Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2009 Hemi Orange, 6-spd, 1125 miles, wife loves it...

Weekend warrior car ONLY!

Would you trade for 392, install a new cam or just leave it alone???

How about a replacement engine?

Opinions???

OUT!

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Is your 2009 a SRT? For the money your going to lose I'd think you could put a maggie on it. I don't know about the new MOARS but usually if you change out the engine you have to change out the bell housing and sometimes the whole tranny.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about that.

It is a 6.1 SRT. Love the Hemi Orange color.

Leaning towards a camshaft installation with a small lift.

Blower, perhaps a Magnacharger.

Just looking for a little more but not 100 HP increase, something closer to the 392.

Ideas appreciated.

OUT!

·
Registered
111 Posts
With such low mileage, I would leave the car alone. Since you don't drive it that much, not many opportunities to race and show off.

If you wanted a small change, a few simple bolt ons and a good dyno tune will help you feel some difference.

With all the mods I have done to my Jeep, I only get to really enjoy it when I am at the track or a car show just to let everyone hear it idle. I have ordered an IE392 and plan to leave it close to stock with a few minor bolt ons that could be reversed back to stock.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,001 Posts
For the moment I would leave it. I would watch the forum through the summer and see how the 392 does and then if you do not mind the monetary hit make your move at the end of the year. Otherwise just mod your car.

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,208 Posts
If you don't race your SRT, why take a financial hit to buy a 2011 6.4? You have a great car. If you just want it to be faster, spend the money on performance mods.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I too share your dilemma. I like the fact of the 392 being a limited edition like the 2008 model but we all witnessed how over the next couple of years, the 2009 and 2010 changed out parts and improved.

In all, I am planning to just go to the dealership and see exactly how much I like the 392 vs. my 6.1L heads/cam. I already sat in the R/T version and got a feel for the much, much smaller steering wheel and actually (convienence buttons aside), preferred the larger, old steering wheel. I didn't like the new door handles much as they have a tacky appearance to them. They do seem like they are more functional as your hand won't slip off of them as easily when trying to open the door.

In all, my buying point is b/c it's the Inaugural Edition, it has it's showyness rights, they have made a few of changes in consideration to convenience, and more importantly I get a 36,000mi/3year bumper-to-bumper warranty. Also the fact that, yes, you can modify a 6.1L with aftermarket, but you can also just purchase this 392 from the factory without all of the extra legwork. Most of these make for horrible buying points but the want is outweighing the need right now...

From a performance perspective, yes it's a 392 engine based on the 5.7L block that does make some monstrous power vs a stock 6.1L, the suspension geometry changed up with negative camber and stiffer springs, and modified the front chin spoiler; but these are things that can be done to a 6.1L block and vehicle. The benefit of the 6.1L; it's been around so long and over various chassis that the aftermarket has been able to do a lot of development/testing/research. The new 392, well, it's a whole new ballgame. Active intake manifold that have been reported by other Chrysler products to become faulty, a new engine controller that there currently is no aftermarket to modify it (all in due time DiabloSport) with and will require research/testing/developing.

Good discussion as I'm driving my significant other bonkers over 392 talk all the time :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
When I bought mine I was told 392 was not going to happen it was only going in the trucks. So I bought the 2010. When the 392 did come out I was not happy.

I added some more power and now I'm happier than ever. If I do a motor swap in future it will be a nice forged square proven 6.1. I would not touch the 6.4 with VVT and the new PCM that knowbody knows anything about. I will take down any IE now and have complete support from aftermarket. Enjoy your 6.1 , I would not do cam but heads intake high flow cats and tune will get you 495 hp or go FI with a
a cherry on top that will yield 585 hp at the crank.

My 2 cents

1 - 10 of 10 Posts