Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been thinking about the mods I might like to gradually buy/install into my car and I started thinking... Is there a certain order to what I buy? Also, at what point will I ABSOLUTELY have to get my car professionally dyno tuned? (how far will the stock/Predator canned tune take me?)

I was thinking I might like to get the following:

-cold air intake
-180• tstat
-catch can
-high flow cats
-a cam of some sort

Now, I realize the tstat and catch can don't factor into my question as far as tuning goes, but the cats and cam give me hesitation.

Also, will these mods be ok for the car and not require anything further? Do I need to venture into getting long tube headers or any other mods?

I'm also wondering if an under-drive pulley is worth it.

Any other mods missing from my list that you guys feel is really worth it? (no superchargers)

I want a fast but manageable daily driver that doesn't require any fartin' around on a daily basis and that won't be finicky (as I hear superchargers can be)

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
The only thing you will need a dyno tune for would be the cam. The predator can handle all the other stuff you listed. Why not go with an exhaust system also?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing you will need a dyno tune for would be the cam. The predator can handle all the other stuff you listed. Why not go with an exhaust system also?
I currently have the Zoomers cat back w/ x-pipe and a predator tuner (as per sig)

As far as the exhaust side of things, are headers necessary? I hear a lot that high flow cats will do just fine on the SRT-8, is this true?

What kind of benefit is there from high flow cats (HP/sound-wise?)

Out of all the mods I listed, is it the cam and dyno tune that will yield the most dramatic results?

·
Registered
134 Posts
1) Cam will give you most HP difference here, it will be a daily drive car, but ride experience will differ (idle will increase..etc).

2) If you install cam, ofcourse you will need a tune, but I suggest you install long tube headers along with it (for more HP). But don't install the headers without the cam, because you will have to tune your car for the headers also.

3) If you install high flow cats, engine light will be on. You need to ask the tuner to remove it for you (no you can't remove it with the predator).

4) You can install bigger throttle body if you want (tune require here!), I suggest you check Arrington power package (TB+cam+CAI) I don't remember if there's anything extra in the package ( check www.shophemi.com).

5) You will have to do necessary upgrades for the cam. I have Arrington CC586 cam installed and I only upgraded the pushrods. This is how it sounds like:

Hope this helps. Best luck.

·
Registered
733 Posts
this thing sounds freaky awesome!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!!! :D
Wow, that does sound quite bad ass!

What kind of numbers are you putting down with your setup? Do you have any other mods?

Is your low-end filled in compared to stock or is it still kinda sluggish until after 3000-3500rpm?

How much did your mods set ya back? ($$$)

When you get your car tuned and it's a daily driver, is it good to go year round? Would you ever need to bring it back in for adjustments?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow, that does sound quite bad ass!

What kind of numbers are you putting down with your setup? Do you have any other mods?

Is your low-end filled in compared to stock or is it still kinda sluggish until after 3000-3500rpm?

How much did your mods set ya back? ($$$)

When you get your car tuned and it's a daily driver, is it good to go year round? Would you ever need to bring it back in for adjustments?
I dyno my car and I got 436 RWHP and 412 TQ. I just installed Kennel bell 2.8Lc supercharger but I didn't dyno my car, all my tuning was done via email (CMR tuning) by Johan M. .

You will feel the power from 2000 RPM my friend :), and it is no way near the stock. It feels like you are trying to tame a monster hehe.

Well, I live in Kuwait and shipping is not like when you live in USA, you have to pay more ofc ;). My car was full botls on and cam (before the supercharger) and it costed me around $3500-4000, the exhaust was the most expensive mod and you don't really need it, stock SRT exhaust is so effecient.

I completed a year round with this setup and I never complained, only normal service (oil change..etc) and the car was fine. even now with a supercharger, with a good tuning you don't need to worry about a thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts