Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What modern years match certain vintage years style wise do you guys think?

For example the 2017 shares the grill style of the 1970.

Are there some model years that to you unmistakably match certain styling elements of vintage model years?

This is just for fun and I was wondering who has noticed what when comparing.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Are you referring to all cars, or just Challengers?

The grill and tail lights of the 2008-2014 Challenger models were patterned after the 1970 model.

The ones on the 2015-2018 were patterned after the 1971 model.

And just like the 70 Challenger styling cues were superior to the 71 and later (lets not talk about the 72/73 "fish-faced Challengers", the Pre-2015 style is much cooler (from the down-turned lower grill to the full-width tail-light) than the Post-2015 models.

·
Registered
118 Posts
A couple other items that have carried over are the RT side stripes that also come on the modern RT Classic (slightly different beginning in 2015) and the gas caps, also taken from the vintage models. The hood scoops of course are patterned off the classics, including the shaker. On the more minor side are the Challenger side script emblems and the side mirrors.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I added some "badging" to my 2013 R/T Classic to pay homage to the 1970.

Added Red "345" numbers next to the stock "HEMI" badge for homage to the "440 Six Pack" badge.
Added Red R/T below the scripted "Challenger" on the fender.
Added modern DODGE letters to the hood.

See photo of mine, and the 1970 I used for inspiration.

I also replaced the chrome fuel door with a black one...just because the chrome looked out of place.

I considered getting the rally wheels and hood pins, but haven't pulled the trigger....yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
And just like the 70 Challenger styling cues were superior to the 71 and later (lets not talk about the 72/73 "fish-faced Challengers", the Pre-2015 style is much cooler (from the down-turned lower grill to the full-width tail-light) than the Post-2015 models.

Says you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
694 Posts
I added some "badging" to my 2013 R/T Classic to pay homage to the 1970.

Added Red "345" numbers next to the stock "HEMI" badge for homage to the "440 Six Pack" badge.
Added Red R/T below the scripted "Challenger" on the fender.
Added modern DODGE letters to the hood.

See photo of mine, and the 1970 I used for inspiration.

I also replaced the chrome fuel door with a black one...just because the chrome looked out of place.

I considered getting the rally wheels and hood pins, but haven't pulled the trigger....yet.
i did my '09 a little different than original 70's as don't think they had dodge & r/t decal the same year but liked it & of course had to add the hood pins. the new mopar hood pins are a work of art in either chrome or black, not cheap like the 70's ones

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Maybe the next gen Challengers will mimic the 72-73 model? :)
I sure hope not. Those were what I called the "fish-face" Challengers. Butt-fugly front grill.

They need to style of off of one of the Cuda's. I'm partial to the yellow 71 rag-top.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
To progress the '72 - '74 would be an obvious mistake, now the Cuda idea from the above post could add a whole new life to the platform and extend the production years... at least until it is time to start from 1970 again... :nerd:

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't understand why Dodge hasn't..... Camaro and Mustang have ragtop options not to mention most other performance cars. :|

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I don't understand why Dodge hasn't..... Camaro and Mustang have ragtop options not to mention most other performance cars. :|
Maybe we need a grass-roots movement for a drop-top Challenger. Heck if we can put an orange-faced reality-TV personality in the White House ahead of the "most qualified candidate who's ever run".....(someone else's words, not mine)....surely we could get Fiat/Chrysler to give us a rag-top muscle car. And I know, don't call you "Shirley".

·
Registered
97 Posts
To each his own. I think the rear end of the '70 model was somewhat ugly compared to the '72-'73. Like they couln't come up with a good design so they just ran the tail lights all the way across. The front end I have no preference since they are so close other than the '73 had those god awful (and removable) rubber bumpers on them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts