Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months I've been looking around on AutoTrader at used Hellcats, just to get an idea of what the market is like, and I can't find ANY decent ones below $50k. This is very different compared to how things were before the pandemic. I found them in the low to mid 40's back then. What gives?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Manufacturers stopped making new ones for the lots. Part shortages. Used car prices are spiking as a result.

·
Banned
2021 Scat Pack
206 Posts
For months I've been looking around on AutoTrader at used Hellcats, just to get an idea of what the market is like, and I can't find ANY decent ones below $50k. This is very different compared to how things were before the pandemic. I found them in the low to mid 40's back then. What gives?
Why didn‘t you buy one ‘back then’?

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
You can order a new one, you just might have to wait 6 months or more. The problem is that people are suckers and will overpay more to get a used/newish one instead of waiting that long. Sellers know this and are just taking advantage of the suckers. I don't agree with price-gouging, but why wouldn't they? It's a luxury after all.

Me personally, I would just order new and wait instead supporting an overly inflated used market.

·
Banned
2021 Scat Pack
206 Posts
You can order a new one, you just might have to wait 6 months or more. The problem is that people are suckers and will overpay more to get a used/newish one instead of waiting that long. Sellers know this and are just taking advantage of the suckers. I don't agree with price-gouging, but why wouldn't they? It's a luxury after all.

Me personally, I would just order new and wait instead supporting an overly inflated used market.
Got mine in 6 weeks?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Truth be told, after thinking about it more I shouldn't be buying a new car anytime soon, I'm sort of living at the edge of my means at the moment and I have debts I really need to pay off before I think about upgrading. I've even thought about trading in my SRT 392 for a used V6 Grand Cherokee...but everytime I think about pulling the trigger on that, I just can't do it :/

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
587 Posts
V6 Grand Cherokee is a solid ride, that's my daily driver.

Reactions: GSBrockman

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
V6 Grand Cherokee is a solid ride, that's my daily driver.
Yeah, it does just about everything I need it to and I'd love an AWD version since I live in New Mexico. I just can't (yet) stomach getting rid of my Challenger...even though it makes financial sense.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
Manufacturers stopped making new ones for the lots. Part shortages. Used car prices are spiking as a result.
To the tune of about a 25% increase in the last 8 to 10 months or so....

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To the tune of about a 25% increase in the last 8 to 10 months or so....
I guess that's a good reason not to go trading in my Challenger for a cheaper car...I don't want to end up $4-5k underwater on a loan.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
"To the tune of about a 25% increase in the last 8 to 10 months or so.... "
This is why you should go new and be patient if that's an option.
Used car market is a fool's market right now. IMO.

Reactions: Revtime and Klink

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"To the tune of about a 25% increase in the last 8 to 10 months or so.... "
This is why you should go new and be patient if that's an option.
Used car market is a fool's market right now. IMO.
You're not wrong. But I'm definitely not buying new either, I don't feel like paying for all of that depreciation.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
You're not wrong. But I'm definitely not buying new either, I don't feel like paying for all of that depreciation.
I understand. And usually that would be the case.
But right now, I could sell my 21' Scat for more than I paid for it.
What's worse, paying @ 25% premium used or taking the potential depreciation on new?
Strange times!

Reactions: Minnesota Muscle

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
You don't think the same thing will happen if you buy an overvalued used car? Let's suppose the automakers actually decide to sort out their supply chain issues a year from now, and start mass-producing like normal again. That used car you just paid new price for will come crashing back down to Earth even faster than new car depreciation will.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You don't think the same thing will happen if you buy an overvalued used car? Let's suppose the automakers actually decide to sort out their supply chain issues a year from now, and start mass-producing like normal again. That used car you just paid new price for will come crashing back down to Earth even faster than new car depreciation will.
I acknowledged that earlier, when I said that the inflated used car market was a good reason not to trade in my Challenger for a cheaper vehicle, at least temporarily.

I understand. And usually that would be the case.
But right now, I could sell my 21' Scat for more than I paid for it.
What's worse, paying @ 25% premium used or taking the potential depreciation on new?
Strange times!
Very strange times indeed...AWD V6 Grand Cherokees in good condition, that are 4-8 years old, are going for the low 20's these days. I remember seeing them in the $15-$17k range a year or so ago. Guess it would be a bad idea to trade in right now. I'd only be saving around $300-$400 a month realistically anyway (lower payment and insurance, gas savings), which wouldn't make up for being $4-6k underwater on a new car loan a year or so from now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts