Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm sure this is a common question, but I don't know which one to pick. I'm looking into getting a supercharger for my 2011 R/T, and I've narrow down the choices between the three of them.

1. kenne bell, i don't know if i should get the 2.8l or the 3.6l.

2. edelbrock eforce, I like their bypass valve which saves gas when it's not in use.

3.Vortech V-3, I like that the power is where it needs to be and not where it already is.

im not so sure about the vortech compared to a regular supercharger. Can you help me pick between these three, I've been looking for months and i am still stuck. I'm going :banana:

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
My vote is the vortech out of the 3.
I think a centrifugal blower works best with our torque monsters.
They also run cooler which is a big plus in my book. And a great DD if you want it to be. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I went with the Vortech as well. It's very efficient, runs cool, and doesn't come on strong until about 2,800 to 3,000 RPMs. What's good about that is that you should have already established good traction, so you can actually use all the power you have. Also, you can cruise effectively and not even engage it. It doesn't whine much until you get close to 4,000 RPMs, so by the time someone realizes that you have a SC it's too late. There are a lot of people on here that have been running Vortechs with 20k+ miles with zero issues and the canned tune.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
My father has a vortech V2 supercharger on his 2000 Mustang GT. It has been pretty reliable and practical. It used to be my daily driver before getting my Challenger and never gave me any problems. You also get the benefit of it being lighter and cooler for the engine. Vortech has been in business for a long time and like "guitar2323" said they are the ones used in the HURST Challengers.

I would choose vortech out of the three you posted. It's a great combo with the low end torque in our cars! Couldn't see it suit any other car more than our Challengers to be honest!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
EDIT: Double post.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with the Vortech as well. It's very efficient, runs cool, and doesn't come on strong until about 2,800 to 3,000 RPMs. What's good about that is that you should have already established good traction, so you can actually use all the power you have. Also, you can cruise effectively and not even engage it. It doesn't whine much until you get close to 4,000 RPMs, so by the time someone realizes that you have a SC it's too late. There are a lot of people on here that have been running Vortechs with 20k+ miles with zero issues and the canned tune.
Well i have a 5 speed auto in my car :( so my question to you because you have one. is when driving on the highway around 80 mph will the supercharger always be "on"? I'm use to the drone of my exhaust and I'm looking to do the supercharger and headers at the same time so how is highway driving because this is my daily driver. and how much boost can you run with one of these? still 8psi in stock motors? Thanks for your help. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for everyones reply. So it looks like the vortech is the way to go, and everyone seems to love them. So what are the cons with the vortech(if there are any). And why do people go with a regular twin screw/root style supercharger? what are the pros to that?

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
thanks for everyones reply. So it looks like the vortech is the way to go, and everyone seems to love them. So what are the cons with the vortech(if there are any). And why do people go with a regular twin screw/root style supercharger? what are the pros to that?
Twin screw and roots superchargers are great systems. Owners of them are more qualified to address what they like about them than me but two things I know are owners want the instant torque off idle and like the imposing looks when they pop their hood. The cons to a Vortech? I really don't have any. I am 100% happy with mine. Btw, 18,000 miles on mine with the only issue being I fried my power steering pump on a road course. That was my fault for not upgrading the fluid.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Well i have a 5 speed auto in my car :( so my question to you because you have one. is when driving on the highway around 80 mph will the supercharger always be "on"? I'm use to the drone of my exhaust and I'm looking to do the supercharger and headers at the same time so how is highway driving because this is my daily driver. and how much boost can you run with one of these? still 8psi in stock motors? Thanks for your help. :)
I can't answer that for sure. I have a 6 speed, and my gears are probably different than yours. If you aren't pushing the RPMs, it should be fine. The headers will open up and deepen the sound. You're gonna love it. I stay conservative with my set up, so I'm running 6.5 (a lot of SRTs do 8). I think the R/Ts can run 6 no problem as well. I would double check with someone from Speedlogix or one of the many tuners, though.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
My Vortech doesn't really kick in until about 3,000 rpms. In 6th gear my car runs about 1,700 rpms at 70 mph. It's close to 2,200 in 5th gear. Therefore, I can cruise on the highway without boost. So, there is no extra exhaust noise. One more advantage for me is that the supercharger whine is much less on a centrifugal system. It's there but more subtle. While it's notable from the outside it's barely audible on the inside.

The off the shelf Vortech setup and tune runs at 8 psi and no issues on my stock bottom end after 17,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
My Vortech doesn't really kick in until about 3,000 rpms. In 6th gear my car runs about 1,700 rpms at 70 mph. It's close to 2,200 in 5th gear. Therefore, I can cruise on the highway without boost. So, there is no extra exhaust noise. One more advantage for me is that the supercharger whine is much less on a centrifugal system. It's there but more subtle. While it's notable from the outside it's barely audible on the inside.

The off the shelf Vortech setup and tune runs at 8 psi and no issues on my stock bottom end after 17,000 miles.
Did you do the install yourself?

·
Premium Member
173 Posts

The R/T engine components are a bit more fragile than ours, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
The complete system comes with an intercooler, fuel pump booster, and a couple other things. The install manual can be found here. 2005-2010 Chrysler/Dodge 5.7L Hemi Systems | Vortech Superchargers. It's quite detailed, but I didn't install mine myself. The bypass valve is just a better way to protect your engine in the case of too much boost. I went with it because it's only a few hundred more dollars and replacing an engine is way freaking more.

Reactions: Kyle

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The complete system comes with an intercooler, fuel pump booster, and a couple other things. The install manual can be found here. 2005-2010 Chrysler/Dodge 5.7L Hemi Systems | Vortech Superchargers. It's quite detailed, but I didn't install mine myself. The bypass valve is just a better way to protect your engine in the case of too much boost. I went with it because it's only a few hundred more dollars and replacing an engine is way freaking more.
I know it says 2010 but will this work with a 2011 challenger? And okay then if I get this ill get that bypass :) thanks for all your help. And just to clarify it comes with everything i need? I have a tuner(Diablo sport t1000).

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I know it says 2010 but will this work with a 2011 challenger? And okay then if I get this ill get that bypass :) thanks for all your help. And just to clarify it comes with everything i need? I have a tuner(Diablo sport t1000).
I would think so since, people have been installing them. The guys from Speedlogix or Vortech can tell you for sure. They sent me an inTune with the Vortech tune on it when I bought my complete system. It comes with everything to my knowledge. I bought Dayco Belt Tensioner 05-10 Challenger, Charger, 300, Magnum 5.7L, 6.1L as well, but you might not need it or it might not work right with the 2011 R/T. The guys at Speedlogix are very good at answering emails in a timely manner.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts