Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased an R/T, very happy. I would like to know what models offer the air intake through the inboard headlight, as I am not familiar with all the models and options. thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but maybe all of the Challengers from 2015 on up can do it? I have a 2016 R/T Plus and I have that option and I have removed both of my caps. I have seen someone with a 2016 SXT Plus have them and remove them as well.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,475 Posts
All Challengers 2015 and up have an opening. The 2019s with illuminated headlight tubes have a different assembly, and that cap is held on by set screws. It can be opened as well

A Guy

Reactions: stevewhite

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,258 Posts
BTW Merrick has light tubes that work on 2015+ models.

·
Registered
473 Posts
yeah, I have a 2019, and the inner headlight 'tubes' are lit up. They are cool looking. The tube is lit up like in a 'hounds tooth' pattern, but I think its really a series of the two slash marks indicating 'Dodge'. (In black) .
I like the attention to detail. All these small things really add up. Makes you smile about your Challenger.

Unfortunately, I ordered the GenPartsCo two pack set of small screens for the inner headlight tubes. I can't use them, once I got them here. If I put them in, you can't see the lit up tubes ! I am a do-dah, I spent $80 bucks on screens I can't use. I use the Trunk strap (y)
I may sell the tube screens. They are excellent quality, I havn't decided yet.

Yes the tubes are capped. Dead end for that air going in there. I may drill a series of small holes in the cap so air can pass through to the engine compartment. Put polyester type filter material, like from AC panel filter, cut circular, at the end of the tube, and let the air go into the engine compartment after going through the filter in the 'tube'. provide ventilation.
I have the 'Shaker ' option, so I don't really need this air from the headlight tube in the air cleaner box. But it could be useful for ventilation of the engine compartment. If I just remove the capped ends, no filter, it will just dirty up the engine with dust, pollen and bugs. Don't need that.
I need to put some kind of filter in that tube if I open it up. Has to be easy to change.
So many variables with the car, Its great.
Have a good one !

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
yeah, I have a 2019, and the inner headlight 'tubes' are lit up. They are cool looking. The tube is lit up like in a 'hounds tooth' pattern, but I think its really a series of the two slash marks indicating 'Dodge'. (In black) .
I like the attention to detail. All these small things really add up. Makes you smile about your Challenger.

Unfortunately, I ordered the GenPartsCo two pack set of small screens for the inner headlight tubes. I can't use them, once I got them here. If I put them in, you can't see the lit up tubes ! I am a do-dah, I spent $80 bucks on screens I can't use. I use the Trunk strap (y)
I may sell the tube screens. They are excellent quality, I havn't decided yet.

Yes the tubes are capped. Dead end for that air going in there. I may drill a series of small holes in the cap so air can pass through to the engine compartment. Put polyester type filter material, like from AC panel filter, cut circular, at the end of the tube, and let the air go into the engine compartment after going through the filter in the 'tube'. provide ventilation.
I have the 'Shaker ' option, so I don't really need this air from the headlight tube in the air cleaner box. But it could be useful for ventilation of the engine compartment. If I just remove the capped ends, no filter, it will just dirty up the engine with dust, pollen and bugs. Don't need that.
I need to put some kind of filter in that tube if I open it up. Has to be easy to change.
So many variables with the car, Its great.
Have a good one !

From what others have posted, there are 2 screws to undo and then you can remove the cap.

·
Registered
63 Posts
OK - So do I understand this correct that my 2018 RT+ has removable caps.?? Is there a flirt to help eliminate dust/dirt? We live in the south so anyone that is familiar with the pollen in the spring understands why I am asking - Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,475 Posts
Once the headlights are open, there are two holes unless you do anything to them.

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
908 Posts
I'm not sure what you're asking or what you're trying to do so hope this info is useful. It appears that most if not all Challengers can use the MOPAR cold air intake system (77072385) to port air from the drivers side inner light to the air box. I have this part installed on my Scat Pack.
Steve White Parts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reason I am asking is that I may buy a model in the future and want to know which models have this along with the 392. thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
The reason I am asking is that I may buy a model in the future and want to know which models have this along with the 392. thanks
the 2018 T/A 392‘S have the open headlights, the drivers side with the tube piped into the air filter. Not sure if the 2019 Scats do or not.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
OK - So do I understand this correct that my 2018 RT+ has removable caps.?? Is there a flirt to help eliminate dust/dirt? We live in the south so anyone that is familiar with the pollen in the spring understands why I am asking - Thanks.
As the above post says, the headlight opening feeds the factory air box... with cold air, so it goes through your existing filter, there are mesh type filters available after market that fit to the headlight opening to stop larger objects as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts