Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. I've owned my 14 rt classic for a few years now, but I've never had a reason to check the spare tire well. I took a look recently, and I found this thing attached to the battery in the trunk:

Admittedly, I'm pretty new to the car scene, so any advice as to what this is would be appreciated.

Until then I'm keeping my car above 40mph 馃槀

Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
Reminds me of a capacitor that back in the day (not sure if they are still used) I used to balance out the drain on the car battery when the bass of the subs hit.

Used to be in late 90s early 2000s you could see a cars headlights dim/flicker cause of the strain on the battery from subwoofers. Capacitors helped with that problem.

If you plan on removing them be careful they can pack a pretty good shock.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Reminds me of a capacitor that back in the day (not sure if they are still used) I used to balance out the drain on the car battery when the bass of the subs hit.

Used to be in late 90s early 2000s you could see a cars headlights dim/flicker cause of the strain on the battery from subwoofers. Capacitors helped with that problem.

If you plan on removing them be careful they can pack a pretty good shock.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yea I have 2 subs in the trunk, so that makes sense. Thanks

Premium Member

Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
What the heck is that.

Registered
Bass Capacitor, not sure what brand.

Will-

Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
If I were you, I'd keep my speed above 50MPH...just in case

A Guy

Super Moderator
We have a winner! You are the first to identify this "mystery" device.

According to the website, this is its purpose:

"Memphis capacitor allows reserve power to be stored near your amplifier and available for use when needed. A capacitor is helpful when your amplifiers are drawing more than your vehicle charging system can supply. Capacitors help prevent the stock battery from being overloaded and allow you to continue pushing your system to the limits."

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
We have a winner! You are the first to identify this "mystery" device.

According to the website, this is its purpose:

"Memphis capacitor allows reserve power to be stored near your amplifier and available for use when needed. A capacitor is helpful when your amplifiers are drawing more than your vehicle charging system can supply. Capacitors help prevent the stock battery from being overloaded and allow you to continue pushing your system to the limits."
馃檶Thanks for looking into this. There are two 12" subs in the trunk, so that makes sense

Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
Had one in my high school car (88 accord) cause I had two 12 inch subs in the back. When those things hit all the lights would dim, so I put in the capacitor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts