Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just picked up my first Challenger about a month ago. I went with a 2017 Granite R/T 5.7L A8 with the Blacktop Package. Prior to my Challenger, I owned a 2005 Nissan 350Z as my daily driver which I bought as the second owner, and after 8 years I decided it was time for something new. Having bought the Z at a young age, and essentially learning to drive on it, I knew I would need something with comparable or more power to keep me satisfied. After looking at the 3 major muscle cars, I decided to lease my 2017 Challenger R/T as my new daily driver.

Now, before we get off topic on the benefits of financing over leasing, I financed my Z and currently work in the Credit Department of a bank, so I am familiar with the benefits of both options. Leasing just happened to work out better in my current situation, and I like the idea of not being locked into a car beyond 3 years. Sooo, needless to say, I'm familiar with the financials of leasing vs. financing. What I'm not familiar with are the mechanics and technicalities of leasing; i.e. what modifications you can make to the car while you own it, and what condition the car needs to be returned to the dealership in.

Since I was not planning on making any performance upgrades when I was initially looking, this was not a concern of mine. But having been driving the car for a little while now, it's re-sparked the light I had when I first got my Z, and I can't help but think of the potential modifications I could make. So with that in mind, I'm trying to figure out what modifications, if any, people have made to their leases, and what are smart upgrades that wouldn't bite me in the ass when it comes time to return my lease at the end of the 3 years.

(Disclaimer: There is literally ZERO chance of me buying this car at the end of my lease. I negotiated a super high residual to keep my payments as low as possible, and it is not worth it for me to buy this car back. Also, I'll probably be bored and want an SRT by that time anyway >:))

·
Registered
14 Posts
not to be that guy but...

Hi all, just picked up my first Challenger about a month ago. I went with a 2017 Granite R/T 5.7L A8 with the Blacktop Package. Prior to my Challenger, I owned a 2005 Nissan 350Z as my daily driver which I bought as the second owner, and after 8 years I decided it was time for something new. Having bought the Z at a young age, and essentially learning to drive on it, I knew I would need something with comparable or more power to keep me satisfied. After looking at the 3 major muscle cars, I decided to lease my 2017 Challenger R/T as my new daily driver.

Now, before we get off topic on the benefits of financing over leasing, I financed my Z and currently work in the Credit Department of a bank, so I am familiar with the benefits of both options. Leasing just happened to work out better in my current situation, and I like the idea of not being locked into a car beyond 3 years. Sooo, needless to say, I'm familiar with the financials of leasing vs. financing. What I'm not familiar with are the mechanics and technicalities of leasing; i.e. what modifications you can make to the car while you own it, and what condition the car needs to be returned to the dealership in.

Since I was not planning on making any performance upgrades when I was initially looking, this was not a concern of mine. But having been driving the car for a little while now, it's re-sparked the light I had when I first got my Z, and I can't help but think of the potential modifications I could make. So with that in mind, I'm trying to figure out what modifications, if any, people have made to their leases, and what are smart upgrades that wouldn't bite me in the ass when it comes time to return my lease at the end of the 3 years.

(Disclaimer: There is literally ZERO chance of me buying this car at the end of my lease. I negotiated a super high residual to keep my payments as low as possible, and it is not worth it for me to buy this car back. Also, I'll probably be bored and want an SRT by that time anyway >:))
It doesn't seem like it would be wise to spend any money on aftermarket parts for a rental when the entire point of renting vs buying was, apparently, to save money. Seems the smart thing in this situation is to save that money to instead use to purchase a vehicle when the rental term is up and then modify that vehicle until your heart is content. :grin2:

·
Registered
486 Posts
It doesn't seem like it would be wise to spend any money on aftermarket parts for a rental when the entire point of renting vs buying was, apparently, to save money. Seems the smart thing in this situation is to save that money to instead use to purchase a vehicle when the rental term is up and then modify that vehicle until your heart is content. :grin2:
On the other hand, spending money on after market parts is lost money anyway. whether you own it or lease it.

Depending on the aftermarket parts, they may have to be removed when the lease ends. And I guess that was his real question. I think whatever modifications that are done to it will have to be modified back to the way it was.

It may just be better to buy one outright, modify it and sell at the typical loss one gets. Will have a better chance of selling or trading without having to do as much work UN-modifying.

Just thinking out load here. So it sounds like I basically agree with you.:laugh2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the other hand, spending money on after market parts is lost money anyway. whether you own it or lease it.

Depending on the aftermarket parts, they may have to be removed when the lease ends. And I guess that was his real question. I think whatever modifications that are done to it will have to be modified back to the way it was.

It may just be better to buy one outright, modify it and sell at the typical loss one gets. Will have a better chance of selling or trading without having to do as much work UN-modifying.

Just thinking out load here. So it sounds like I basically agree with you.:laugh2:
Haha if there's one thing I've learned from this forum, it's that Challenger owners are SUPERRR fiscally conservative, even more so than a guy who works for a bank :grin2:. Appreciate the input, but I'm also thinking out loud here.

Like I said, this wasn't something I was initially expecting to do, but the more I drive the car, the more I think it would be nice to do a couple mods. Nothing too too crazy tho. I agree with you that money spent on modifications is usually lost money anyway so I'm not too worried about that, but what I am more worried about is doing something that would void the warranty, be irreversible, or otherwise make me have to pay more to the dealership once I return the vehicle. Something like an exhaust I would imagine would be pretty simple to get on and off at the end.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I own my SPS, but I will be leasing a car and plan to install a tune. Then uninstall the tune if take it in for service or when lease is up. That would be about the only mod I would do to a leased vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
I own my SPS, but I will be leasing a car and plan to install a tune. Then uninstall the tune if take it in for service or when lease is up. That would be about the only mod I would do to a leased vehicle.
This is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through the posts. The tune is a great mod with obvious gains. It's fully electronic and completely "removable", unlike more expensive hardware modifications.

If I had a leased car, the tune would be the only thing I'd do with it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
This is exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through the posts. The tune is a great mod with obvious gains. It's fully electronic and completely "removable", unlike more expensive hardware modifications.

If I had a leased car, the tune would be the only thing I'd do with it.
Based on what I just read on another Challenger forum I would check closely into the possibility of detecting a PCM swap.
Not sure how much truth there is in the following statements but it's enough to make you wonder.

"Just be aware that if you swap to an unlocked PCM the BCM (Body Control Module) will set a CEL code that cannot be cleared indicating the presence of an unauthorized PCM. That code will NOT go away even if you put the original factory PCM back in. That code might be used later to deny a warranty claim if you have any drivetrain issues.

It's best to assume that if you swap out the PCM, even temporarily, that large portions of your warranty will be shot in the a
ss"

A fellow from Hemifever Tuning, Inc said,
"I myself have never seen an unlocked ecu from Diablo trip the ecu code. But I have seen it happen. You will get that engine code if the condition is set. I saw that code only once when someone installed the scatpack 2 setup with new cam and ecu. The dodge service center themselves caused the code with their own ecu. They installed the mopar scatpack 2 cam and ecu package and that set the code. Its a forever code and can never be cleared."

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Quote: " I like the idea of not being locked into a car beyond 3 years"

I guess that I don't understand why anyone would put any type of money in a leased car..................especially knowing that you won't have it long.

Honestly, you leased the wrong car if you wanted more performance that it offers.

Reactions: MrMac

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote: " I like the idea of not being locked into a car beyond 3 years"

I guess that I don't understand why anyone would put any type of money in a leased car..................especially knowing that you won't have it long.

Honestly, you leased the wrong car if you wanted more performance that it offers.
Appreciate the constructive input, guy :disgust:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey biyyadiii- how did you "negotiate a super high residual" - my understanding is residuals are only affected by lease term & mileage. Drop some knowledge on me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Challenger rt classic

I just put a magnaflow exhaust and a mopar cold air intake to my 5.7 challenger rt i been trying to beat my 0-60 but after all the it's hitting over 6s and my best time before this was 5.4 I have cheap iron man tires now but feels about the same wheel spin as with the goodyears that I had any suggestions to improve performance or maybe it's just a bad day

·
Registered
486 Posts
I just put a magnaflow exhaust and a mopar cold air intake to my 5.7 challenger rt i been trying to beat my 0-60 but after all the it's hitting over 6s and my best time before this was 5.4 I have cheap iron man tires now but feels about the same wheel spin as with the goodyears that I had any suggestions to improve performance or maybe it's just a bad day
Practice trying to avoid/minimize wheel spin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts