Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two other vehicles that get driven daily never seem to get any rock chips. I have several already in the Challenger, and had to replace the windshield twice. I don't follow gravel trucks, nor do I drive incredibly fast or tailgate. I might as well take this thing off-road. What gives? is the paint really not that durable? Now I am thinking that I need to get PPF.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,038 Posts
Yup, the paint isn't that durable, plus its a big flat front area. I put PPF on the front of my new Challenger, it's the best protection to not driving it lol.

Reactions: SFCR

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Paint is thin on these cars. My friends Charger (I am assuming same paint as Challenger) had a chip on the paint. I ran my finger across it and it barely had an edge to it. My 87 Jaguar XJS had one chip in it and and the paint was so thick it nearly cut my finger when I ran it across.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
It's a must for the WB cars, PPF on the front of the front and rear flares, plus the usual on the front fascia. I've gone far as to add the ZL1 Addons Rock Guards and side skirts for max protection from Mr. Gravelly Bits.

Reactions: SFCR and Cabdriver

·
Registered
430 Posts
im getting ready to pick up my mew widebody and need ppf advice... i dont like ppf lines so what do i get coated?

i was thinking the front nose,wheel flares and mirrors possably the lower doors? i already have the swaim rock guards that will go on right after the ppf. so do i do the full hood? i too think ill pick up the zl1 side skirts as they certainly cant hurt.. any advice?

·
Registered
99 Posts
thin paint. had small debri chip off the paint and not leave any ding on the actual surface of my fender and bumpers. i would have gladly pay few hundred for the 3m film on the front end if Dodge offered that option

·
Registered
346 Posts
This is the weakest part of the car. I know one of the managers who used to work at the Bramaelea plant where these cars are assembled. They are in dire need of a new paint shop and still have yet to upgrade it. That is the highest complaint of the car is the poor quality paint job. I too have multiple paint chips for a car that’s driven 60,000 miles. I have about 18,500 miles. That’s my biggest complaint also. The paint jobs are horrible.

Reactions: MorrisGray

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,849 Posts
I thought they upgraded the paint plant in 2017 as part of the deal they worked out with the union in 2016?

A Guy

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I thought they upgraded the paint plant in 2017 as part of the deal they worked out with the union in 2016?

A Guy
The Brampton plants paint facility was upgraded, don't know what place he is talking about.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think it is more the front end is flat than the Paint. I am getting PPF on mine as soon as it awakens from its winter nap

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a few chips in the front fascia, I would expect that. I also have two on the right front fender a foot and more from the front. It just seems to be a magnet. I hear the smacks on the windshield and have no clue who is throwing rocks at me on the freeway. It's like the girl is jinxed.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,849 Posts
The Brampton plants paint facility was upgraded, don't know what place he is talking about.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I just assumed autocorrect in his post somehow, we know they are assembled in Brampton ;)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
I am going to do what I can to deal with this when my WB comes in but pretty hard to justify 5k in PPF/Ceramic/Guards on a new car you just paid >50k for. That was $ painful enough!

·
Registered
102 Posts
On my 2017 I didnt get any chips, but any hits left a mark that would eventually pop back out. Looked like "self healing paint", way too soft. It was thick enough, just looked like hell with all the black marks on the rear mirrors from stones.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
On my 2017 I didnt get any chips, but any hits left a mark that would eventually pop back out. Looked like "self healing paint", way too soft. It was thick enough, just looked like hell with all the black marks on the rear mirrors from stones.
Self healing? Hmmmmmm.....sounds like PPF. Have you owned it since new? Just wondering.....

·
Registered
346 Posts
They need a whole new paint shop over haul. They may have done some rework.
Yeah, I just assumed autocorrect in his post somehow, we know they are assembled in Brampton ;)

A Guy
It actually wasn’t a typo. I still refer it to Bramalea even though it’s now a Brampton. I apologize for that. A lot of our guys (trades) even union reps will still call it that being that wash the original plant when it opened up back in the day.
A Guy
Yes it was an auto correct thank you! Ironically the original plant was Bramalea when it was American motors. Some of the older fellas still call it Bramalea. Yes it is Brampton assembly. In the original contract they were promised a brand new paint shop from the ground up. What I failed to say yes they had a retool in 2018. They are still having issues with thin paint and thin clear coat. I love my car but not impressed with the paint. I have a thin spot as soon as you pop the hood right in the middle of the hood engine side. I can see the primer under the thin layer of paint. I really didn’t notice it because after I wash it, I always back it up into the garage to dry it off out of the sun which is usually in the morning. I just applied a nice vinyl Mopar decal over it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the ppf on my latest Challenger. Cant even tell its there unless Im looking for it. I did not like it at first but living in the north east its a big help now that we are finally thawing out and there are pebbles & rocks all over.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts