Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 19' Scat pack. It rolled off the truck and I drove it off the lot. It had 8 miles on it. This was 3 Weeks ago. The other day I was looking closely at everything in the engine compartment and noticed this orange Crap on my engine block. And a speck on my headers.

Not really sure how it could be rust since the car is new. Although who knows how old or where the engine block was sitting.

Does anyone else have this on theirs?
I'm guessing its not actually rust. Wondering if anyone knows what it is.

Also Just wanted to say a general thanks to everyone here. Ive been reading these threads a lot over the last 3 week's since my new car purchase. You guys have helped a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
yep, that is absolutley rust on untreated metal.
oh, be sure you do not look too closely at your front suspension components if you are easily upset, after paying tens of thousands of dollars for a brand new car, that leaves the plant with exposed bare metal.
Mine had rust the day it got off the truck at the dealership :mad:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, be sure you do not look too closely at your front suspension components if you are easily upset, after paying tens of thousands of dollars for a brand new car, that leaves the plant with exposed bare metal.
Wtf! I don't recall seeing this on any of my other vehicles. Maybe I never cared enough to look that closely since they werent my dream cars. Ive been wanting a challenger since they re-released.

I guess its common if yours had it too. I mean. Everyone knows rust is bad but.... I guess it cant eat through a engine block. I guess there isn't anything I can do about it ?

Getting my daily driver back soon. Going to have to check that engine bay closely. Now I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The 1st time I pulled a front wheel I almost passed out when I saw the rust. Now on the 4th Challenger and the 1st week of owning the car I pull the wheels to Ceramic Coat them and the Calipers. While the wheels are off I hit all the rusty spots with Rustoleum black.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay i don't feel so bad now. I also found this was already posted here.

Long story short ive waited 10 years for this car. So seeing my pride and joy covered in rust I think put me into shock and denial.

So much so when i tried to search for this issue I literally put "Orange Crap on engine block" ? I refused to believe it was rust. I actually told myself maybe its some protective orange coating ?
So the thread I came across was about how we have orange painted engine blocks.

After getting my response from hemi I did a proper search calling it what it was and sure enough found a thread here. Rust on engine block. Basically everyone said in that thread don't even worry about it. Common since its not an aluminium engine block.

I saw people are using corroseal on their front suspension to get rid of the rust. Should i even bother? I can only get to so much of the engine to brush it on. So the parts I can't get to it'll just spread right back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had this on an brand new '17 SRT Grand Cherokee a few years back.
Aluminum corroded, rust.
I had a fit before I found out, and finally accepted, the fact that it's common.
Auto part Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive exterior Engine

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,194 Posts
All 3 of my Porsche cars came with some kind of coating on the underneath of the car on the engine and running gear to prevent corrosion.

I snapped some pics of my new Cayman S that shows this coating.

Here's a pic. The engine is all aluminum. The brown in the coating.

Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive engine part

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
I wonder why they don't paint he engines like they used to? blue was a non performance motor, hemi orange was on the performance engines, the magnum, 5.2 and 5.9 were black, before the blue the engines were red..... They could do something similar now.

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
313 Posts
All 3 of my Porsche cars came with some kind of coating on the underneath of the car on the engine and running gear to prevent corrosion.

I snapped some pics of my new Cayman S that shows this coating.

Here's a pic. The engine is all aluminum. The brown in the coating.

View attachment 981655
Cosmoline?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,194 Posts
Cosmoline?
Or something very similar. The coating was not "wet" nor that sticky as I recall. But it was effective.

While I didn't have the Cayman S that long another car I owned nearly 16 years, and a 3rd car I owned 8 years and both came new with the same undercoating applied underneath and there was no corrosion showing even at the end of my ownership.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
All 392's and 6.1's have been painted orange.

I'm assuming that the 6.2's are too.

Hellcat orange, Demon red, and your guess is as good as mine regarding the Redeye...

Had this on an brand new '17 SRT Grand Cherokee a few years back.
Aluminum corroded, rust.
I had a fit before I found out, and finally accepted, the fact that it's common.

Was really bummed after few years in Washington state, every bit of aluminum on the cars were corroded, just like your picture. Was so annoyed that I sprayed WD 40 on them to prevent it from getting worse. Moved back to the desert and that issue is now history...

HOT ROD ON

1 - 14 of 14 Posts