Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. So I'm about to get a kenne bell supercharger and I'm just curious as to what tuning I should get. Email. Dyno. Or one the kenne bell sends. Email is cheapest but I'd rather not go with that. Dyno is most expensive but I'm just a bit scared. If anyone is in salt lake city utah and recommend a shop I'd appreciate it. The one I'm going to seems like a good shop. They specialize in mopar ford and chevy. But way more ford and dhevy than mopar. I've seen some crazy cars come from their shop. Like 1200 plus hp crazy. Their tuner has been doing it for a while but I'm nervous because I know this can make or break my engine. I was basically just gonna ask for the most detuned/ safe tune I can get. I'll be getting anA/F guage soon after as well. Or. Final option. Go with KB tune. I only have a cat back so from my understanding their tune would be okay. I've heard of one member who did that and then sold it for hellcat but apparently it's still going good. Kind of curious if you guys think a dyno tune will be safer than a KB tune I'm nervous and would like some opinions. Thanks!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Dyno tune is best and safest . just tell the tuner to be conservative or let him tune for max hp then pull some timing out of it to be safe .

·
Registered
7,320 Posts
I am getting my Whipple Dyno tuned. Then they drive it after it is tuned and make adjustments to get the drivability factor out of it. Since I already have a cam, and headers (installed and tuned) a canned tune will do me zero good.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,133 Posts
Most reputable tuners will tune on a dyno (more of a steady-state test) followed by a street tune (more of a transient test) to work out any drivabilty issues. As for email tunes, they require a wideband sensor to be installed and logged with whichever tuner you decide to run. The 2 most popular are diablo sport or HP tuners (requires a laptop to use). HP tuners seems to be the hot ticket and offers neural network tuning (i.e. retrains PCM...although I have yet to understand how). Although in the end, I guess it will be up to the dyno shop as to which tuner system they use.

As for the "KB tune" it sounds like it is a base tune they developed that is then tweaked either on the dyno or via email with email tuning support being more common...again it would require a wideband installed and logged.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,064 Posts
Hello everyone. So I'm about to get a kenne bell supercharger and I'm just curious as to what tuning I should get. Email. Dyno. Or one the kenne bell sends. Email is cheapest but I'd rather not go with that. Dyno is most expensive but I'm just a bit scared. If anyone is in salt lake city utah and recommend a shop I'd appreciate it. The one I'm going to seems like a good shop. They specialize in mopar ford and chevy. But way more ford and dhevy than mopar. I've seen some crazy cars come from their shop. Like 1200 plus hp crazy. Their tuner has been doing it for a while but I'm nervous because I know this can make or break my engine. I was basically just gonna ask for the most detuned/ safe tune I can get. I'll be getting anA/F guage soon after as well. Or. Final option. Go with KB tune. I only have a cat back so from my understanding their tune would be okay. I've heard of one member who did that and then sold it for hellcat but apparently it's still going good. Kind of curious if you guys think a dyno tune will be safer than a KB tune I'm nervous and would like some opinions. Thanks!!
Is this a 5.7?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this a 5.7?
My bad. Yes 2011 5.7 auto

Most reputable tuners will tune on a dyno (more of a steady-state test) followed by a street tune (more of a transient test) to work out any drivabilty issues. As for email tunes, they require a wideband sensor to be installed and logged with whichever tuner you decide to run. The 2 most popular are diablo sport or HP tuners (requires a laptop to use). HP tuners seems to be the hot ticket and offers neural network tuning (i.e. retrains PCM...although I have yet to understand how). Although in the end, I guess it will be up to the dyno shop as to which tuner system they use.

As for the "KB tune" it sounds like it is a base tune they developed that is then tweaked either on the dyno or via email with email tuning support being more common...again it would require a wideband installed and logged.
I guess I'll get a wideband a little early. Didn't know it was needed for tuning. Do you recommend tuning with the shop. Or email tune? I currently have an intune I3 so I'd use that. Or upgrade to the trinity.the shop uses hp tuners.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,133 Posts
I guess I'll get a wideband a little early. Didn't know it was needed for tuning. Do you recommend tuning with the shop. Or email tune? I currently have an intune I3 so I'd use that. Or upgrade to the trinity.the shop uses hp tuners.
If the shop uses HP tuners your Diablo will essentially be worthless. Last time I tried to link my trinity to my PCM which I tuned with HP tuners it would not pair up as it detected an aftermarket tune. Wideband(s) on forced induction is a must to confirm fueling is correct at accel/WOT as the OEM narrow band O2 sensors only work (PCM ignores during acceleration and WOT) during part throttle.

Your best bet would be to email tune with the diablo. Most tuners can tune with diablo or HP tuners. Or you can have the shop tune with HP tuners and you ditch the Diablo altogether.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the shop uses HP tuners your Diablo will essentially be worthless. Last time I tried to link my trinity to my PCM which I tuned with HP tuners it would not pair up as it detected an aftermarket tune. Wideband(s) on forced induction is a must to confirm fueling is correct at accel/WOT as the OEM narrow band O2 sensors only work (PCM ignores during acceleration and WOT) during part throttle.

Your best bet would be to email tune with the diablo. Most tuners can tune with diablo or HP tuners.
Well I would take off my diablo tune and sell it if the shop is a safer way with hp tuners

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,133 Posts
Well I would take off my diablo tune and sell it if the shop is a safer way with hp tuners
Again, assuming the shop is well versed in tuning Dodge...you will see more gains and probably have a safer tune than trying to tune via diablo over email. Plus if you have any issues you can go back to the shop, who can't blame you for tinkering with the tune since you do not have the capability to do so.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again, assuming the shop is well versed in tuning Dodge...you will see more gains and probably have a safer tune than trying to tune via diablo over email. Plus if you have any issues you can go back to the shop, who can't blame you for tinkering with the tune since you do not have the capability to do so.
Yea. Makes sense .they say they specialize in mopar so I'll probably go thru them and ask for the most conservative tune possible. But also to remove the damn WOT lag. Maybe they offer some sort of warranty as well

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,064 Posts
Yea. Makes sense .they say they specialize in mopar so I'll probably go thru them and ask for the most conservative tune possible. But also to remove the damn WOT lag. Maybe they offer some sort of warranty as well
I wouldn't stress too much over the motor blowing. 5.7s handle boost pretty well. My car was email tuned thru diablo but if ur at a shop and can afford it might as well just dyno tune it

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't stress too much over the motor blowing. 5.7s handle boost pretty well. My car was email tuned thru diablo but if ur at a shop and can afford it might as well just dyno tune it
Did you get the magnuson? I remember talking before, I think. And you were on the fence about what supercharger to get . I'll see the price difference from dyno vs email as I'm already gonna be charged more than I was expecting..most likely dyno tho

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,064 Posts
Oh yea that was a while ago lol. Been running the Magnuson since august. $300-400 for an email tune is a fair price assuming you're otherwise stock. Another option is just run the factory tune, that way you can also keep the warranty on the blower. May lose out on ~20whp but that's just more room to grow later on

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ehh. The hp is fine. I'd rather be able to confidently drive my car and sacrifice 20 or 30 hp. It looks like email or dyno it is. Email would be nice since I already have a tuner

·
Registered
82 Posts
A loaded question and I would say HPTuners but its all I know. Mainly though, a "Good Tuner" is the priority.

I 2nd that on Dyno steady state tuning. Then street/strip WOT scan logs and look again. Then dyno to see the gains or if there are dips in the graph.
Volumetric efficiencies are best done on dyno. If they tune your car in a hour on the dyno beware. VE is difficult to do when not on a steady state dyno but takes time in any case..

I have two boosted daily drivers and have been through lots of this including rouge tuners. Prices on this are really going up. Now some separate engine & trans prices. Used to if they tuned a car it was a given to do both.

Getting a good tuner can be tricky like a mine field. And you cannot order a tune like a hamburger, give me this AFR, and this much timing, make it safe, make it ragged edge........ If you get a tuner that says "How would you like your car tuned today" look out!

Mopar is a different animal you want one like mentioned in earlier post, well experienced with MOPAR and Forced Induction.

I paid for a dyno tune that left me with a throttle that made the car hard to drive with surges and hesitations just to name one and keep it short here. I gave up on it taking to another tuner.
We found the injector data was not correct for 53.7lb/hr at my fuel pressure. The injector size was entered at as much 150 lb/hr and the voltage offset was incorrect.
The VE table was set incredibly rich, requiring subtracting as much 25% fuel while driving.

So make your choice based on who is doing it. Get some background. With a supercharger you are not worried about warranty but will need the file on backup incase you loose a PCM/TCM and need to re-flash or the tuner disappears.

I purchased HPT back in 2005 mainly to be able to scan it and get 2nd opinions on my Silverado finding I was suckered but got it fixed elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'll give my simple experience..... You can pay $400 on average for someone to email tune your vehicle, and have to keep going back once you do upgrades, or you can invest $600 into HPTuners and spend time learning how to tune for yourself. Even if you don't learn how to tune, having your car on HPT gives you the advantage of seeing what all is happening all of the time, and learning over time. I'm a big fan of HPT, but have used both and have paid for both. I've had a great tune from Diablo, and HPT.

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
82 Posts
Here is an example of playing back a WOT scan. The tune is still work in progress but shes running good. The playback is in 1/2 speed which is an option.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Tune provided worked perfect for me. NGK plugs of recommended heat range.
Same for me, I have around 10,000 miles trouble free and car has not missed a beat.
I have rev-limiter raised and speed limiter raised as well by KB (signed waiver ect)
Also I have AEM wideband and AEM methanol controller to dial in AFR @ 11.2 with 12.5psi.
Car behaves perfect...no stumbling, bucking at part throttle issues, I,m not sure what I would gain with some elses email tune or dyno tune but I would not want to loose what I have now.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How's part throttle boost. I've heard that's when the
Same for me, I have around 10,000 miles trouble free and car has not missed a beat.
I have rev-limiter raised and speed limiter raised as well by KB (signed waiver ect)
Also I have AEM wideband and AEM methanol controller to dial in AFR @ 11.2 with 12.5psi.
Car behaves perfect...no stumbling, bucking at part throttle issues, I,m not sure what I would gain with some elses email tune or dyno tune but I would not want to loose what I have now.
You're 12 psi on stock internals?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts