Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My extended warranty covers all non-wear type items, yet the dealership is telling me they will charge me a $129 diagnosis fee if they look at my AC and find it to be an issue that is not covered??? It is not blowing near as cold as it used to....and the pressure is low according to them...how else could there be loss of pressure/refrigerant without a leak or the compressor seals, both of which would be covered?
They are already rebuilding the transmission under warranty, seems like they are on a witch hunt to get some $$ out of me.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The problem will occur if they can't find a leak. I understand that it makes no sense
but their reply will be that they can't find anything wrong (even though the pressure
is low). This happened to me one time and they did add refrigerant and the pressure
never dropped again for as long as I owned the car.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,034 Posts
Look at it this way - when they do any work on your car, even something like just diagnosing the a/c's low pressure, there is going to be a bill for labor (and possibly parts) that has to be paid by someone. You believe your extended warranty should be responsible for payment of that bill, and I am not disagreeing with you, I think the same.

However, it is possible for events to transpire in such a fashion that the extended warranty is not on the hook for the work that is done. In that scenario, their bill still has be paid, and the extended warranty is not going to be paying it. So that leaves you as the responsible party for settling up.

Is that likely to happen? I don't know...it just depends on what the actual problem is.

Has it happened to someone in the past? You bet. That's why they made it a point to let you know that it could happen here.

They could have probably handled the situation with more tact I am guessing, but they are just covering their arses in the event things go south. I can't pour too much Hatorade on them for that...

·
Registered
153 Posts
If your condenser had a hole in it from hitting something like a small rock or debris.....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
If your condenser had a hole in it from hitting something like a small rock or debris.....

Or if it is simply not blowing cold air. They'll find any number of reasons not to pay...., that's how warranty companies make their money. I've never purchased any kind of additional or extended warranty for anything in my life (Cars, home appliances, lawn mowers, power tools, etc....). If/when something breaks I take the money I didn't pay for an extended warranty and I have the item repaired or replaced. Life is too short to be dealing with warranty companies who's main focus is to not pay while making your life miserable. Just my 2cents........ :|

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger Scatpack Torred
129 Posts
Try a different dealership. I've had free diagnoses on multitudes of issues non warranty related. Long as vehicle has bumper to bumper on it, they're liable to check it out.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, helpful insight. If they tell me nothing is wrong, then I will just charge it up myself, I know how to do that myself. The warranty is coming in handy for the transmission rebuild. I generally do not buy the extended warranty either, but did in this case mainly due to another reason that in fact turned out to be a lie by the salesman, but that's another issue about my wheels... Anyway, I guess I will find out next week, I guess overall I can't complain much even if they get me on the hook for a few hundred bucks with a new trans, differential serviced, and AC fixed.

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
Yes you can do it yourself but can you draw down the coolant and add a specific amount like they can?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just do not, i repeat, DO NOT add any kind of conditioner or leak stop, it will run your entire system, and i guess have r134a, because 1234yj is $10 an ounce and only sold in 30 lb bottles as of now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No prob doing it myself, my Dad was an AC/refrig tech

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So they had car car for over 4 weeks to replace the transmission, and of course they said they could not find a leak in the AC system so they charged me to diagnosis fee $129. Oh well, the transmission was covered under warranty, they couldn't get out of that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts