Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an agreement to get a brand new 6 speed R/T exhaust system. Now the question is what should I pay to have a muffler shop put it in? I had one SE owner who had it done say he paid $50 but has given the shop a lot of business. I called a local performance muffler shop in my town and was told several hundred dollars. BIG difference. I think I've read a few people paid like $80 to $100. You guys tell me...I kind of new to car stuff (always had trucks and sedans) so I'm learning as fast as I can. Would love to hear from some of you SE guys who have it done.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
235 Posts
well,where are you locality,job need aprox 2.5 hours uninstall plus install(dual exhaust system)........$200 here in NY is fair price.......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sirava. I'm in Dallas, Texas. I've gotten a couple of messages and it seems people have had an R/T system put on for a range of prices. So far I've seen $35, $50, $80 and $100. $200 seems like a lot in light of what others have said.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you are new to working on cars, an exhaust swap is the perfect intro. project. Money aside, jack stands or a lift and 1.5 - 2 hours and you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. I am only saying this if you are interested in trying something new. Working on your own car is satisfying, and saves a bit of cash. Welcome to the Challenger world! :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just got my RT exhaust put on two days ago, and I paid $100 even. It was funny cuz, I got recommended to this shop and was qouted $75 over the phone, but when he was finished he said it came out to $100. I figured it was becuz he had to cut the rear valence for me, but who knows. So overall, I wouldnt pay no more than $100 since I called around myself, and that was pretty much the cost I was told by a few shops.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey jford21 - thanks for that info. You mentioned your installers cut the rear valence. How did that go? Do you have some photos? I'm going back and forth on whether to cut mine or buy a new one. A new one will probably be another $80. Do you know how they cut it? Did they use some sort of template? Let me know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PlumCrazy70 - I already put fog lights in myself and enjoyed it. I thought I'd have someone do the exhaust, though, because I don't have a welder. I also have read you need reducers / fittings. Could you tell me a little bit more about your install that you did yourself?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Hey jford21 - thanks for that info. You mentioned your installers cut the rear valence. How did that go? Do you have some photos? I'm going back and forth on whether to cut mine or buy a new one. A new one will probably be another $80. Do you know how they cut it? Did they use some sort of template? Let me know.
I cut my own because i went a blastin bob's kit with rounded tips. If you're going with square buy the R/T one. Rounded you have 1 round cut in the stock one so its easy enough to do a 2nd one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe the gains are minimal if at all. Maybe 5 or 10 hp? I'm doing it more for looks with hopefully some better sound. Someone with more knowledge please "pipe" up (pun intended) on this please...I'd like to know the answer for sure to this as well.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
most folks have not reported any real gains and lots have posted some loss of low end power/torque with true duals

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SE
717 Posts
I really have not noticed any loss of power. Just looks cool. I seen a 2011 SE today and got under it to look at the pipes, they used the 6 speed exhaust it seems, where I used the suitcase style one.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I really have not noticed any loss of power. Just looks cool. I seen a 2011 SE today and got under it to look at the pipes, they used the 6 speed exhaust it seems, where I used the suitcase style one.

you are correct sir!! I saw one yesterday on top of a hauler and it had the small mufflers on it.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Heres what they need to do to install so depending on what u have/do will effect price. Starting at the front, you will need to cut off the coupler to your midpipes as it's 2.25 and remove the 2.50 on the R/Ts pipes and weld your SE ones on, cause if u use reducer the lenght won't work out so most just cut/transfer and weld. You will need some stick-on rediant barrier for the left(drivers side) fuel tank as the R/Ts SRTs will not work on your tank. You will also need the two left side hangers at the rear that are missing on yours. Lastly you can either cut valance, or replace with an R/T,SRT one. And lastly while you are having it installed I would have the rear resonators removed, a lot of weight to them and TOO quiet really, IMO! So you can see it depends on how many parts you have ( valance, R/T left rear hangers and rubbers, etc), and how much work you have done ( dropping resos, making hangers,cutting valance,etc) that effects the price. Hope this helps ya bro, Mark

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am asking this question partially out of ignorance but it is relevant to my upcoming decision since I will be replacing the ugly duckling hanging out of the rear of my SE soon.

Why do people go with an R/T or SRT exhaust system over a stainless say Magnaflow cat back system.

Is it price? Because all things being equal an aftermarket system like magnaflow or Corsa sounds (at least to me) much better than the stock systems, with the added bonus of being able to pick your tips.

I'm just wondering so that I have all available info before I make my final decision.

Also for the SE, while I understand completely that duals look much better (again it's personal choice), from a performance standpoint, adding the left side only really adds weight and if I'm reading the boards correctly could possibly run you into fuel tank heat issues. Though personally from looking at my car it looks like it is set up for duals and heat wouldn't be an issue. Again I may be missing something here?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Easy answer is cheap or sometimes free to us a takeoff stock system thats also stainless. I bought the Magnaflow 2-1-2 system for bout $800 and STILL dropped the rear resos as it's TOO quiet. I had also made my own before that with replacing the stock muffler with a 2.5" single in, dual 2.25 out but BOTH avoid having the second pipe under the non heatshielded left tank.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Easy answer is cheap or sometimes free to us a takeoff stock system thats also stainless. I bought the Magnaflow 2-1-2 system for bout $800 and STILL dropped the rear resos as it's TOO quiet. I had also made my own before that with replacing the stock muffler with a 2.5" single in, dual 2.25 out but BOTH avoid having the second pipe under the non heatshielded left tank.
gotcha.

Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Heres what they need to do to install so depending on what u have/do will effect price. Starting at the front, you will need to cut off the coupler to your midpipes as it's 2.25 and remove the 2.50 on the R/Ts pipes and weld your SE ones on, cause if u use reducer the lenght won't work out so most just cut/transfer and weld. You will need some stick-on rediant barrier for the left(drivers side) fuel tank as the R/Ts SRTs will not work on your tank. You will also need the two left side hangers at the rear that are missing on yours. Lastly you can either cut valance, or replace with an R/T,SRT one. And lastly while you are having it installed I would have the rear resonators removed, a lot of weight to them and TOO quiet really, IMO! So you can see it depends on how many parts you have ( valance, R/T left rear hangers and rubbers, etc), and how much work you have done ( dropping resos, making hangers,cutting valance,etc) that effects the price. Hope this helps ya bro, Mark
No one ever brings up the welding but to me this is what is holding me back from doing this mod. How much this usually cost to get welded? Some muffler shops don't do it ... So then it becomes a hassle. If any of you have done this mod in southern California.... Please let me know where! I just want to get it done already

1 - 20 of 21 Posts