Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered this beast from Carmax a couple of days ago and it'll be a couple weeks before it comes in. It's a 2016 R/T with the blacktop package as a well as a couple other bells and whistles. This is my first time buying a nice car used (usually new), and it is driving me crazy thinking my new toy is scratched before I even get it. What should I do? Any creative suggestions on covering it up or just go get it painted?

Also, do you guys think this style of front plate is drilled in or just a no screw bracket? I didn't think to ask that before I got them to transfer it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
The plate is screwed on.
There may be a dent along with the paint damage, I'd make them fix it before you accept it. Don't buy it until its repaired. They are in it for your money so they are motivated to please you, me I'd tell them it's fix it or I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I'll be honest, as many deals as there are on leftover "new" '16s out there I would pass on this car unless you got a ridiculous spankin' deal. Too much competition on Challengers right now. It's a buyer's market.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust me, I looked and looked at new cars within 100 miles of where I live. Didn't find any 16's in my price range. And all of the 17's had so many add ons that I didn't want (couldn't afford).

I'm getting it about $7k cheaper than a brand new one and it only has 13k miles on it. I don't like the scratch or the screwed in front plate, but if I have to live with it, I'm okay with that.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts
The plate is screwed on.
There may be a dent along with the paint damage, I'd make them fix it before you accept it. Don't buy it until its repaired. They are in it for your money so they are motivated to please you, me I'd tell them it's fix it or I'd keep looking.
Trust me, Carmax won't fix a thing!! They are a "buy as is" for their asking price with no negotiation at all. You can also sell them a car for their fixed -final price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can always refuse the car, but I did have to pay to have it transferred. There weren't any RT's in my area that had the features I needed.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Trust me, I looked and looked at new cars within 100 miles of where I live. Didn't find any 16's in my price range. And all of the 17's had so many add ons that I didn't want (couldn't afford).

I'm getting it about $7k cheaper than a brand new one and it only has 13k miles on it. I don't like the scratch or the screwed in front plate, but if I have to live with it, I'm okay with that.
Is that $7k cheaper with all the dealer incentives going on?

While I've had good luck buying cars from CarMax, I don't know that I'd buy a muscle car from them, especially one with such a noticeable scratch in it. With 13,000 miles on it, the car is well past its break-in period and you just don't know how it was driven.

The other poster was right; CarMax won't do a thing to it; you have no leverage. They'll brush off your "...or I'll walk" ultimatum. IDK...I think I'd keep looking while the car they're transporting to you is on its way. Don't forget to check it for damage from the transport also. Roll the dice that it won't sell right away, and go back to some dealers.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
If its not down to bare metal....

Cover it with a Hurst sticker.....or old school "STP" sticker. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not asking for Carmax to do anything to it (unless it's something they normally do) and I'm planning on buying the car. I was just asking for any clever suggestions to cover it up? Any nice looking decals or something that would look right over the wheel. Something like that. I'm not against going and having it repaired either. I'll just have to see how bad it is in person before I know if it can be touched up or needs to be sanded down and repainted.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ordered this beast from Carmax a couple of days ago and it'll be a couple weeks before it comes in. It's a 2016 R/T with the blacktop package as a well as a couple other bells and whistles. This is my first time buying a nice car used (usually new), and it is driving me crazy thinking my new toy is scratched before I even get it. What should I do? Any creative suggestions on covering it up or just go get it painted?

Also, do you guys think this style of front plate is drilled in or just a no screw bracket? I didn't think to ask that before I got them to transfer it.
Just ignore the scratch for the time being. After awhile you really won't even notice it and it will make it alot easier to deal with when you get another scratch or parking lot dent.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Trust me, Carmax won't fix a thing!! They are a "buy as is" for their asking price with no negotiation at all. You can also sell them a car for their fixed -final price.
Ok, didn't know how they operate so now my position is i'd never do business with them then. The whole car industry is based on juvenile cat and mouse games and who says their prices are really reasonable to accept no questions asked.
What reputable dealer puts a car as new as that on the lot damaged? They can get it fixed for a few hundred and add it to the price and the guy walking the lot is thrilled not sort of thrilled.

·
Super Moderator
13,867 Posts
I'm not asking for Carmax to do anything to it (unless it's something they normally do) and I'm planning on buying the car. I was just asking for any clever suggestions to cover it up? Any nice looking decals or something that would look right over the wheel. Something like that. I'm not against going and having it repaired either. I'll just have to see how bad it is in person before I know if it can be touched up or needs to be sanded down and repainted.
I would just get the damage repaired. If you just want to cover it up, check out the side decals offered by Rider Graphix, one of our supporting vendors.

RiderGraphix.com 2015 & Up Dodge Challenger Stripes Graphics Decals Dodge Charger Graphics Ford Mustang Graphics Chevy Silverado Graphics Retro Custom Graphics Stripes Decals Boss Hockey Stick HEMI

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Last time I purchased at Carmax they did repair a long scratch on the driver's door. Their repair was good enough for a daily driver. If they won't fix your scratch, take it to a good body/paint shop. For a few hundred bucks a good shop can do a great repair that you'll never even notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
Push for the repair or walk. Plenty of great deals out there. Why buy something you won't be happy with. The worst that could happen? They say "NO".

·
Registered
159 Posts
The thing is, the OP already knew the scratch was there before you agreed on the purchase/transfer. So any bargaining should have occurred prior to agreeing on purchase. If it is only light scratch, you may be able to detail/buff it out. If there is also a dent, PDR it as well. If it is down to primer, then a spray job needs to be involved.
I guess it's really what you are willing to live with. It's not a clear enough pic to see how bad it is. I'm guessing if it is clearly visible on that grainy pic, it's a decent scratch that may need paint and repair. Shop around for quotes.
You could go from some rubbing compound/polishing compound with elbow grease, to a bottle of touch up paint, to getting some sandpaper and a spray can from Automotive Touch Up (I've used their paint on a home rust repair on a Caravan, and the color matches pretty darn well.) to a full on repair shop job.

It's really what you are willing to live with or are willing to do or pay for someone else to do.

·
Registered
175 Posts
How do you know if it a scratch? May just be something on top of the paint? May wipe right off? Need a better picture to see. If car max did not describe this in the description That is pretty bad? Maybe that is why it was cheaper? If it is showing primer, that will be an easy 3-500 dollar repair.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts