Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install mopar mud flaps but can't seem to be able to remove the stoppers or idk what you call these that are holding the wheel well trim in place. They need to be removed and replaced with screws to hold the mud flaps in place.

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
166 Posts
I'm no expert, but when I had to remove those to put in my JLT splash guards I busted out the flush cutters and a trim clip remover tool (looks like a big fork with two tines). Thought I would need the flush cutter but the clip tool pulled them so far out they didn't need to be cut, they snapped in two. Those clips aren't reusable, hopefully your new kit has new trim clips. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Yeah, I also cut them off with side-cutters when I installed my mud-flaps. I do remember it being a frustrating experience because they were a bit*h to get to, at least on my GT (due to the exhaust setup).

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
376 Posts
Side cutters, also if you mark the splash guard and drill a hole in the splash guard you won't have to remove the iire, as I used the lower existing hole for the fastener

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
1,028 Posts
Those are plastic rivets. They can be removed by drilling them out, cutting the head off, or pulling until they break.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I'll be trying to get the mud flaps on again this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Take the wheels off, makes it much easier.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take the wheels off, makes it much easier.
Yeah that's what I heard but I don't have the tools for that so I'll have to see if I can do it without that.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Yeah I did the same thing as others. I just crawled under the rear and cut off the back of the rivets with wire cutters then used a felt pen to mark on the mud flap. Easy enough and left the tires on.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
I never removed wheels. I used ***** to cut off the rivets, turned front wheels. In rear I used a 1/4" thumb ratchet and a Phillips bit. I used the awl from my Swiss army knife to make the hole

A Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Good advice here! I used this Chinese Amazon gem to remove a different fastener. Wheel well. Handle allowed job to be done without removing wheel. Use a towel or something to cushion the pressure point when prying gently. The panel remover helps after getting it started.
Tool

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Yeah that's what I heard but I don't have the tools for that so I'll have to see if I can do it without that.
Head on over to Harbor Freight, they will have everything you need to take them off, safely. There may be other reasons to take them off in the future, having the tools will make it easier.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Head on over to Harbor Freight, they will have everything you need to take them off, safely. There may be other reasons to take them off in the future, having the tools will make it easier.
Do they loan tools? My local auto zone does but not power tools. If not how much would they cost me to purchase? Might be a good investment

1 - 15 of 15 Posts