Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I decide to install my new lockpick today!! installation was very simple, I even put in a rearview camera and that went fairly easy as well. However when I went to run the wires, I removed the whole mat in the trunk where the battery is, and I couldn't believe my eyes. The negative post on my battery was filled with corrosion and there was battery acid all over the place. Has any one heard of this or seen this on their cars? I am going to bring it in to the dealer this week. Hopefully they will replace under warranty!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
May have gotten wet somehow. Happened to mine also. Lifted my trunk lid with rain outside and it got in. If the battery integrity is still good then just chip of all the corrosion and wire brush the cable and post and you should be good. You could also get the battery tested. Dealer could do it but no telling how long they would keep it.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Glad the install went well hopefully our talk on here helped. Kid did you get the car new? That looks looks someone had it off, and when it was reinstalled it didn't have anything on it to protect it. It still shouldn't have all that on it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Itzrick you were extremely helpful, thanks again!!!! I couldn't have done it without you and all the others on here.I only installed the rear cam though, as I ran out of daylight and warmer air temps to do the front. As far as the battery goes I don't think it got wet in there. It's dry as a bone in the trunk, no sign of moisture anywhere. Yes I did get the car new and I brought it in for the battery gounding recall a little more than a year ago. I work with batteries on my job and I know we have certain specs for tightening connections. I wonder if the connection was overtorqued and maybe cracked the battery.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok tiger I'll bite, what are they, and where do I find them?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Tiger is doing alot of the forum war prep stuf and he might not have had a chance to answer you right now...I think he's talking about those chemical coated pads that you put on the terminals under the cable conector. You can get them at all parts stores.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I didnt own my car a week before replacing the facotry crap battery with a optima yellow top. I dont trust wet cell batterys at all. I was origionally going to go with optima but after some negitive reviews I went with Odyssey.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Sorry, I shifted into football mode. Yes I was talking about the little red and green pads at any parts store. I have never seen corrosion on a terminal with these installed. The OP's battery had some extra crud that makes me think it got water or something else on it. That battery shouldn't be gassing or seeping so I wonder where it would be coming from???

Not really doing anything for forum wars. They really screwed us up when them announced that there would be no spectators. Some of us may go anyway just to hang out and give moral support where we can. That can give you an idea of how much we appreciate and respect Jeff!

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
If you are still under warranty - Make them give you a new battery and a negative cable.

It should not do that.

·
Registered
616 Posts
the corrosion is from battery acid vapors,coat the metal parts/they make a special spray for this

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Not sure if this is relevant but, could the breather tube have come un-attached and the ensuing vapors have caused some of this?
I watched the Tech at the dealership re-connect my vent tube when I had the battery re-call done.
Just food for thought Gents...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts