Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The R/t must sit outside...:( Was out checking for the bolt to add an oil catch can. Noticed the bare metal has a build up of a white powder. Comes off if I run my finger over it. ...I am sure it caused by the elements but what is it? What would be best way to remove it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,208 Posts
I spray detailer on it and wipe off what's loose. You could get aluminum cleaner and try. It's just on the surface and unless it got something like road salt on it I don't think it would get worse.

·
Super Moderator
13,704 Posts
There's no easy way to prevent aluminum oxidation, other than clear anodizing. It is a natural chemical reaction causes by moisture and the aluminum metal. Here are two clean-up remedies that have proven effective:

1. Wipe the affected area with Marvel Mystery Oil.

2. Use a small brass bristle brush to remove the buildup and then wipe the part down with a rag that you've sprayed with WD-40. That will help prevent the buildup from returning too quickly. (Harbor Freight has the brushes for under 50 cents).

Note: Billet Technology recommends that its parts be wiped down periodically with WD-40 to maintain the finish.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
If you buy an aluminum part get one that's anodized, and you can get clear anodize if you want it shiny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts