Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have 305/35/20 rear and 285/35/20 front.

What should be the tire pressure for the front and rear tires?

Alien :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would go by the label on the inside of the driver's door. Always fill cold tires and you can always adjust psi if you want to find the optimal settings. If you are looking for more grip, bring the rears down to 30 psi.

·
Registered
629 Posts
With the rears having a larger volume, and carrying less weight, they should be lower than the fronts.
By how much, you're probably best off experimenting your way to the numbers.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Completely subjective to the tire. You can use chalk and drive through it to see your contact patch , or you can drive long enough to warm them up and use a heat laser and adjust until you have the same temp across the tread.
If the edges are warmer add pressure, if the center is warmer release pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
Forgot, but another thing that factors in is rim width. Are the wheels the same front and rear?
If so, the rears may need more pressure than normal just to avoid squishy handling.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,276 Posts
I would go by the label on the inside of the driver's door. Always fill cold tires and you can always adjust psi if you want to find the optimal settings. If you are looking for more grip, bring the rears down to 30 psi.
this is assuming one is running stock wheels and tires. if one moves around in size, then the door sticker may no longer be 100% accurate.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

And how about the size? What would be the numbers for rear and front?

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the rears having a larger volume, and carrying less weight, they should be lower than the fronts.
By how much, you're probably best off experimenting your way to the numbers.
What would be your numbers in psi for front and back.?

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is assuming one is running stock wheels and tires. if one moves around in size, then the door sticker may no longer be 100% accurate.
That is so true, so I am trying to find the psi numbers that i would fill to keep them running.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot, but another thing that factors in is rim width. Are the wheels the same front and rear?
If so, the rears may need more pressure than normal just to avoid squishy handling.
My wheel size for front: 20x9.5
Tire size front: 285/35/20

My wheel size for rear: 20x9.5
Tire size front: 305/35/20

Now what would be the psi? Any idea?

·
Registered
629 Posts
It's still hard to tell what would work best for you.

For example, the rears are on wheels that are too narrow for the tire, so if handling is of any concern (I hope it is) they'd need to be "over inflated" to try to make up for that mismatch.

But then, I don't know how hard you push through the corners, if at all.

Aside from driving style, how many (if any) passengers you usually have, also factors in. The numbers on the door sticker is for max load. There are a lot of blanks to fill in.

Normally a load chart would answer your questions, but only if you know your axle weights. Also, they don't account for mismatches between tires and wheels.

·
Registered
583 Posts
My wheel size for front: 20x9.5

Tire size front: 285/35/20

My wheel size for rear: 20x9.5

Tire size front: 305/35/20

Now what would be the psi? Any idea?

Their is no right answer ..... do what I said with the heat. It’s the easiest way to get your pressure right. EVERY tire is different. I mean you could keep driving and look for the wear marks on the tire(seems a bit counterproductive). But the heat is the easiest/cheapest way to get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
The hellcat boys have been using that size for , well since 2015........
ideal ...no , but FAR too wide , again, no
So you're saying they have been doing it wrong as well? Good to know.

Just because a few others do it as well doesn't make it right.:wink3:

·
Registered
629 Posts
So you're saying they have been doing it wrong as well? Good to know.

Just because a few others do it as well doesn't make it right.:wink3:
Aw, c'mon. It works great...as long as you don't need to go around a curve.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Wow , you guys must be comfortable in that box....
Comfortable, and fairly confident, since I'm using the correct tires for the rim width.

But why are you calling my Challenger a box?!?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts