Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an SRT 8 spoiler with a few minor scratches and I was wondering if primer with body filler would bond to the SRT 8 spoiler or not. I was thinking I'd spray it with a coat of primer with filler and then sand and wet sand to get the surfaces smoothed out before spraying krylon fusion flat black on the spoiler. It'll probably be about 4 months off before I could paint it but figured I'd start doing my home work now.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
The spoiler can be painted but I don't know what would be the best way to do it. I attached a photo of a challenger with the front spoiler painted.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mainly wasn't sure if it was like the engine cover where etched primer was required or not. I figured once it
was primed and sanded it could then be painted or dipped etc...

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Any auto grade paint will work as long as you sand good.Don't have to take old paint off just scuff,no shiny spots,some 400 grit wet and dry sand wet,with a few drops of dish soap helps before primer,use a prep cleaner before paint,walmart sells it or any parts store,use a tack rag just before paint,anyone who sells paint has them,also sand primer before paint,also 400,you could dry sand,I prefer wet sand,just make sure it dries good before paint.On the prep cleaner (wax and grease remover)moist rag or the lint free shop paper towel (the blue ones at parts store)wipe with moist towel and go over it before it drys with a dry towel.If you have a lot of chips do a good primer coat,sand with 180 dry sand,use a sandable primer,another coat,then the,400,if theres real deep chips scratches,one coat primer fill chips etc with filler puddy,and sand it with the rest 180 dry,then go over it with the last coat of primer.Prep is every thing if you want it to last.Paint it in the garage,keep down dust,helps to wet floor most dust comes from the Floor.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any auto grade paint will work as long as you sand good.Don't have to take old paint off just scuff,no shiny spots,some 400 grit wet and dry sand wet,with a few drops of dish soap helps before primer,use a prep cleaner before paint,walmart sells it or any parts store,use a tack rag just before paint,anyone who sells paint has them,also sand primer before paint,also 400,you could dry sand,I prefer wet sand,just make sure it dries goog before paint.On the prep cleaner (wax and grease remover)moist rag or the lint free shop paper towel (the blue ones at parts store)wipe with moist towel and go over it before it drys with a dry towel.If you have a lot of chips do a good primer coat,sand with 180 dry sand,use a sandable primer,another coat,then the,400,if theres real deep chips scratches,one coat primer fill chips etc with filler puddy,and sand it with the rest 180 dry,then go over it with the last coat of primer.Prep is every thing if you want it to last.Paiint it in the garage,keep down dust,helps to wet floor most dust comes from the Floor.
Yeah these are fairly minor scratches the past couple years I've built speakers as a hobby and been priming, sanding, and painting mdf filling and sanding seems etc. I'm thinking primer with filler plus wet and dry sanding with 400 grit would get the job done for the most part compared to some of the seems I've had to contend with... I think my biggest delay will be waiting for the temp to get above 50. I just wanted to be sure it would stick if I used it.

Take it easy
Jay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts