Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance for my many questions but I’m new to Mopar cars.

im still looking at performance upgrades once I get my R/T Scat Pack. One item that will be an early upgrade is the exhaust. Stock exhaust is always iffy. After looking at the various offerings, I noticed several have this gizmo near the exit. Can anyone tell me what it is and what it’s used for?

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,321 Posts
If your challenger is a 2015 or newer you have active exhaust meaning before you do any mods you need a kit to keep the sensors from throwing a Code.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I would wait until you actually get the car before worrying about how the exhaust sounds.

There is very little to be gained in the way of power by modifying the system unless you plan on doing headers and a tune.

The stock exhaust also sounds good.

If you decide you want a more aggressive sound after you get it, a mid muffler delete is a very low cost and popular mod.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,731 Posts
To answer your question, that is a Helmholtz resonator (Quarter-wavelength tube), to control the offending frequencies a resonator usually handles. J-Pipes is another method used

As mentioned, live with stock exhaust for a while. The stock active exhaust on your new R/T sounds great

A Guy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts