Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Shaker 6 spd manual 18 spkrs Harmon Kardon
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been living here now for 3 years. At my age this is it. I call it "my resting place".

Loving it here, mountain roads starting one mile from my house, 30K population, all is well.

I thought I would join a local car club which I did and went to their "meet" [?] for the first time last week.

I don't know what I expected but there was nothing going on. About 50 cars all lined up. I am a fairly friendly person and tried to start conversations with a few but they end up nowhere and actually, well, there was nothing going on besides standing and... as I said, nothing!

A bit standoffish as I would call it, I thought there would be much more "camaraderie" , chat about cars, mods, whatever...

I am not going back. There are other Clubs 60 miles from here which are MOPAR clubs I might try.

What are your experiences if you have any with Clubs? There has to be more than just standing around!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I think the more you attend, the more they warm up as they get to know you. I’ve been with my club for over 4 years now and have gained so many new friends. We’re a Facebook based club so get to know and communicate mostly online for setting up meets and events. We have over 2K members now but would say only a small percentage are really active. It’s been a great source for what’s new in the modding world although painful on my wallet :)

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I have a friend that is in our local "Hollywood Knights" and they do some heat things. Last year they would go to the local Best Buy and bring a huge grille on a trailer and make Burgers and Dogs for a "meet and greet". They do a track rental at Quaker City Dragway. They do spend a lot of $$$ on their cars, slow members run 10's. Nice guys, no Mopars in the group, been asked to join but not interested in being a "Prospect" or a "Hang Around".

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean I "don't have to", thought it would be nice. I did stumble once on a MOPAR group in the Mountains having a Family picnic and they were so welcoming! It was nice. I guess it is hit and miss... I understand. I like activities. Not just standing around.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
While I've met some really nice "club members," at a few meets, it always seems to end up with the same scenario.

One guy acting like "the king," others complaining about how the club is run, and a lot of "attitudes" towards non members and their cars.

I don't need this when just trying to have a good time.

Call me whatever, but just not interested in the club scene at all.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I've met some really nice "club members," at a few meets, it always seems to end up with the same scenario.

One guy acting like "the king," others complaining about how the club is run, and a lot of "attitudes" towards non members and their cars.

Laughing out loud!!! My feelings are the same. Use to belong many Moons ago to a few Motorcycle Clubs and that was the same scenario. So yes, Saturday while standing in the heat on solid cement and all members with a haggard look on their faces literally zombied out, the thought of the Mountain roads calling me emerged.

It was just a try! Like Forums you know. Some are good and some are not. I really like this Forum here I must say. So yes, Club was something to try while trying to figure out if I did something wrong but I guess not. Not the friendliest bunch... No biggie!

Thanks...

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Zero interest in joining anything, there’s alway drama in any clubs as there are the “officers” and they let it be known etc.
Then there are members who vehicles are so overdone they look like clown cars, go to Chrysler’s at Carlisle you can spot them from afar. Their owners are dressed just like their cars which is why when I walk through every year I never say I know them from here. I prefer to do my own thing on my own time.
My car was out for the third time this season and put on a whole 97 miles. I think it’s time I give it to my son, it just doesn’t get driven like I planned to when I bought it 8 years ago. I think I’ll buy a new Miata convertible to go with my 1991 Miata except that one has a stroked V-8 under the hood.
Got to love listening to the cam do it’s thing.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Zero interest in joining anything, there’s alway drama in any clubs as there are the “officers” and they let it be known etc.
Then there are members who vehicles are so overdone they look like clown cars, go to Chrysler’s at Carlisle you can spot them from afar. Their owners are dressed just like their cars which is why when I walk through every year I never say I know them from here. I prefer to do my own thing on my own time.
My car was out for the third time this season and put on a whole 97 miles. I think it’s time I give it to my son, it just doesn’t get driven like I planned to when I bought it 8 years ago. I think I’ll buy a new Miata convertible to go with my 1991 Miata except that one has a stroked V-8 under the hood.
Got to love listening to the cam do it’s thing.
Yeah, the last two years have been different for me too.

Last year flooding in all our favorite road trip routes, and now this crazy buttocked year.

Planning on giving mine to my son too, but that's down the road a bit.

Had a few folks ask why keep it if I'm not driving it much and I just say "Cuz I can."

It'll get better again, or I'll crap out and then I really won't need it! Lol

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
So I have been living here now for 3 years. At my age this is it. I call it "my resting place".

Loving it here, mountain roads starting one mile from my house, 30K population, all is well.

I thought I would join a local car club which I did and went to their "meet" [?] for the first time last week.

I don't know what I expected but there was nothing going on. About 50 cars all lined up. I am a fairly friendly person and tried to start conversations with a few but they end up nowhere and actually, well, there was nothing going on besides standing and... as I said, nothing!

A bit standoffish as I would call it, I thought there would be much more "camaraderie" , chat about cars, mods, whatever...

I am not going back. There are other Clubs 60 miles from here which are MOPAR clubs I might try.

What are your experiences if you have any with Clubs? There has to be more than just standing around!

View attachment 999158
Just gotta give it time and it’ll happen, hang it there..car people are weird In their own way for the most part, treat them like you would like to be treated and you’ll be good to go

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts

I second what he's saying. Too much drama! I now belong to a group, not a club. I helped start, and quit, 2 clubs. Car shows are fun, car clubs are exhausting!

One thing I did do when I was involved was to seek out those I did not know, newbies, and introduced myself as the VP. I know what it's like showing up as the new guy, and did so because I knew they'd appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
The more I get to know about people... the more I love my cat! I have never been a group type guy, prefer to be on my own(not counting wife and daughter.) I don't even wave at fellow Challenger owners anymore, they've turned me into one of them.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
237 Posts
I know car clubs have been around a long time but I feel like they've really exploded over the past 10-15 years. maybe thats the fault of the Fast and the Furious franchise??? I don't know.

I used to go to car meets ALL the time, but have never been in a club. It's always just been, word of mouth or weekend car shows where anyone can attend. I've brought this up before here but the best meets I've had were all organized from forums like this. No "officers" or any official club type stuff, just a bunch of like-minded people saying, "hey, let's get together over at x this saturday around noon".

I'm a bit surprised and honestly saddened that this doesn't seem to go on here. I see there's regional forums but they're not as active as ones I've been a part of in the past on other forums.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,956 Posts
Yeah, the only possible thing worse than being in a group of people on the internet comparing cars/opinions/ideals is actually doing it in person ;)
I go and look at other peoples cars, mainly old unusual stuff. I enjoy my stuff for what it is, but not the "you got the wrong __ (engine,color,transmission,number of doors,brand,year,options,graphics,WHEELS) I like truly custom cars, where they are actually modified, not just bolt on/stuck on stuff, real metal work type stuff. At most shows, and on this site, there are cars I would never, ever, put in my driveway, but fully understand why others like them, and don't like mine. Just no need to debate stuff face to face, so why add to life's confrontations. I think I would like a "muscle car" club more than a MOPAR club, give me some thing different to look at and appreciate, and a reason to enjoy going back to my SPS.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Just gotta give it time and it’ll happen, hang it there..car people are weird In their own way for the most part, treat them like you would like to be treated and you’ll be good to go
Give them time? If I say hello to someone and basically get no reply I don’t say it again or waste my time on them.
Me, I’ll say hi to everyone and be open and polite but give me crap like you’re too good to talk to me the next time you encounter me and say something you very likely will be told to go do something to yourself. So far nobody has gotten in my face over it.
Me, I’ll hang with my 54 pound puppy, they don’t do drama.
I’ll hang here at my leisure otherwise I don’t do group things.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Yeah, the only possible thing worse than being in a group of people on the internet comparing cars/opinions/ideals is actually doing it in person ;)
I go and look at other peoples cars, mainly old unusual stuff. I enjoy my stuff for what it is, but not the "you got the wrong __ (engine,color,transmission,number of doors,brand,year,options,graphics,WHEELS) I like truly custom cars, where they are actually modified, not just bolt on/stuck on stuff, real metal work type stuff. At most shows, and on this site, there are cars I would never, ever, put in my driveway, but fully understand why others like them, and don't like mine. Just no need to debate stuff face to face, so why add to life's confrontations. I think I would like a "muscle car" club more than a MOPAR club, give me some thing different to look at and appreciate, and a reason to enjoy going back to my SPS.
Yep, went to a "Club Meet" that was open to all, and in my area.

Within 10 minutes one club member came by and introduced himself. I thought that was nice, until he got "on his stool."

He told me that anyone with any car is welcomed, but as he looked at my SP he stated, "Anyone can buy a new car."

OK, game on with this putz. I asked him what he had, and it was a very nicely restored '67 GTO. "I'm the second owner" he proudly barfed out, and "I restored it." Hmmm, drum roll getting louder in my head.

I said wow, very nice job. "Did you do all the work yourself?" He then gave me the blow by blow of all these top end shops that did the powertrain, then the body and paint, and the interior. Again I said wow, "It looks better than when it rolled off the line."

He said " yep, it sure does, and I'm damn proud of it."

I shook his hand and said, "Yep, anyone can have an old car restored to perfection by pros!"

He got a little pissed look on his dumb mug and I finished up with "You enjoy your new car too that cost probably 2-3 times what I have in mine. And BTW, mine will romp you're buttocks in the 1/4 and top end."

He thumped off with his tail dragging. Lol

Yep, don't need to meet so called car guys that are like this face to face.

Just cruising alone is WAY more fun. FWIW, when I left the meet, I noticed that he was really giving me the old skunk eye!

I felt obliged to leave in a beautiful smokey HEMI burnout, just for the fun of it!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Yep, went to a "Club Meet" that was open to all, and in my area.

Within 10 minutes one club member came by and introduced himself. I thought that was nice, until he got "on his stool."

He told me that anyone with any car is welcomed, but as he looked at my SP he stated, "Anyone can buy a new car."

OK, game on with this putz. I asked him what he had, and it was a very nicely restored '67 GTO. "I'm the second owner" he proudly barfed out, and "I restored it." Hmmm, drum roll getting louder in my head.

I said wow, very nice job. "Did you do all the work yourself?" He then gave me the blow by blow of all these top end shops that did the powertrain, then the body and paint, and the interior. Again I said wow, "It looks better than when it rolled off the line."

He said " yep, it sure does, and I'm damn proud of it."

I shook his hand and said, "Yep, anyone can have an old car restored to perfection by pros!"

He got a little pissed look on his dumb mug and I finished up with "You enjoy your new car too that cost probably 2-3 times what I have in mine. And BTW, mine will romp you're buttocks in the 1/4 and top end."

He thumped off with his tail dragging. Lol

Yep, don't need to meet so called car guys that are like this face to face.

Just cruising alone is WAY more fun. FWIW, when I left the meet, I noticed that he was really giving me the old skunk eye!

I felt obliged to leave in a beautiful smokey HEMI burnout, just for the fun of it!
That sums up about 40% of them. I have a 1967 El Camino, (for sale) and me and my dad are very proud of it. As far as we know it has never been apart other than trim and some panels for paint (twice, 45 years in Las Vegas...) most moving parts have been replaced, other than suspension and rear axle, all by me and my dad. (Pics in the UFO thread) It is not a "survivor" it is a 53 year old vehicle that has been used for 53 years, somethings changed with the times, but appearance wise it could be like they were 45 years ago. I can tell you why ever single alteration was done, by me and my dad, and when. But nobody cares if it isn't a rotisserie restoration which in my opinion should be classified as "reconstructed" most of the time. Just because insurance didn't total them out, doesn't mean that the entire car hasn't been apart and put back, possibly by shady process, all unregulated/inspected.
Now the other 60%, maybe 20% is crap I don't get, rice, slammed trucks, stuff like that with more money in lights adn sound then what the drivetrain is worth.
Then the 40% that is left is a nice mix of normal cars, old to new with normal people (old to new!) and cool cars. There will be somebody worth talking to and something to learn, as long as it isn't 15 Challengers in a row.

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
I know car clubs have been around a long time but I feel like they've really exploded over the past 10-15 years. maybe thats the fault of the Fast and the Furious franchise??? I don't know.

I used to go to car meets ALL the time, but have never been in a club. It's always just been, word of mouth or weekend car shows where anyone can attend. I've brought this up before here but the best meets I've had were all organized from forums like this. No "officers" or any official club type stuff, just a bunch of like-minded people saying, "hey, let's get together over at x this saturday around noon".

I'm a bit surprised and honestly saddened that this doesn't seem to go on here. I see there's regional forums but they're not as active as ones I've been a part of in the past on other forums.
gouge93, you can thank Facebook Groups for the demise of regional forums on here, and other hobbyist sites. No club would be successful without a social media presence. Then what happens? The people that DON'T have a FB account ***** that they can't keep up to date with what's happening, and insist that someone start a webpage for the group. Then you gotta find someone who wants to do that, set it up. And keep it updated and relevant. Good luck with that one!

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
...The people that DON'T have a FB account * that they can't keep up to date with what's happening, ...
HEY, I resemble that remark!! Life exists fine without FaceBook, and I don't care what other people do every second of their life, and I know that they don't care about crap that I do every day. BUT I don't * about it, I enjoy not knowing what everyone on the planet is doing.

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
Back in the 1990's I was in a Mustang club. It wasn't bad. It was sponsored by a dealership and they had meetings there and gave away stuff. The club entered the large car shows en masse and would do the A&W thing after meetings. All in all not bad. After the dark days of Chrysler ended and I was brought back into the Mopar fold, I joined a Mopar club. Quite a let down. They had their little clique and when I joined and entered my car no one said anything to me. Everyone just sat by their car and stared off into space. They did not enter other large shows as a group. Also sponsored by a dealership and the "shows" were bi-monthly at the dealership. Just seemed like a sales tactic to me to bring folks onto the lot. They had free dogs and burgers which had the unintended consequence of attracting people who had no interest in our cars or buying a car but wanted free food for the whole family. The last show I attended, while the parents were taking advantage of the free eats, their little child was over by my car trying to climb up my driver's door and into the car. That was when I said enough of this and my car club days were ended.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Car clubs can be a disappointment as there are cliques within the club and there are sometimes those club members who feel that their car is superior to yours or that something on your car is not correct. My problem with a few of the car clubs that are Mopar related is that I am much older then most of their members and we don't have much in common. I have found that Cars & Coffee meetups are more fun, usually only last two hours and you are done. There is a general mix of cars and most people don't know each other that well which might be a plus. The downside of C & C's is that they start very early but end early as well. The other recent thing that I have observed from videos posted from C & C's and car club events is that people are not social distancing and wearing masks. I have chosen not to attend any of these events in the interest of caution. Instead, the wife and I have been taking Sunday drives to scenic locations in the area and do not get out of the car.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts