Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed my car today and I thought this was just salt but I can't get it to come off. I scrubbed and scrubbed but it wouldnt come off. Is the paint scuffed really bad from gravels or what is it and what should I do to fix it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks like road gunk sprayed up from your tires and sandblasted the paint. I would post this in the detail section or maybe one of the sites listed in the detail section to see how to correct it.

A set of mud flaps/guards might be a good idea also.

Good luck.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like road gunk sprayed up from your tires and sandblasted the paint. I would post this in the detail section or maybe one of the sites listed in the detail section to see how to correct it.

A set of mud flaps/guards might be a good idea also.

Good luck.
I just got my mud flaps in the mail yesterday lol. I'm putting them on tomorrow.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just put some WD40 on it and then washed it off and now you can't see it. I don't know if that took it off or if it is just hiding it though.

·
Registered
651 Posts
How long has it been there ?

If it just appeared then it's probably something chemical,
if it has been there longer could very well be rock / gravel abrasion.

Drop by a body / paint shop and see what they think it is.

(wouldn't hurt dropping by a tire shop too)
:smoker:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long has it been there ?

If it just appeared then it's probably something chemical,
if it has been there longer could very well be rock / gravel abrasion.

Drop by a boby / paint shop and see what they think it is.

It wasn't there the last time I hand washed my car but that was Thanksgiving day. Today was the first day I could wash it by hand because of the cold weather we've been having.

·
Registered
723 Posts
:smoker:[/QUOTE]

Dude, is that tire as slick as it appears? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dude, is that tire as slick as it appears? :scratchhead:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've already ordered new tires they're on the way.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Did you drive through a road construction site where maybe they were cutting the concrete, I did this once (couldnt avoid it). They use water on the blade for lube and to keep the dust down however it turns into a concrete liquid residue that is very hard to get off. Especially when it dries.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you drive through a road construction site where maybe they were cutting the concrete, I did this once (couldnt avoid it). They use water on the blade for lube and to keep the dust down however it turns into a concrete liquid residue that is very hard to get off. Especially when it dries.
Its not concrete its too smooth.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hey Dude not for nothing but you havn't washed your car in how long ?
Geeezz what do you expect it to look like with that kind of neglect.
Just sayin they have do it your self car washes ya know

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Dude not for nothing but you havn't washed your car in how long ?
Geeezz what do you expect it to look like with that kind of neglect.
Just sayin they have do it your self car washes ya know
I said I hadn't HAND washed it since then. I do not neglect my car it take it through an undercarriage wash at least once a week in winter and I spray it off at the quarter car washes twice a week sometimes it is definately not neglected it has just been too cold to hand wash it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today was the first day since december that its been out of the low 40s. Like I said it gets washed at least once a week just not by hand. Do you mean my finish is a mess everywhere or are you talking about that spot behind the tires?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought some rubbing compound and a buffer last night and you can't see it anywhere except for the left front now and you can't really see it unless you're looking for it but I'll probably still take it by a body shop and see what they think.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It looks like sand abrasion from road salts.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Lol...this thread is hilarious!! I feel the same way when I see dirty Challengers. I haven't washed mine in over a month but I never drive in rain and I always wipe her off after I drive her to include the insides of my wheels. I keep the dirt devil handy for any debris that may get on the floor mats. I'm making a statement with this car so my shit has to be in order!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts