Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, some idiot changed lanes into me at about 5 miles an hour at a stoplight which meant my car had to be repaired and repainted. (He managed to dent the passenger side door panel and scraped up the rear quarterpanel.) Unfortunately I'm guessing due to the cold snap, the paint isn't going to cure quickly at all and the first bumblebee stripe they put on bubbled up due to off gassing. So I'm stuck either leaving the passenger side stripe off till after Thanksgiving, having them pull all the stripes off and drive it that way till it cures then put new ones back on, or just have them pull all the stripes off. Thing is I have a road trip planned for Thanksgiving where I wanted to show off my car to some family members so I really don't want to have a half-done car when I drive across the country.

I threw together a quick photoshop of it without the stripe to see what it would look like if I decided to take the stripes completely off.

Kind of want to get y'alls thoughts before I call them back in the morning..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
If it was me, I'd put the stripe on. But if you're worried about the paint not curing in time for the stripe, leave it off. You can always have it put on after you get back.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
435 Posts
Do you have a place to keep the car at the optimum temperature for a few days for the stripe installation? I’d imagine, even after only a few days of cold, that the paint should be good to go.

This would be dependent on the fact that your car is not the daily driver as well.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Preferably with, I actually didn’t realize how much I liked the stripe till I looked at them in these 2 photos. But honestly if you’re risking wasting money with the paint curing, just wait. I totally understand the urge to want to show the car off but if you have to do it again there’s no point.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started thinking that I would like it without the stripe and it causes me worries when it's waxed and that I can't take it through most car washes, but the more I look at it, it just doesn't look right to me without the stripe. It looks too bland for some reason.

Maybe it's a small thing, but driving around in a car that ls half done is just going to frustrate me for a month. And I can't even park so I don't see it as my parking spot basically requires me to pull straight in due to a pillar, so I'll see it every time I walk out of my apartment. Yeah the shop is going above and beyond offering to pull them all off and replace them once it's cured, and that might be the better option so there's not a color difference due to any aging. I just hate asking the shop to do that.as it's not really their fault that paint has to breathe for a while.

My car lives outside and is my daily driver, so I'm fairly limited in my options. It's going to be highs of the mid-60s for the next couple weeks which I'm guessing won't help with the off gassing.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I started thinking that I would like it without the stripe and it causes me worries when it's waxed and that I can't take it through most car washes, but the more I look at it, it just doesn't look right to me without the stripe. It looks too bland for some reason.

Maybe it's a small thing, but driving around in a car that ls half done is just going to frustrate me for a month. And I can't even park so I don't see it as my parking spot basically requires me to pull straight in due to a pillar, so I'll see it every time I walk out of my apartment. Yeah the shop is going above and beyond offering to pull them all off and replace them once it's cured, and that might be the better option so there's not a color difference due to any aging. I just hate asking the shop to do that.as it's not really their fault that paint has to breathe for a while.

My car lives outside and is my daily driver, so I'm fairly limited in my options. It's going to be highs of the mid-60s for the next couple weeks which I'm guessing won't help with the off gassing.
the manufacturer does it after painting don’t they? You’d imagine it would be fine. I doubt Dodge waits a month to stripe cars...

mid 60’s? Where? Good lord, I wish that was me. We had snow Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and it’s been like 5 degrees overnight with highs of mid 20’s.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have absolutely no idea what they do differently, but every vehicle I've ever had repaired always had the warning about the off gassing and it needing a month to cure completely. Whatever that difference is and the off gassing seems to make a difference to how quickly vinyl can be applied. Might be faster if it was the summer and I could park in the hot summer sun but it's cooler now.

DFW.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,660 Posts
Dodge bakes their cars, perhaps that takes care of it

A Guy

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
That color looks great either way, sorry to hear about your misfortune, but really it is your call on the stripe, for me if I bought it like that I would keep it like that.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I agree. F8 looks great either way. I would remove the stripes and wrap the hood. Love that color. When I was shopping for my Redeye the dealers were trying to sell me on a few different ones in stock. I told them the only other option besides DG would be F8 Green.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
most body shops have a heat lamp that they can put on the car overnight to cue the paint. You could always have the shop remove the vinyl stripes and mask, scuff and paint them in in "Hot Rodder Black".

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do it yourself. Cheaper and you'll have greater satisfaction. Buy the vinyl, knifeless tape and painters tape. Cost you less than $50.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
That makes me want to put a stripe on mine. That looks really good on the F8. I've seen it on Octane Red and I think it is in the future for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
when it comes to paint cure times it will vary based on air dry and force dry.the factory is obviously force dry by baking at 140 degrees and I'm curious to what paint was used on your car and if the body shop that did it had a modern paint booth.force dry paints reach full cure in under an hour and air dry paints should be good in 3-5 days for vinyl application.the shop i work in applies vinyl within 24-72 hours and we do not have issues.modern paints are 2 part base/clear and dry fast even when not baked at 140 degrees.old school lacquers and enamels took a month to cure so im curious which product was used.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts