Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
In an SRT I use 0W-40 Mobil1 with a Mobil1 filter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oil

A co-worker said he read a test on synthetic oils. He told me that mobile1 rated pretty low. It seems to vaporize very easily. Pennzoil ultra platinum was one of the best rated oils you can readily buy. I saw a test on oil filters and one of the better ones was wal marts super tech. Anyone have another option they recommend?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
A co-worker said he read a test on synthetic oils. He told me that mobile1 rated pretty low. It seems to vaporize very easily. Pennzoil ultra platinum was one of the best rated oils you can readily buy. I saw a test on oil filters and one of the better ones was wal marts super tech. Anyone have another option they recommend?
Yeah...that's not true. It's tough to sort through all the info about oil on the internet, and you also have to remember that all of the different weights and mixes will test out differently, but one thing is for sure, the Mobil 1 0W40 European blend is one of the very best 0W40 oils on the market, and it's also probably the cheapest if you buy it at Wal-Mart in jugs. For filters, stick to Mobil 1 or the special SRT-branded one. I wouldn't put a Wal-Mart filter on my car....

After all of this tough, has anyone ever had or even heard of someone else that has had a failure related to engine oil? It's funny how much we all worry about something that's basically a non-issue.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I use Schaeffer's oil with a mopar oil filter. 5w-20. Been using it since 5000 miles on the car. I am at 41k now. Went to have the spark plugs changed and the dealer didn't want to replace them as the original spark plugs all showed no signs of wear. I pay $7.50ish per quart. Can it say it was the oil or not but needless to say they were baffled that the plugs didn't show any signs of wear.

On their site they used to have a video of a million mile ford van engine tear down.

http://www.schaefferoil.com

·
Registered
314 Posts
After all of this tough, has anyone ever had or even heard of someone else that has had a failure related to engine oil? It's funny how much we all worry about something that's basically a non-issue.
I haven't heard of a failure due to brand, but I certainly have due to oil weight. The Hemi MDS systems had to have 5-20, I don't know if they still do but there were failures blamed on oil and TSBs issued. TSB 09-015-04 and 09-013-04, “Vehicles with the Multiple Displacement System must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the MDS.”

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mobil 1 is over-rated, over-priced, and does not meet MS-6395 and therefore *technically* should not be used.

I stick with Pennzoil Platinum. Chrysler seems to be on the Pennzoil bandwagon these days, but I've used it for decades already so I stick with it.

As for filters, nobody but Mopar makes oil filters for 2014 and newer Pentastar engine family so that's what I'm using.

·
Premium Member
7,301 Posts
I use good old Castrol GTX, 5-20 in my R/T with the OEM Mopar filter. I don't actually think it matters all that much what oil you use as long as you change it often. I change mine every 3,000 miles. I don't like even slightly dirty oil in my vehicles.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
2010 R/TC A5 Challenger.

First off, if you are concerned about warranty, or just getting the most miles out of your engine, change oil with the proper weight product, and use a quality filter. Everyone has their "favorites", and oil sales/claims are in a good part, just marketing.

I use Castrol Syntec, 5-20w, and change it per the 2010 service schedule of 6 months or 6k miles. I'm using the "SRT" filter.

With the above combo, I feel that I have maximum protection, and also think that I could go considerably longer between changes, but I don't want any warranty issues, if something does crop up.

I've used vitually all brands of oils/filters over the years, and really have had no problems. Some engines "like" certain brands better than others, usage wise. I have to believe that this is because of the additives, and that varies between brands.

Bottom line, use what you feel comfortable with, and change it per your schedule or earlier, if that makes you feel better.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Mobil 1 is over-rated, over-priced, and does not meet MS-6395 and therefore *technically* should not be used.

I stick with Pennzoil Platinum. Chrysler seems to be on the Pennzoil bandwagon these days, but I've used it for decades already so I stick with it.

As for filters, nobody but Mopar makes oil filters for 2014 and newer Pentastar engine family so that's what I'm using.
Your first sentence has already been beat down and disproven, and so have many of your later points by people who actually know, but I see that doesn't seem to bother you...I just feel like other people should know that was a bunch of crap you just spewed. FYI Mopar does not make filters, they buy them from someone else and slap their name on them, um...hello!

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Mobil 1 5w20 EP and an SRT oil filter here, engine is happy and quiet, no tick, and I usually go 6,000 between oil changes since I go to the track. Wal-Mart for the oil and Amazon or the dealer for the SRT filter.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Valvoline 5-25 (mixed 5-20 &5-30) synthetic with mopar filter on my 3.6

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
My challenger came filled with Mobil 1, 0-40w, so that's what I've been using with a Purolator Filter or Mopar one.. Thunder63cs uses I think one of the best oils made. Schaeffer Oil, depending on your specific application is a group 3, 4, 5, or a blend of two or three..

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just had my first oil change a couple of days ago, ironically at Wal Mart. 7 quarts of Mobil 1 5W20 and a Fram filter upgrade (for use with synthetic oil), $74 and change out the door. Plus they vacuumed my mats!

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
What Schaeffer does is mix the the base oils. The other 15 to 20 ingredients are added after, such as Detergents, Dispersants, Friction Modifiers, Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate, Viscosity Index Improvers, Anti-Foams, and Rust & Corrosion Inhibitors..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts