Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at my car and my mods. My PB at Atco in mid 30 degree weather yesterday was 12.411 and I was able to consistently run 12.4s.

So, without going supercharged or turbo, staying NA what mods (in what order) would you suspect puts me into an 11.9?

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
you could try a heads and cam combo and slicks. if that doesnt do it at least you can reuse the heads and cam when you get a 426

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you consider adding nitrous as staying NA? That would get you there.
Nah. Rather not.

You have decent times Tony. Hanging out with John is a bonus.
Thank, and yes, it's been a bonus.

You could try dropping weight.
But I'm pretty much in good shape. I go to the gym. I eat ok.

Heads/cam combo, high stall converter (about 3500 or more), weight reduction and drag radials. You'll be well into the 11s then.
Here's some stuff I need to add to my original question...

What kind of money am I looking at?

Is this stuff safe to do in terms of high percent chances I'll snap axles and stuff?

What is the biggest differences between slicks and DRs on the strip?

Do I need to "forge" anything doing stuff like mentioned with heads and cams?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I would think you are set with wheels now. After that (11.9), you are going to want more. I can see it now. PB yesterday was great, but already wanting more. lmao.....We are all the same....Save for a blower and end it. Keep mild boost, and don't sweat it. I know my next move would have to be a motor once I achieve my current goals. I said I would NEVER do that, and am already thinking about it...However, I know I will never do a roll bar so it may not make sense for me.

Racing sure is fun though!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
1. Heads cam probably around 3k.
2. You wont snap your axles at that level of HP, esp. in an auto
3. At this level, not much
4. No, forging really is a big benefit with a power adder like a supercharger etc

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK funny guy the cars weight lol. No heads and cam will not need forged pistons and I doubt NOS would if you keep it small.

:satan:

I know what you meant and my response would be that I don't want to remove seats or anything that extensive.

1. Heads cam probably around 3k. Sounds like a bargain compared to a blower
2. You wont snap your axles at that level of HP, esp. in an auto I've heard otherwise, that it can happen currently IF I really stick hard on launch with a high stall converter
3. At this level, not much
4. No, forging really is a big benefit with a power adder like a supercharger etc This is good to hear!
I would think you are set with wheels now. After that (11.9), you are going to want more. I can see it now. PB yesterday was great, but already wanting more. lmao.....We are all the same....Save for a blower and end it. Keep mild boost, and don't sweat it. I know my next move would have to be a motor once I achieve my current goals. I said I would NEVER do that, and am already thinking about it...However, I know I will never do a roll bar so it may not make sense for me.

Racing sure is fun though!!!!
Won't take much more for you to need a roll bar as is. lol

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
all you need is a TC 3800, and some skinnys up front, that will get you real close if not an 11.9. Thats the cheapest mod and thats the next step. After that you could change the gear if the TC don't get you there. If you change the gear say bye bye to highway speeds like 140 plus. You will still be able to go fast like 140 but you wont be able to do it with the cruise control on.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
11.5 you need a roll bar and harnass and maybe a fire jacket

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
A converter will get you roughly 2 tenths. That with heads and cam will get you there.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
how much air did you run in the DR's? How much air did you have up front?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A converter will get you roughly 2 tenths. That with heads and cam will get you there.
Hey, nice to see an old friend check in! How's the 'stang doing on the track?

So heads and cam get 2 tenths?

all you need is a TC 3800, and some skinnys up front, that will get you real close if not an 11.9. Thats the cheapest mod and thats the next step. After that you could change the gear if the TC don't get you there. If you change the gear say bye bye to highway speeds like 140 plus. You will still be able to go fast like 140 but you wont be able to do it with the cruise control on.
Josh was talking to me about a stall converter. He mentioned about one that would keep me very street-able, but I can't remember what it was exactly.

What's involved with the gear change (money and issues wise). Sounds like I won't want it if I'm not happy on the street as well.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Hey, nice to see an old friend check in! How's the 'stang doing on the track?

So heads and cam get 2 tenths?

It is fast...but this is not the place to talk about that...lol.

My converter picked me up 2 tenths in my RT. I had a 3000 PI and it was very street friendly. I think that with heads and a cam will get you in the solid 11's.

·
Banned
333 Posts
Torque converter should be your next step.

From there, you can go with front skinnies, headers, and tune. That should be enough to get your 11.99 if the DA gods are looking down on you.

Beyond that, heads + cam will definitely get it done.

Also, if you are not dead-set on doing it N/A, a small shot of giggle gas will do it without any other mods. Cheap speed for sure...right Tony?!:)

·
Registered
638 Posts
For us RT owners.....I noticed the OP has an SRT...I have an RT. I am at 12.50 with my mods listed. What do you all think gears will do for my ET here? I too would love to see 11'9's NA without any power adders. Is this possible with gears, converter, and some suspension work, and of course a wild custom tune other than a canned 93 tune? and good driving too. I'm sure we will have some variations on opinions! :smokin:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts