Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the engine will warm up to approximately 184F and stay there. It is cool here in Houston and I expect that temperature to go up in the hot summer months. :icon_redface:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mine goes to a little over 200 according to the "hidden EVIC".

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
With the stock thermostat you should hit 203, do you have a Jet 180 installed?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the stock thermostat you should hit 203, do you have a Jet 180 installed?
Eric,

I do not know what a Jet 180 is, so probably not installed. I quess it's an aftermarket product.

Russell

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Unless you are talking VERY COLD or VERY HOT your engine should run at your thermostat's rated temp.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Unless you are talking VERY COLD or VERY HOT your engine should run at your thermostat's rated temp.
Well, more like 8-10 degrees warmer than the rated temp. Most folks running the 180 t-stat, including myself, run 188-192 temps.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Well, more like 8-10 degrees warmer than the rated temp. Most folks running the 180 t-stat, including myself, run 188-192 temps.
That brings up an interesting point. If your stat is wide open at 180º that means your cooling system is unable to cool your engine down to 180º. Right?

What's the normal operating temp with a 200º stat?

Help me understand this, I'm curios to know more.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
That brings up an interesting point. If your stat is wide open at 180º that means your cooling system is unable to cool your engine down to 180º. Right?

What's the normal operating temp with a 200º stat?

Help me understand this, I'm curios to know more.
The rated temp on a t-stat is when it starts to open, most are fully-open 10-15 degrees higher than their rating. So, a 180 t-stat is fully open at 190-195 (And I run at 188-192). With the stock 203 t-stat it would run about 210-215.

As for the ability to cool down to 180F, that should be no problem at all. The t-stat and temp sensor are on the coolant outlet of the engine, so by the time the coolant has reached that point it's already cycled through the engine and collected heat. Prior to entering the engine it's going to be quite a bit cooler.

The t-stat is to regulate temperature and, IMO, the 180 is keeping the engine temperature where the t-stat was designed to.

I have a laser temp sensor, if I remember then I'll see what kind of reading I get from the radiator and lower radiator hose (if possible) when up to temp.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Thank you... learn something new every day! :thanks:

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I went for a drive and checked the temps with it idling when I got home, everything up to temp. What I found was...

Lower radiator outlet - ~130F
Water pump inlet from lower radiator hose - ~155F
Water pump housing - ~190F
Upper radiator hose - ~200F

When hitting the track and doing 20-minute lap sessions my coolant temp is steady around 195F, so it seems to be more than sufficient. :)

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
1,931 Posts
I have noticed that the engine will warm up to approximately 184F and stay there. It is cool here in Houston and I expect that temperature to go up in the hot summer months. :icon_redface:
Did you buy your car new?...if new you need the stat checked as that is not a normal temp reading....if bought used you probably have an after market stat and a tune for the fans if it is holding 184 while sitting...but the stat could also be bad on a used car...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Mine goes to a little over 200 according to the "hidden EVIC".
Where 'bouts in the 'hidden' EVIC? I've never stumbled across it (SXT plus/RallyeRedline). I'd assume different models come with more/less info... but if it's in there, I'd like to see it. According to the temp gauge, mine is running a notch plus a little hotter than when new last summer.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Where 'bouts in the 'hidden' EVIC? I've never stumbled across it (SXT plus/RallyeRedline). I'd assume different models come with more/less info... but if it's in there, I'd like to see it. According to the temp gauge, mine is running a notch plus a little hotter than when new last summer.
The procedure has changed over model years but I think this is current:

1.Put the gear in drive “D” position.
2.While you are in the main menu that shows the temperature, press the up arrow for 10 seconds. Make sure that its 10 seconds not less..
3.Press the Down arrow immediately after the 10 seconds until the extended menu shows on your gauges.

That should work, but if not someone who knows what they are talking about will be along shortly to point out my error. :bash:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I'm confused, I thought (wait at this point I kinda KNOW) the Hemi's ran @ 215-219 normally and hotter in the summer. Our low-speed fans don't come on until 219f, and our high speeds not until 226f. My motor is always 215 (vertical) to 220+ w\ stock T-Stat and fan settings but I easily see 221+ as the high speed has not yet triggered. I can't see anyone here running in constantly in the 200-210f range unless they are in 40f or lower weather on a highway cruising, as the low-speed fan itself only lowers the car to 213, then shuts off until it hits 219 again, so they must they have tuned their fans or have a 180 T-Stat AND tuned the fans. And yeah, if you are getting 184..your engine temp sensor is wrong. Stock will never be that low. T-stat opens @ 203f, low speed 219f, high speed 226f, this is a HOT motor design. It runs far hotter than my fathers 6.2l LS Supercharged CTS-V which stock has 560hp, I can bang through the gears all day (and it is scary fun with that much power) but the engine never seems to go over 220f, but clearly has a better cooling system, even after shutting it off it will cool the motor down, radiator fans will continue running for up to 5 min if driven hard, our motors like to cook after you shut them off after running them hard and shut them off. Anyway I guess it is Dodge's way of beating emissions in a piss poor manor as it robs you of horse power, and honestly, engine life I'd imagine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts