Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered. Nothing too crazy. Granite crystal RT plus 6spd blacktop with stripe delete and 430 radio. I'm super stoked! But now the miserable time of waiting for her. I have a question though since this is the first brand new car I've ever purchased. What should I be looking for/at before I sign the final paperwork and drive off the lot? Some things I've learned on here of what to look for but just thought some people can give me some ideas of something I never thought of which would save me a trip back to the dealer.

Even gaps and alignment of panels
Rail dust
2 key fobs and the start button in the glove box or installed
Floor mats
Wheel locks
Obviously any major damage

Anything else I should look out for? It's gonna be tuff not to just jump in it and take her home so I'd like to be prepared

Thanks everyone in advance

·
Super Moderator
15,336 Posts
These cars are not shipped with wheel locks - FYI.

Check to make sure the keyless entry (fobs, driver / pass door handles, trunk release) all work properly.

Check that all the electronics (EVIC, radio, phone pairing, TPMS) work properly, if not have this documented if a warranty repair is needed.

check fluid levels are at proper levels and of course, engine / driveline function properly w/o any noises.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hal. My bad. I thought they had wheel locks. Good point about engine/ drivetrain noise. Forgot about the "hemi tick" that's not the hemi tick. Good call on that. Honestly I never would have thought about checking the fluids consider its a new car. That's the stuff I'm talking about.

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
Check the paint real close for nicks and scratches. There will be imperfections and most likely dust in the paint, they will not fix those, but obvious issues should be noted. check the roof for any dimples. I dont know if that is still a problem, but look across the roof for sure.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Rail dust is almost a given, but it can be taken care of and I wouldn't let the dealer do it, personally. They have no clue how to detail (or prep, in some cases) cars.

I'd also look for:

-permanent paint issues like runs or fish eyes
-headliner problems (sagging, look at front and back as there's nothing to hold it there)
-dash defects, especially in the airbag cover area (spotting the outline is normal)
-dents in the sheet metal especially in the rear quarter panels, C-pillars and roof (don't sweat the roof seals - they're cheap and no one sees them)
-check the mileage
-once home check the tire pressure

And don't let the staff pressure you. Take your time as long as your car is not in the way. It's better to notice things in the lot than have to come back and argue over who did what.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Have your salesman pair your bluetooth phone which can be a bit confusing and you'll be wanting that operational when you drive off the lot.

Also a quick familiarization of basic features is good. Sounds stupid but I bought a new car once and it started raining on the drive home and I couldn't figure out how to turn on the WS wipers.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Don't let them apply the front license plate bracket if your state only requires one plate. If your state does require 2 plates, again, Don't let them drill your front bumper. Attach the bracket with toggle bolts to the lower grill. It looks way better than in the middle of the bumper. There are threads on here that show you how to attach the bracket if your are not sure. I won't let my dealer apply any advertisement stickers to any of my cars. They don't advertise for me, I won't do it for them. My dealer did a crap job of prepping my car. I am still finding places where the glue for the protective wrap is on my paint.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT Core
552 Posts
Take your time and look it over good,it's still cold out have them bring it inside,look under the hood and under the car,if you notice something missing or not working get it in writing before you sign.Also try to leverage them for some wheels lock if thre not on the car alot of dealers around here put them on the good wheels so they don't get stolen while on the lot.

·
Premium Member
9,343 Posts
The dealers only motivation is your MONEY. If you find anything you don't like make them fix it before you accept delivery. Once you sign for it they under under the same pressure to prompty and correctly fix it. May this not be the case but if there is something such as a sound in the engine that really isn't right, make them fix it, walk away from that car, or make them order a different car.
One other thing, make them get a dealer plate and test drive it before you sign on the dotted line.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,117 Posts
[QUOTE
One other thing, make them get a dealer plate and test drive it before you sign on the dotted line.[/QUOTE]
This is critical.....
Also look at the alignment of the tail light sections, it seems most Challengers come with these misaligned. Both mine did and I've seen many at shows with this issue that the owners didn't notice. It's easy to fix yourself, or make the dealer do it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
All of the above, and of course again check EVIC and Uconnect.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Maybe you could get the day time running lights turned on before you take delivery.

I wish I would have negotiated some extra perks before I made the deal, such as a car cover. I would try to get them to throw in some touch up paint.

Also check body panel alignment. Some folks have had issues with that.

Oh, and I would highly recommend you have the mud guards installed. I waited a few thousand miles. The tires kick up so much crap, you will wish you had them. I now have some noticeable pits behind the rear tires.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If dealer stickers present demand at least 5 free oil changes...

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,220 Posts
Get the windows tinted at dealer, i worked this in at the dealer on my new car got all windows done
for 150 bucks. you can work in some extras like spoilers, stripes, splash gaurds, full tank
of fuel.

They will ask what you think about the car, tell them it would look better
if you .........tint the windows, add this or that. They will do some for free or reduced cost
and thats the time to get it done before you sign.

The dealer does want you happy so they get a good grade when the survey comes from mopar.

·
Premium Member
9,343 Posts
Get the windows tinted at dealer, i worked this in at the dealer on my new car got all windows done
for 150 bucks. you can work in some extras like spoilers, stripes, splash gaurds, full tank
of fuel.

They will ask what you think about the car, tell them it would look better
if you .........tint the windows, add this or that. They will do some for free or reduced cost
and thats the time to get it done before you sign.

The dealer does want you happy so they get a good grade when the survey comes from mopar.
Every new car I've bought came with a full tank of gas.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Look underneath, in the back & make sure your exhaust pipes are even (one's not drooping lower than the other) and/or the tips are aligned w/each other

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a lot guys! This helps out big. I think I'm actually going to write down all the stuff in this thread and take it with me and go down it like a check list. Lol the dealer is gonna love me hahaha. One question though... Several people have mentioned to check the EVIC. What am I checking or looking for on it? I know you can change some setting and stuff like that but isn't it just a display

·
Super Moderator
15,336 Posts
Thanks a lot guys! This helps out big. I think I'm actually going to write down all the stuff in this thread and take it with me and go down it like a check list. Lol the dealer is gonna love me hahaha. One question though... Several people have mentioned to check the EVIC. What am I checking or looking for on it? I know you can change some setting and stuff like that but isn't it just a display
Mainly to make sure the buttons and all the menus function (EVIC is optional on 'auto R/T, std. on 6-speed).

There have been some recent posts about EVIC screens freezing or some screens not coming up...this can be an IP cluster or a software re-flash to correct this. Many of the lights, alarm (horn/lights), Hill Start Assist and other functions are set through the EVIC screens.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts