Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to the Challenger world, so please forgive me if this is a similar repost (been looking at posts for a week). I have a completely stock 17 T/A with the 5.7 six speed. It handles, looks, and drives great but does lack in the power dept. If put an 8k budget out there, what would be best? Bolt on's or forced induction? I'll be doing the work myself, so labor costs won't come into play until a tune is concerned.

·
Registered
26 Posts
$8k? Put a ProCharger on it. You should see your HP bump up to around 550hp.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,343 Posts
You already have a great car, keep it in the bank since someone will always have a faster car.
If you have $8000 to spend why didn't you just buy a 392 instead from the start?
There has been others here who did amazing things to their car only to have to sell them shortly after when the credit card bills started to show up.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Down payment on a T/A 392. I love the 5.7 and it's good for modding but your car is new. Why throw away your warranty too? Either trade it in on a 392 or save your money. My $.02

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wanted the T/A package the most. Reminded me of the old days. Plus the 392 T/A's were 10k more. I figured I'd get more ponies out of this set up without having to change out the bottom end. I'd consider a procharger, but the T/A has factory CAI where the blower would go, so i'd have to go the twin screw route.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I wanted the T/A package the most. Reminded me of the old days. Plus the 392 T/A's were 10k more. I figured I'd get more ponies out of this set up without having to change out the bottom end. I'd consider a procharger, but the T/A has factory CAI where the blower would go, so i'd have to go the twin screw route.
I'm all for hot rodding and I would enjoy watching your build unfold, but your warranty is worth more than $2K... It's your car and you should do what makes you happy. Some guys really find enjoyment in the build process and I applaud that. At the very least, you have the better looking T/A wheels... The 392 T/A wheels are not good IMO.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Go down to your Dodge dealer and see if they have a 392. Test drive it and see if it's what you're looking for. If not, you may be looking to get into a Hellcat. (Anyone seen T/A side stripes on a Hellcat?) If it's a Hellcat you need, save up your bread. I waited a couple of years, saving as much as I could to be able to afford my 392. (I'm retired.) I was tempted to buy lower when I had the cash, but held tight for a SPS or T/A. It's plenty fast enough for me. I don't race but just love the power and noise that it makes. (Love to wake the meth-heads up at 2 in the morning.) I wouldn't fiddle f*** around with the 5.7. Save $$$, unload it and get what you really want.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Add a procharger, like I did to my 5.7 :smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts