Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want my engine cover painted to match the body color. How much do I need to set aside from my upgrade account?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Most guys that have painted it did it themself. I am painting mine Hemi orange to match my car. I ordered the colour matched orange paint from the dealer so that it would be an exact match. Just picked it up. Have not done it yet. Two cans of orange and one can of clearcoat ran about 30 bucks. I have attached a pic of another member's cover that I liked and am going to duplicate.

DSC00572-1.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
I went to the Dealership to find my paint, but the parts department is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. I did my cover with advice and quidance from Challenger5.7 as with him I bought all the materials from auto zone for under $20. I went a step further and got some plastic bonding paint to act as a primer form Home Depot. along with some masking tape.

Its an easy mod and fun to do...Good Luck :)

9.jpg
12.jpg
painted Shroud.jpg

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Will there be any issues with using this type of paint in the engine compartment due to heat?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Will there be any issues with using this type of paint in the engine compartment due to heat?
I don't think so, It is automotive paint. I've driven it straight shot 110 miles up to Denver & turned it back around Havn't noticed anything out of the ordinary, no chipping bubbling discolorization or anything but I guess time will tell. My impression is that it will be fine.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I went to the Dealership to find my paint, but the parts department is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. I did my cover with advice and quidance from Challenger5.7 as with him I bought all the materials from auto zone for under $20. I went a step further and got some plastic bonding paint to act as a primer form Home Depot. along with some masking tape.

By the way, I haven't really looked too hard under the hood due to the all the rain we've had here but how does the cover come off anyway??:icon_confused:

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
The cover just pulls off, but you have a hose in the air filter/CAI that has to be pulled out. I have mine at the body shop now and they will paint it for me the same color as my body. I am getting body work done and they are just going to paint it the same time that the do the car.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Oh ok I'll have to check it out when it stops raining here. Make sure you take some pics of it and post it JPW...being a black car I'm curious how that will look.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job guys. I don't think I want to take the chance of messing it up. I'll pay a professional.

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
Oh ok I'll have to check it out when it stops raining here. Make sure you take some pics of it and post it JPW...being a black car I'm curious how that will look.

I will Dino...Maybe (hopefully) by this time next week I will have her back home where she belongs. I am also going to do the 5.7 V8 and the Hemi's on the side in silver along with the ribs too. I am trying to stay with the silver and black colors. Plan on getting the Billets polished under the hood kit when I get her back. I have already added hood pins that look great.:grim:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
This mod is no brainer for any do it yourselfer. Like Kausion said, $20 bucks at autozone and I got actual Hemi Orange paint by duplicolor, primer, clear, and silver pinstriping for the ridges. Clean and degrease the entire cover, tape off with masking, lay down primer, 3 or 4 light coats of your body color paint, lay down your pinstripes on the ridges, and then 4 or 5 light coats of clear to contain everything and keep the pinstripes from curling. Depending on the weather and humidity just wait about 5 mins between your coats, you want the paint to be tacky but not fully dried... tacky so that the next layer kinda bonds with the previous layer. You can also use plastic bonding paint as Kausion suggested. Takes a few hours but mainly from masking off the 'hemi' letters and waiting between coats. I pop the hood and there isnt one person who would have guessed i did it myself, they all swear its factory. Heres some pics of mine

And pics of an older member who I got the idea from

·
Registered
362 Posts
Do you guys think it would look good in my black car to paint it with the matching brilliant black and then having the top, letters and stripes plum crazy? I also saw some purple reflective plates and letters at reflective concepts for this engine cover but I don't know how that would look. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do you guys think it would look good in my black car to paint it with the matching brilliant black and then having the top, letters and stripes plum crazy? I also saw some purple reflective plates and letters at reflective concepts for this engine cover but I don't know how that would look. What do you guys think?
IMO the choice is purely a personal one. but, I also think that a brilliant black painted Shroud with Plum highlights/accents would be a very dark and harsh complimentary combination. That is just what is stewing in my mind though. Alternating the colors might work but colud be overwhelming as well. I think the way you stated is a good idea with an insert for the center piece in Plum, that would tie it all together nicely. I really like the way thsi mod makes the engine bay look. Let us now what you decide and post some Pics.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I see what your saying about it being too dark. Thats why I was thinking the reflective purple inserts because they are probably brighters. On the website they don't have a pic of what it would look like with the purple but they have one with the reflective orange on black and I think it looks good.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Before I dished out that kinda $ I'd call the vender and ask to see a sample. It might work and everything is kosh, on the otherhand what if it dont? trial & error, isn't that the fun of it though...

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just completed this project this weekend. I am so happy with the result! Thanks to Challenger5.7 for the inspiration and the step-by-step instructions he posted. I never would have thought to do this if I had not seen his pics on the same car as mine! Thanks Man! (I know you got the idea from another member but I don't know who it was. I would like to give credit to all the other guys who did this mod and posted pics for the rest of us to copy!). I bought the Mopar color matched paint so that it would be an axact match with the fine metalic pearl in the paint so it looks totally factory. I am so glad I did. It cost a couple more bucks than buying plain orange paint, but worth it I think. Now I just have to decide if I want to paint the 5.7L / V8 on the grey center section. I can't decide. Anyway, thanks for the idea everyone!:bigthumb:

DSC01664.JPG
DSC01667.JPG
DSC01675.JPG
DSC01680.JPG
DSC01684.JPG

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I just completed this project this weekend. I am so happy with the result! Thanks to Challenger5.7 for the inspiration and the step-by-step instructions he posted. I never would have thought to do this if I had not seen his pics on the same car as mine! Thanks Man! (I know you got the idea from another member but I don't know who it was. I would like to give credit to all the other guys who did this mod and posted pics for the rest of us to copy!). I bought the Mopar color matched paint so that it would be an axact match with the fine metalic pearl in the paint so it looks totally factory. I am so glad I did. It cost a couple more bucks than buying plain orange paint, but worth it I think. Now I just have to decide if I want to paint the 5.7L / V8 on the grey center section. I can't decide. Anyway, thanks for the idea everyone!:bigthumb:
Wow!!! Mine doesnt even look that nice. Glad I was able to help you but I think you've perfected it my man. :bigthumb: Let me know when we can go into business together :bigthumb::bigthumb:

One more thing... I painted the raised "5.7/V8" letters in the middle grey portion my first time around and it did not look right at all to me, I changed it real quick. I think just leaving the entire middle section grey helps keep the entire engine cover contrasting the right way whenever you step back and look at the whole thing in the engine bay. Plus why change something that looks simply awesome already, good job on yours

·
Registered
262 Posts
One more thing... I painted the raised "5.7/V8" letters in the middle grey portion my first time around and it did not look right at all to me, I changed it real quick. I think just leaving the entire middle section grey helps keep the entire engine cover contrasting the right way whenever you step back and look at the whole thing in the engine bay. Plus why change something that looks simply awesome already, good job on yours
That's what I was afraid of. I was tempted to hand paint them orange or silver, but I think you are right. You don't want to over do it. I think it looks good the way it is. I was never too excited about the look of the engine before. I thought it did not live up to the look of the exterior of the car. I would even warn people when they asked to see under the hood. I would say "Don't get too excited. It's not much to look at". Now with the Mopar CAI and the cover painted it looks far more impressive! I don't mind popping the hood now!

Thanks again for the idea!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
STOP! Don't do anything else to it, it looks GREAT! Think I'm gonna go hemi orange as well against my black car/engine compartment. Give it a bit of contrast. Where do I get the Mopar hemi orange paint?

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I got mine at the dealership just to have in case I needed it. For those of you that have a Brilliant Black car here are the Mopar part numbers.

04889820AB Touch up paint

E04889821AA Touch up paint (spray)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts