Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my biggest concerns with buying an SRT as a daily driver is the fuel economy. What are some averages? Thanks!!

·
Registered
834 Posts
I avg around 13 with mostly city/mixed hwy. This week I've had an 80 mile round
trip commute w/o much traffic and I'm avg about 19 for the week. If it's all freeway
I can get up to 23-24, better if I slowed down a little.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've only got 4 tanks through mine and I'd be guessing it at about 15mpg

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I used to get about 16mpg before I installed my GT Haus cat-back system with a mix of city and highway driving. I short shifted, backed out of the gas early, coasted to stop signs, the works. Now I shift late, cruise aroumd one gear lower than before, and average less than 12mpg. If it helps, my 32,000 lb diesel RV gets 10.5mpg, at least its not THAT bad..

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have filled up 21 times since purchasing my car. I have an Average Mileage of 16.4, best is 22.4 worst is 11.7. Of the 21 fillups 7 were highway, the rest are short distances around town.

·
Registered
150 Posts
HA....if you care about fuel mileage you won't buy the SRT8. These cars do get ok mpg IF you keep your foot out of it.

Driving a 6spd SRT8 and keeping your foot out of it IS NOT, I'll say that again, IS NOT possible to do.

That being said I've gotten a best of 24 on highway trips and a worst of 11 in town with light to light bursts. I usually average about 15-17. I really don't pay much attention to it as it was of no concern when I purchased her. The last two vehicles I owned were trucks, one of which a lifted 08 Ram 2500 Power Wagon w/ 37" mud tires and a 900lb custom front bumper getting a wopping 8.5 in town and 16 highway.

I like to have fun and don't really care about what it takes to get there as long as I don't go broke and have a buffer :)

On a serious note, keep your right leg controlled and don't cruise in 6th (has been discussed to be a pretty pointless gear) unless your cruising the autobahn(my dream with this car). Shift between 2700-3000rpm. Intake, 180 thermostat and free flowing exhaust would help but then once you hear the raw hemi goodness, the controlling of the right foot goes back out the window.

Bottom line......get the SRT8 anyway and you won't regret it. I went from an RT to an SRT and I'm glad I did

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow good stuff guys. Especially that Fuelly website. Great evidence. It seems to be the average amongst you all is about 15-17 per tank. Not horrible, but I am getting that now in my Frontier, and it drives me nuts to fill it up so often, and it's regular fuel with a cheap @$$ payment. I think I should ask this same question again for the R/T folks, just to compare apples to oranges.

Reactions: WTXB

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I have to admit I was a little surprised at the topic of this thread. SRT and Fuel Mileage.
First I want to say that this is my personal opinion and just my opinion.

I purchased a SRT FF Challenger with a 425 Horse power enging and never even considered that question. And have never even calculated it in the last 15,000 km I have put on it.

As well, when I ordered my 707 HP Hellcat SRT I havent even looked at the ratings for MPG Only numbers I am interested in are 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile.

Reactions: Mike67

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
I like to stay in the power and and am rarely under 2k rpm, mpg 12-15 in town and worth every cent for the sheer enjoyment.

Reactions: Mike67
1 - 12 of 12 Posts