Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question here is to see what people have done before pulling the trigger on a supercharger. I have a 2014 R/T M6 and would like to some performance mods but nothing to expensive that won't be compatible with the sc. Also if anybody know if these new mopar shakers are compatible with sc's. Thanks

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My question here is to see what people have done before pulling the trigger on a supercharger. I have a 2014 R/T M6 and would like to some performance mods but nothing to expensive that won't be compatible with the sc. Also if anybody know if these new mopar shakers are compatible with sc's. Thanks
I can't speak for you or others as I have bought my car with the supercharger installed from Roush, but I would say as long as you are on low boost, have a great tune and run good gas, you should be good to go if your car is in stock form.
The higher the boost,....the more suporting mods you need to do. Depending on how high you go for boost,..you may need a BAP, larger injectors, definitely a new tune and if you go higher of a boost level you go, you'll need to have forged internals and possibly a built bottom end, just to be safe. The tune is key. ALWAYS use a reputable tuner. Do yourself a favor and do your own research and ask questions.
Good luck!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Have some money put away in case something goes wrong. Always a wise choice.

Reactions: 1Fast392

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If your gonna boost, you need to maximize airflow OUT, so LT headers, high flow cats and good cat back are a must. This is especiAlly important on an RT... Assuming the manis havent gotten any better on the new ones.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
It really depends on how much boost you are looking to run and how you are using the car. I made no upgrades to my car because I run only 6lbs of boost from my Magnuson. I drive the car on weekends tooling around town and to car shows. My wife drives it to work on occasion. I do not plan on ever racing it, but I do juice it here and there when I am alone. I have been told by several experts that 6lbs should not cause any issues. Each pound is about 20hp (approximately), so I am getting approximately 120 more hp out of my car safely so I am told... So, it really depends on if you are like me or want more???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So a 3' in exhaust with long tubes before i sc thanks, i would like mod like this before i pull the trigger for a sc bc i almost lost to a nissan 240 tc at a dig at 80 and want some mods under$400 i can throw away when the time comes, does anybody know a shaker hood that will fit a sc?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Also, a methanol kit is VERY beneficial... After you boost of course

·
Registered
223 Posts
Anyone have advise regarding edelbrock supercharger for 2014 m/t shaker?
Wondering about their "top of line" warranty option. Can't seem to find much info on it.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
So a 3' in exhaust with long tubes before i sc thanks, i would like mod like this before i pull the trigger for a sc bc i almost lost to a nissan 240 tc at a dig at 80 and want some mods under$400 i can throw away when the time comes, does anybody know a shaker hood that will fit a sc?
The AFR shaker fits a magnuson sc. I have it on my car and it looks and works great!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My target goal is 500rwhp I use this car as a DD but only drive 30 miles a day, I can afford the S/C in one year but I think I'm gonna hold off 2 or 3 years. I would like to mod but not be married to anything until I get a S/C

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
If you are going to add components...

....in conjunction with a blower....why not do it all at once. It's cheaper that way. You also need to keep tuning it for each mod if they are added in stages.

If it were me, I'd leave the exhaust and manifold stock. Those already are plenty efficient. I'd focus on brakes and suspension.

Reactions: 3 peddles

·
Registered
485 Posts
My target goal is 500rwhp I use this car as a DD but only drive 30 miles a day, I can afford the S/C in one year but I think I'm gonna hold off 2 or 3 years. I would like to mod but not be married to anything until I get a S/C
If you want 500 whp, plan on installing a good pair of long tube headers. Otherwise you are not going to get to 500 whp.

·
Registered
382 Posts
....in conjunction with a blower....why not do it all at once. It's cheaper that way. You also need to keep tuning it for each mod if they are added in stages.

If it were me, I'd leave the exhaust and manifold stock. Those already are plenty efficient. I'd focus on brakes and suspension.
The exhaust manifolds on the R/T are garbage and should be replaced when getting blown...

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Call Arrington or Steve White is my advice, FWIW. Tune, tune and tune....

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The exhaust manifolds on the R/T are garbage and should be replaced when getting blown...
X2. Hell, they should be replaced with LTs if youre even going with a mild cam

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Most of the SC kits out there now are designed for an otherwise "stock" car. The tune that comes with the SC kits are for an otherwise "stock" car. You don't "need" anything else to make them work and give you a power increase. You need to educate yourself before you make any purchases. You will find the same people here telling you to "buy this, and buy that" ;and, it's a "must". There are no "musts" for installing a SC kit on these cars. If there was, don't you think the vendors would be pushing those "musts" as add-ons when you purchase? I saw you were thinking of spending $400 for LT headers and exhaust. lol--good one!! Try about $1500-2k, and that's if you install yourself. Research. Further, in your area that you live in, do you emmisions testing? Are headers allowed in your state? Why purchase if you can't get it inspected? How old are you? I ask this because younger buyers tend to like LOUD exhaust, where older ones just want it loud when they step on it and fairly normal at cruize. Which are you?

What kind of SC are you planning on buying? There is no known shaker that will fit and provide direct airflow to centrifigal SC's. There are a few here that have a centrifigal SC and shakers; but, if you look closely, the shaker provides NO direct airflow to the SC inlet. If you get a KB, you are in the same boat, there is no shaker that allows airflow to the air inlet. Mr. Norms uses a faux shaker system on his brand of KB equipped Challengers. It is mounted to the hood for looks only. Do you have a factory shaker system? If so, Steve White has been able to make that work, albiet by cutting up the shaker itself. Do you really want to do that to your brand new shaker? Then there is AFR who has done a few shakers with a Magnasun. To my knowledge they are specifically designed and extra cost. How much extra is something you need to ask AFR. Then there is Cervini's (my personal favorite which I have used with my Magnasun -so I "may" be a little biased here, lol). Petty's have used these shaker systems with their Petty SC Challengers since 2009. The mods to the shaker is to the underside of the base only and cannot be seen when it's mounted. They also use Petty's proprietary metal brakets to mount the shaker to the SC. It is my understanding that the current line of Cervini's has been modded from the factory to clear the Magnasun pulley, but, I have not confirmed this. I had to send mine off to Petty's for modification, but it was an older version. Cost was $600, not including S&H there.
So, before you take advice, including from me, you'd better research before taking anyone's "advice" at face value, or you'll be spending YOUR money for nothing. How many of the replies in this thread are from someone with experience and have "been there, done that" (have or have had an SC and shaker)? To my knowledge, only two, Georgethedog and myself. Take it for what it's worth.:cheers:
Pm me if you have further questions.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Anyone have advise regarding edelbrock supercharger for 2014 m/t shaker?
Wondering about their "top of line" warranty option. Can't seem to find much info on it.
To my knowledge, no one has been able to make a shaker, factory or aftermarket, work with an Edelbrock. As with anything, with enough money, anything can be made to work, how much are you willing to spend to have a fabricator make it work for you?

If you are worried about warranties, a supercharger is probably not the mod for you. I have yet to see a warranty covering performance parts that is worth the paper it's written on. Of course, the only way to find out, is when you need it, and by then you've already spent your money, haven't you? Modding inherently is about taking risks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for reply. Ganna have to wait or jus suck it up and go for it!
Now thinking maybe Kenne Bell. really, at this point anyway, the issue is finding somebody with experience to do the install...

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
No amount of power is worth much if you can't get it to the pavement. Your stock RT can already fry your tires off the rims. Mods that will help you hook up will let you enjoy your supercharger all the more. Look into stiffening the body. A strut tower brace is a good start. The Speed Logix brace will fit with anything you add on top of the engine and it completely replaces the flimsy factory cowl brace instead of just bolting to it. Lower the center of gravity and improve handling with a good lowering kit with sway bars. I have the Hotchkis set-up but there are other good ones out there as well. A good lowering kit will completely change the way the car drives in an exciting way without sacrificing too much ride quality (You'll have to watch speed bumps and parking blocks). Look at wheels wide enough to mount a good performance tire. There are several good choices out there. I've been running Nitto NT05s. They are a softer compound and don't last as long but they manage the extra power as well as anything else I've tried - straight line and in the twisties. Some suggest drag radials for the street. Drag radials provide good foreword traction but the sidewalls are designed to give and therefore you'll sacrifice some cornering ability. Also, they need to be heated up (burnouts) before they get real sticky. You'll have to decide how you want to drive your car. If you can afford an extra pair of wheels you can swap drag radials on when you need them. It's very expensive to change out your brakes but you can change the pads. For $300-$400 you can get a good set of pads that will improve stopping power and cut down on the brake dust. I use Hawk pads. Upgrade your power steering fluid to something like Redline or Royal Purple. They both have a higher temperature threshold than the stock fluid. A supercharger will put more torque on the steering pump which will raise operating temps. I found this out the hard way and fried my pump at the road course. You can also add a cooler to the power steering which mounts under the bumper cover. There's a lot you can do that will improve your car's performance before and after your supercharger install.

·
Registered
477 Posts
To get the benefits of supercharging (you won't be happy with a mild boost) you're going to need to replace the pistons, injectors, be friends with tuning shop that knows what they're doing and extra cash for other problems that "pop" up or just wait for the Hellcat and get a warranty with more HP/torque than those who have lived and learned the hard way that stock 5.7/6.1/6.4s are not built for boost. I've lived and learned so take this advice from someone that learned the hard way...or not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts