Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's car - 2010 Challenger R/T

Passenger side headlight went out - no low or high beam. I'm no hardcore mechanic but I can certainly change out a headlight BUT when I twisted out the "bulb" socket there is no bulb, just some wires running into (and apparently well attached) somewhere inside the headlight assembly casing. I'm not familiar with HID lights but this doesn't look anything like what I see online. Anyone know what kind of headlight this is and/or how to change it out? I hate to have to go to the dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, but no. When I take loose the "bulb" housing, there is no bulb on it, just some red wires (I think 4, I'd have to look again to be sure) that go inside the fixture and then split into 2 sets of wires. The hole is only the size of a standard replacement bulb, so I can't get my hand in there to figure out where those wires go but they are attached to something (i.e. don't pull out freely).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thank you for your help. Looks like a visit to the dealer service department...................... DANG!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,124 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk bgoodwill. Even an HID is a bulb. Picture would be worth a 1000 words. If the car had Angel Eyes, or halos installed, the existing bulb could possibly not be there. Was the car bought new? Do the headlights look like rings as in this video?

Stock lights would be a bulb

A Guy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you Ken Kamins! I was looking for a hard plastic cover like I have seen on You Tube videos (newer cars?). It makes sense that the softer rubber covering is what's on my car. Should be an easy fix now that I know that. So many dollars saved by avoiding the dealer.

Addendum: So I changed out the HID light bulb once I knew what I was looking for. It was less difficult than I expected from other posts/you tube videos as I was able to reach inside from the top of the engine bay, but definitely not an easy job the first time around. I'm confident I can do it again in 20 minutes or less the next time I have a light go out ;) I REALLY appreciate your responses and am so glad I didn't have to take it in to the dealer that quoted me a minimum of $300 for the job. Isn't the internet a wonder??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It will be best/easiest if you have some small hands available, so if your's are on the larger size, maybe you can talk someone into helping you. There's not a lot of room in there to work, but it's reasonably straightforward once you know the cover is a round black rubber piece that just pulls off and that you can only pull the socket out about 3/4" to get to the bulb.

I replaced it with a Sylvania bulb with the same # as the original, but wouldn't you know that now I can't remember which one it was. Check the manual or with your local auto parts store. It's the one that costs $100 - but if you have time and can order them online you can get a pair for $36!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts