drags.
2. 1970 NASCAR rules demanded that a specified number of "Birds" be sold at dealerships...in order for them to compete. Back then...stock cars were STOCK.
3. Problem was the Bird was basically a Charger with a nose cone and tail. These were added so that they could hit 200 mph.
4. The Charger, already being VERY LONG, now added a RIDICULOUS looking Nose Cone and UGLY Tail...to an already LOOOONG car.
5. Result: Dealers could not sell these UGLY monstrosities. Many dealers started removing tails and nose cones just to move product (Yep...people hated them back then).
6. Because they removed the ugly tails and noses... only a few of the "limited original lineup" survived. They are SO RARE that originals cost over $1M.
7. The car is more famous for being Ugly than anything else.
8. People actually convert Challengers into these ridiculous contraptions.
9. I respect the car as a NASCAR racer. But driving one of these on the streets is a little better than driving a DONK (If you do drive one...go all out...and sport a "mullet").
10. That is why they RARE. But not the "King."
11. The "King" title belongs to the Fast, Beautiful, Sexy, Cool.... 426 CUDA!!!!! .... and the poor Bird is relegated to a legacy of ridicule :(

Reactions: O_Racing

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have to agree with several others... 70-71 HEMI Cuda hands down winner for me. Nothing else is even close.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I have to agree with several others... 70-71 HEMI Cuda hands down winner for me. Nothing else is even close.
In "In-Violet" please! Also to above long post don't forget that Barracuda was built BEFORE the Mustangs by a few months so we were FIRST not last but my car is no pony! ;)

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Hemi Cuda as most iconic. But I always liked the 1968 Hemi Dart, light weight.

·
Registered
515 Posts
....1970/71 ...426 Hemi-Cuda. PERIOD. Everyone knows this. This is not OPINION. It is FACT.
Have to jump on this bandwagon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great responses, folks. Keep 'em coming...

Don't miss our BIG HEMI® PARTY at MATS 2014, April 11-13. There's still time to register as a spectator or participant! Where else would you rather be than Las Vegas in April?? :browsmiley:

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
71 426 HEMI cuda convertible. 11 made. The Torino collection has 2 of them. It was mentioned by mark in graveyard cars.
They were also restoring one 67 gtx convertible 426 hemi from his collection. 1 of 17 made I believe.
Talk about rare. Check out the Torino collection.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
1971 Hemi R/T Challenger for me. I'll take one in Purple.

·
Registered
456 Posts
This train is picking up speed! 70-71 Cuda! Perfection is the only word that comes to mind when I see one. Does anyone know who designed that car? There should be an award named after him.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I know some will think this is a nitpick but I feel the need to point out that when someone asks "What is the most iconic Hemi ever produced?" answers should be related to the engine, not the car since Hemi refers to a specific engine design, not a car model or manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
What is the most Iconic Hemi Ever produced in your opinion?
A celebration of all things HEMI will be held April 11-13,2014 In Fabulous Las Vegas. For more log on to Mopars At the Strip

Wonder what MATS is an acronym for? Muscle cars At The Strip or Mopars at the Strip
1971 Hemi Cuda! :clap:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts