Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Just a quick question to anyone who has had their R/T for a long time.
Im not sure how I stumbled upon it, but apparently some challengers and chargers seem to have a rust issue right in front of the rear wheel wells, on the quarter panel within 5 years. I am just wondering if anyone has come across this or if I am being too paranoid. I want to keep the car forever, so hopefully this isint as widespread as I fear. There was also something about 2015 and up models and having a change to possibly negate that from happening?
My car is rust proofed by Krown and wrapped.
Just wanted to see if anyone has any idea on this.
Thanks!

also p.s would just replacing the quarter panels when it happens avoid the issue ?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I would do a search. It's all years, the 15+ thing is a myth. Winter driving on salted roads is the major factor.

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,295 Posts
Hey everyone,
Im not sure how I stumbled upon it, but apparently some challengers and chargers seem to have a rust issue right in front of the rear wheel wells, on the quarter panel within 5 years. I am just wondering if anyone has come across this or if I am being too paranoid. I want to keep the car forever, so hopefully this isint as widespread as I fear. There was also something about 2015 and up models and having a change to possibly negate that from happening?
Thanks!

also p.s would just replacing the quarter panels when it happens avoid the issue ?
Check out the post below. This is what can happen, but don't painc it's not the majority. You can also take measure to treat the suseptible areas.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
all vehicles that live in the salt belt have issues with rust
People keep saying this, but the rust issues on the Challenger are not "normal". I daily drive vehicles year-round in PA (where there is snow and salt on the roads) and even my 2005 Buick LaCrosse had absolutely no rust on the body when I traded it in for my Challenger in 2018. So that car was 13 years old, driven on salty winter roads and not a hint of body rust. I also still have a 2012 Impala and the same thing - not a hint of rust after 8 years.

I've also read from people that don't drive the car in snowy/salty environments at all and still had the rust issues. From what I've read, the issue is caused by water - not salt. The foam stuff that they spray in the body cavities soaks up water and rusts the panels from the inside out. It's not typical rust that starts on the outside of the panels due to salt residue.

This is a different issue with a different cause. Modern vehicles don't rust from the inside out in as little as 5 years - even when driven year-round in the rust belt - at least not in my experience.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
After reading about water sitting in the foam areas....I drive off immediately after I wash my car.
My neighbors must think I'm a nut speedin' up and down the street and pulling back fast in my garage.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I had the issue with mainly the quarter panel, somewhat with the rocker directly below because of the foam on my first challenger after about 7-8 years. I blame it more on condensation between the metal and foam

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
is there any proof of that ?
i was looking at this link https://www.********************/threads/my-letter-to-chrysler-regarding-rust-issues.126947/page-3
where they were saying that there was a major change to the design ?
The only change was to the rear wheelhouse. The pre 15s used a pinch weld flange. The 15+ uses a rolled hem flange. That's the "major" change people talk about.

That change is irrelevant to the problem. The water that causes the corrosion enters through the plastic rocker cover mounting holes. That moisture gets trapped in the foam and basically just starts eating away over time.

I'm a collision tech and have posted pics of this on 15+ cars before.

·
Registered
929 Posts
The 2015 redesign is just as bad from my research, that part of the car was not redesigned.
As stated in earlier posts, this rust is not normal for 5 year old cars and the issue is it rusts from inside out on very thin sheet metal. People need to stop muddying the waters by saying all cars rust. That’s true, but not like this and this quick.
Dodge has not responded and corrected this issue I think because a) it’s not very widespread, and b) it appears after most warranty is done.

Just the way it is, I still like Challengers and in 8 years and 30,000 miles did not see it on mine. Mind you mine was a summer car.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,898 Posts
The only change was to the rear wheelhouse. The pre 15s used a pinch weld flange. The 15+ uses a rolled hem flange. That's the "major" change people talk about.

That change is irrelevant to the problem. The water that causes the corrosion enters through the plastic rocker cover mounting holes. That moisture gets trapped in the foam and basically just starts eating away over time.

I'm a collision tech and have posted pics of this on 15+ cars before.
It'll be interesting to see if the rolled flanges stay as rust free as the pinched flanges.

Guess time will tell.

·
Registered
534 Posts
The wheel arch was rust free on my car. Problem is near the seam between the quarter panel and the rocker panel

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey everyone,
Thanks!

I bought a Plum RT new in April 2010. By 2014 the car was developing inside out rust in front of the left rear wheel. The next year we noticed bubbles above the right rear wheel. By November this year when the car was rear ended and totaled that rust had grown to all out rot in areas bigger than your hand.
We took a big depreciation hit from the insurance company payoff because of that rust. Two different areas of the wheel well but extremely severe for a car that was taken care of but driven in all weather conditions.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I bought a Plum RT new in April 2010. By 2014 the car was developing inside out rust in front of the left rear wheel. The next year we noticed bubbles above the right rear wheel. By November this year when the car was rear ended and totaled that rust had grown to all out rot in areas bigger than your hand.
We took a big depreciation hit from the insurance company payoff because of that rust. Two different areas of the wheel well but extremely severe for a car that was taken care of but driven in all weather conditions.
Wow. scary stuff about our cars. I bought a retro car but didn't think of the retro rust that would come with it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
cavity wax is the cure...............and no drive in winter !! DONE !!

·
Vendor
13,246 Posts
we sell new vehicles all over the US, our technicians despised anything that’s traded it from northern states, anything more then 3 or 4 years old is a nightmare

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The "problem" is that this Challenger rust issue is way worse than any other car I've ever seen. No modern car should rust through in under 5 years, even in the "rust belt". Like I said, none of my other cars have rusted so quickly. Even after 13 years of daily driving in the "rust belt", my last car was still rust free on the body. We're not talking about things on the underneath of the car rusting here - we're talking about complete rust-through of body panels.

But besides that - there have been people that live in states like Florida reporting the same issue - so it's not just a "rust belt" issue.

Saying "all cars in the rust belt rust out" is a total cop out. It's obvious why these cars are rusting and it has nothing to do with winter or road salt - it's a result of the spray in foam and the fact that it retains water - which then causes the panels to rust out from the inside out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts