Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a scat 2020 this summer in storage. But I am trying to understand what the proper steps that should be taken before putting a supercharger on. I heard something about having to redo the piston rings and rods?? What else?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Depends on how much power you want. If you only want 6psi of boost you can buy a complete SC kit and it will have just about everything besides a tune.

If you want a lot more boost than that the list is almost endless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you plan to do any forced induction, I would have plenty of money saved for the probable rebuild needed. From what I've read, these engines don't take well to boost. Better off building with forged internals and then supercharging imo. I wouldn't risk it without the backup of necessary funds should it fail. Doesn't mean it wont be fine for an indeterminant amount of time, but my motto is Buy once, cry once. Do it right from the start.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts
People run 6.4L with 6 pounds of boost with no issue. A proper tune and using quality gas, should be no issue

A Guy

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I bought a scat 2020 this summer in storage. But I am trying to understand what the proper steps that should be taken before putting a supercharger on. I heard something about having to redo the piston rings and rods?? What else?
Save your money for a Hellcat and enjoy the power your Scat Pack has now. 15k to 20k is the normal amount to spend on making a supercharger live reliably on the 392 engine.Just remember you have a transmission that is not beefed up yet.

·
Vendor
13,246 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

And your installation price is how much for those who are not that mechanical to install.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
No Dyno numbers. Guesstimate 500 Crank. Seat of pants felt like at least 100 over stock 380. Gobs of low end torque.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,596 Posts
I agree with the Folks that recommend that you bolt it on, run 6 psi and then enjoy the power. Then you save your money and get your motor forged if you want more power. My guess is that with a good tune on a 392, you should be able to get 550 rwhp pretty easily. You'll Definitely need some different rear tires then if you want to use that power.

When you think about which blower that you want, you should try to factor in the type of power delivery that you're after and how you drive your car. The blower like Dennis H (Kenne Bell) has on his, a Magnuson (like Steve White sells) or a Whipple will give you more lower end, tire burning power with a flat torque curve that will carry to redline. If you want something that drive more turbo like where the power builds up linearly and drives like stock, then a ProCharger is what you'd want.

I had a Vortech T-Trim blower on our old Vette and I liked it because it did drive like stock (because the lower part of the VE table/tune was stock) until I stepped on the pedal! Then it ran like a scalded dog (a little bitty LS1 that ran 10.52 in the quarter with a 131 mph trap speed)!

The most important aspect to longevity with a stock motor is to get someone that can tune it properly and safely. If you decide to lean on your motor and try to get every last drop of power out of it, then you take the chance of bad things happening. If you get a safe tune that leaves a bit on the table in exchange for longevity, then you have a better chance of the motor lasting longer. The problem quite a few people have is that they get greedy when it comes to power output. More is not always better in this case.

Just some food for thought and Good Luck on your decision because it's a tough one!

·
Vendor
13,246 Posts
6 psi on a 392 will equal approx 550 whps

And your installation price is how much for those who are not that mechanical to install.
1795.00 including custom tuning

2015 and newer add 349.00 to unlock pcm and 2018 and newer add 79.00 for security gate bypass

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,204 Posts
Just chime in with my 2 cents' worth. Any increase of the engine's output puts the engine at risk of manifesting a problem, maybe a serious problem.

In most cases with "reasonable" boost and a proper tune for the gasoline available where you live and drive will have the engine "fine". Probably.

However, there is more to this.

With more power there invariably comes the desire the need to use this. No one super charges a car engine to listen to the whine on the grocery store run.

By using this power you operate the engine, with its supercharger, at a much higher output which puts more strain on the engine. Be aware to get say another 100hp added to the engine's factory output at the crank the engine may be producing 125hp (or more) the amount of hp over 100hp is what the supercharger requires.

Two is the engine needs more servicing. The factory oil should be ok but needs to be changed more often. Plugs probably need to be replaced more often. The engine is making more power. It uses more air. The engine air filter requires more frequent changing. Likewise the fuel filter if the car is equipped with a serviceable filter needs to be changed more often.

The cooling system should be more than adequate. Well, if you avoid flat out high speed runs on the autobahn or avoid hitting the road course race track for some hot lapping.

You subject the drive train to more stress/higher loads. The factory fluids should be ok but you need to change them more often.

You will use the brakes more. The factory brakes should be ok -- unless you venture out on the road course track -- but with more acceleration comes more braking so you need to budget for more frequent pad/rotor replacement. It is also a good idea to at least flush and bleed the brake hydraulic system every 2 years. (Flush by just forcing fresh fluid through the system to flush out the crappy old fluid downstream of the brake fluid reservoir.)

But the engine is still only as good as its weakest part. That (for example) weak rod bolt may hold up for hundreds of thousands of miles of normal usage but may let go when asked to withstand the forces of the engine making 125 or more horsepower (added) over its factory horsepower output.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
6 psi on a 392 will equal approx 550 whps

1795.00 including custom tuning

2015 and newer add 349.00 to unlock pcm and 2018 and newer add 79.00 for security gate bypass
OK all in price plus tax is $8817.00 to supercharge a newer 6.4 Scat Pack.Is there a price difference between Charger and Challenger?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought the complete procharger kit stock scat pack and it did come with a diablo tune.But I had demon performance retune it.....thats was 2yrs. and no problems what so ever demon did tune it with a conservative tune I was wasnt look for a dyno queen I just wanted to drive mine and safe as possible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts