Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to do a detail on San Antonio Rose before putting her away for the winter, and my question to everyone is:

I am wanting to "shine" up the 20" Heritage wheels, they are looking half/half sort of scummy in spots, I am wanting to keep that chrome-look shine.

I had a set of Polished American Racing TT2's on my WS6 Convert a few years ago, and they were neglected by the former owner and even though they shined they seemed to always have a coating of build-up on them, that no matter what I used or how hard I rubbed they never came shiny polished clean.

So What does everyone else use to keep that shiny chrome look without the scum, and possibly ruining them in the future?

Thanks Jeffrey

·
Registered
515 Posts
I use Sonax to clean my wheels. Mine aren't chrome or polished but it does a great job. When I did have to polish wheels I used Simichrome.

Reactions: daddy's R/T

·
Registered
268 Posts
^^^
Exactly!

I Should have elaborated. If you’ve never waxed them you can use dawn first then apply your wax.

Afterwards just car wash soap and more coats of wax.

Also the perfect tool is the Daytona speed brush. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
since yours have some miles on them I'd wash with a microfiber towel and car shampoo.
then, go over every inch of them again with Dawn (reach through to the back barrel of the wheels
too). then I'd clay bar them keeping the clay well lubed with detail spray, wash them again and
after dry I'd use a very thin application of Adam's Quick Sealer.. let that cure 30 mins minimum, then apply
a second coat all along spraying on a foam applicator and appying it.. not spraying directly on the wheel, (had problems doing that).. then applying a couple of light coats of carnuba wax on top of all that,
after the second coat of Sealer has cured a minimum of 30 mins also.. and in the future I'd only use either waterless wash on them or car shampoo, wheel cleaners can strip the protection you just put on. I waterless wash mine often even if they don't look dirty just to keep the disk brake dust from damaging the clear coat on them.

I didn't like the base wheels that were coming on my order car so I bought a used set of SRT WP3 Alcoas to put on the car when it came in.. I did exactly what I detailed above and they looked better than new. the wheel choices changed and I got the new Classic II wheel and sold my WP3's to Bob Frederick and when he got them he called and asked what I had done to them, he said they were slicker and shinier than any new wheel like them he'd ever seen.

·
Super Moderator
13,962 Posts
Every couple of months, I use Meguires Tech Wax on my forged aluminum wheels. On a weekly basis, I clean them with Meguires Detail Spray. After almost 5 years, they still look like new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts