Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...open the hood and connect a battery charger or other 12V source to the jumper terminals and pop open the trunk. :banger:

I have heard way too many people diving in thru the back seat when they really don't have to. :smile:

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,181 Posts
...open the hood and connect a battery charger or other 12V source to the jumper terminals and pop open the trunk. :banger:

I have heard way too many people diving in thru the back seat when they really don't have to. :smile:
That is a very good tip. Useful indeed!!

Of course, it would have been even more useful had you shared it with us BEFORE we spelunked through the back seat of our Challengers and into the black abyss that is an unlit trunk, trying to grasp and pull on that blasted safety cord to re-pop the trunk lid. :wink3:

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a very good tip. Useful indeed!!

Of course, it would have been even more useful had you shared it with us BEFORE we spelunked through the back seat of our Challengers and into the black abyss that is an unlit trunk, trying to grasp and pull on that blasted safety cord to re-pop the trunk lid. :wink3:
I honestly thought someone would have already posted this...and if they did it should have been a sticky for sure...but I keep seeing people saying they had to dive into the back because they accidentally closed the trunk with the battery disconnected.

I almost did the same thing when I was installing Aux buttons and when I saw a video of someone crawling to the back to open the trunk...I was like, no way my fat arse is making that journey...then it hit me...why not just jumper the car?!

Not sure why they don't mention to do this in the owners manual? Anyways, not too late to make it a sticky here. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
I honestly thought someone would have already posted this...and if they did it should have been a sticky for sure...but I keep seeing people saying they had to dive into the back because they accidentally closed the trunk with the battery disconnected.

I almost did the same thing when I was installing Aux buttons and when I saw a video of someone crawling to the back to open the trunk...I was like, no way my fat arse is making that journey...then it hit me...why not just jumper the car?!

Not sure why they don't mention to do this in the owners manual? Anyways, not too late to make it a sticky here. :grin2:
I actually already knew about that trick, but it was only after someone wondered out loud if that was possible in response to a post I had on here lamenting my short-term memory lapse one day while working on my car with the battery unhooked - I closed the trunk lid, realized what I'd done, crawled through the back seat and opened the trunk lid, then promptly closed it AGAIN!

Anyway, they had that idea and I used my portable jumper/power pack to test their hypothesis and ended up validating it.

Although, I have not had cause to make use of that trick since. It seems that once you've shut yourself out of your own car and had to crawl through the back seat to open the trunk twice within 5 minutes, it then becomes impossible for your brain to let you slip up and do it again. At least, that's my best guess, cause I have not fallen victim to absentmindedly closing my trunk (when battery unhooked) ever since!

·
Registered
282 Posts
This is great, but my only purpose in life is to provide meaningful laughs for my neighbors and you guys. Picture it, I mean really think about it, 6'5" 300+ lbs crawling back there.
Keep in mind being that big my drivers seat is all the way back, and also electric, so that back seat is not coming down very far.
I told my neighbor about this thread, and he stated:
"It was awesome to see you do that, but the noise you made after the trunk popped and you tried to wiggle back out was priceless."
Why take that from him?
Yeah, it ain't happening twice.
W

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,181 Posts
This is great, but my only purpose in life is to provide meaningful laughs for my neighbors and you guys. Picture it, I mean really think about it, 6'5" 300+ lbs crawling back there.
Keep in mind being that big my drivers seat is all the way back, and also electric, so that back seat is not coming down very far.
I told my neighbor about this thread, and he stated:
"It was awesome to see you do that, but the noise you made after the trunk popped and you tried to wiggle back out was priceless."
Why take that from him?
Yeah, it ain't happening twice.
W

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just in case you were thinking, "If only I were taller, it wouldn't be nearly as bad!! If I were something like 6' 8", then I could surely reach the rip-cord easier without having to crawl as far through the backseat and into the trunk!"

Let me assure you that is NOT the reality of the situation.

If anything, you'll be more likely to get wedged in there by accident while trying to wiggle in or out, resulting in a full-on panic attack due to your mild claustrophobia, at which point you're likely to begin violently thrashing around until you get yourself free, only to find you've kicked the door wide open and into that metal trashcan that was next to the wall, filling up what's left of your weekend with the task of paint chip repair trial and error to fix the scratched body paint the trash can collision caused.

Oh yeah, and you could try to close the garage door so that your neighbors' laughing jeers weren't so obvious and distracting, but keep in mind the ambient air temp in the garage barely gets below 100F with the door wide open. Closing it will surely cause that to skyrocket.

But hey, look at the bright side, at least you can brag to people that you've got a "Heated Garage" :wink3:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,027 Posts
The assumption is you HAVE a battery charger or other 12V source

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The assumption is you HAVE a battery charger or other 12V source

A Guy
True but all the more reason to have one on hand. :browsmiley: Besides every garage should have at least battery charger (not the ones from HF...they need to sense some voltage to work) or tender.

On a side note, you might want to keep your jumper cables in the cabin of the car or some how attached to one of the back seats so you don't have to crawl in. Heck this has me thinking I should make a dedicated spot under the hood for a set of jumpers.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,027 Posts
Ahhh, I have heard of this "garage" thing you speak of. Some are pretty fancy. Must be nice...

A Guy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts