Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I get asked often what all I get for the additional $10,000 I paid for having a SRT.

I can recall most of the upgrades standard in the package:

1. 392 HEMI
2. Brembo brakes
3. Dual-mode adaptive suspension, set 0.5-inch lower
4. Performance hydraulic steering
5. Dual-disk performance clutch
6. SRT bolstered seats, Napa leather, heated
7. 20x9 SRT forged aluminum wheels
8. SRT Sports steering wheel, heated
9. SRT dual stripes and badging
10. HID projector headlights; standard fog lights
11. 180 MPH speedo [220 EDITED]
12. SRT front chin spoiler
13. Real brushed aluminum center console bezels
14. Anti-slip rear diff
15. Bright pedals

Am I leaving anything obvious out?

·
Registered
510 Posts
So I get asked often what all I get for the additional $10,000 I paid for having a SRT.

11. 220 MPH speedo

I'd like to see pics of this 220 MPH speedo, mine only goes to 180 MPH on my '12 SRT... Did they change them?

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Forged Crank

You FORGOT some GOOD Stuff:

-Headers
-Bigger Exhaust
-Forged Crank
-functional hood scoop
-functional splitter that directs cooling air to Brakes
-Bigger sway bars (same as STP on RT)
-Better shocks (The STP Bilsteins are not the same as late model SRT)
-Sport Mode (this is cool)
-255 Rear Tires
-Vapor Chrome Wheels (the best factory Challenger Wheels so far)

Mine has 180 mph speedometer, but it looks so much better than my RT gages.

100 HP and 60 foot pounds of torque

·
Registered
14,281 Posts

I can recall most of the upgrades standard in the package:

4. Performance hydraulic steering SAME STEERING ON R/T STP
5. Dual-disk performance clutch SAME AS R/T
6. SRT bolstered seats, Napa leather, heated SIMILAR SEAT USED R/T CLASSIC
8. SRT Sports steering wheel, heated SIMILAR WHEEL USED R/T SHAKER, SXT/RT ANNIVERSARY
10. HID projector headlights; standard fog lights STANDARD R/T CLASSIC
11. 220 MPH speedo KILOMETERS? MPH IS 180
14. Anti-slip rear diff SAME AS R/T 6-SPD OR WITH ANTI-SPIN
15. Bright pedals STANDARD ON R/T 6-SPEED

Am I leaving anything obvious out?
So a lot of things shared with the lowly R/T's :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So a lot of things shared with the lowly R/T's :bigthumb:
There is a LOT to like in an R/T, but I am sorry, I don't mean to burst your bubble. I test drove both back-to-back before making my purchase decision, and while the two share the same Tremec transmission, the clutch difference in the R/T and the SRT was striking: the SRT pedal feel is much heavier and the engagement a lot more precise --and unforgiving, too. This was one of the key differences that tilted me towards the SRT.

The other were the seats: although they appear similar, once you touch and sit in them you notice the SRT seats are more bolstered, the padding is firmer, and the surface grippier --because of that suede material, I suppose.

I cannot speak of the hydraulic steering; I recall reading that only SRTs got it, but you may be right and the R/Ts may have it, too.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Don't forget $9,900 of having the VIN reflect it being an SRT - aside from that...

The R/T is the best car/dollar - if you were to mod the piss out of it, the R/T would cost less than starting with the SRT and doing the same. So once all is said and done, we paid for the VIN - and I', OK with that.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Don't forget $9,900 of having the VIN reflect it being an SRT - aside from that...

The R/T is the best car/dollar - if you were to mod the piss out of it, the R/T would cost less than starting with the SRT and doing the same. So once all is said and done, we paid for the VIN - and I', OK with that.
Yup, and if you leave your SRT pretty much stock, you get most of that money back.

I had $10,000 in equity when I traded my White 392 after driving it for 14 months, which I used as down payment on my current BSP.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
...elitism... ;)

It DOES make you think you are cooler.

·
Registered
368 Posts
-Better shocks (The STP Bilsteins are not the same as late model SRT)
-Sport Mode (this is cool)
The R/T Classic has the same shocks as the SRT - Bilstein part# 05039356AF. If you don't believe me, go have a look. I just looked on my buddy's 2011 GWE SRT that's loaded. Yup...same shocks as an R/T Classic.

I also have Sport mode on my Classic which I agree is very cool!

·
Registered
510 Posts
The R/T Classic has the same shocks as the SRT - Bilstein part# 05039356AF. If you don't believe me, go have a look. I just looked on my buddy's 2011 GWE SRT that's loaded. Yup...same shocks as an R/T Classic.

I also have Sport mode on my Classic which I agree is very cool!

Sorry, you are wrong on the shocks. Starting in 2012 the SRTs went to Active Damping Suspension which uses a totally different shock, they have small cylinders attached to them that the computer manipulates during normal driving to keep the car level.

When you switch to SPORT Mode on the '12+ SRT, the shocks go into maximum damping mode for agressive (or spirited as it says in the manual) driving/cornering.

SPORT Mode on the R/Ts only manipulates the transmission shifting program, does nothing to the suspension. Some R/T owners are in denial about this and swear they can "feel" a difference in the suspension, it's all in their head. There are many threads that discuss this, I can link one with pictures of the '12+ SRT shocks that you can compare to your shocks if you wish.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sorry, you are wrong on the shocks. Starting in 2012 the SRTs went to Active Damping Suspension which uses a totally different shock, they have small cylinders attached to them that the computer manipulates during normal driving to keep the car level.

When you switch to SPORT Mode on the '12+ SRT, the shocks go into maximum damping mode for agressive (or spirited as it says in the manual) driving/cornering.

SPORT Mode on the R/Ts only manipulates the transmission shifting program, does nothing to the suspension. Some R/T owners are in denial about this and swear they can "feel" a difference in the suspension, it's all in their head. There are many threads that discuss this, I can link one with pictures of the '12+ SRT shocks that you can compare to your shocks if you wish.
Well that would explain why my buddy's 2011 has them. I didn't look at the newest SRT's.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd like to see pics of this 220 MPH speedo, mine only goes to 180 MPH on my '12 SRT... Did they change them?
Nope, my bad. I must have been thinking in Celsius... :D

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
There is a LOT to like in an R/T, but I am sorry, I don't mean to burst your bubble. I test drove both back-to-back before making my purchase decision, and while the two share the same Tremec transmission, the clutch difference in the R/T and the SRT was striking: the SRT pedal feel is much heavier and the engagement a lot more precise --and unforgiving, too. This was one of the key differences that tilted me towards the SRT.
No, not bursting my bubble, I was just having some fun with your post. I love the SRT, just wasn't a practical daily driver me at this time. Next time, who knows? :icon_smile:
But on the clutch, that is interesting because it shows as the same clutch. I guess something is different.

The other were the seats: although they appear similar, once you touch and sit in them you notice the SRT seats are more bolstered, the padding is firmer, and the surface grippier --because of that suede material, I suppose.
Oh yeah they are great, sat in one the other day. Was just pointing out the 2014 R/T Classic now uses the exact same seat but with R/T sewn on the back instead of SRT.

I cannot speak of the hydraulic steering; I recall reading that only SRTs got it, but you may be right and the R/Ts may have it, too.
And I jumped the gun on the steering. The R/T STP previously did use the same hydraulic pump as on the SRT but now the STP has gone to electo-hydraulic pumps like the rest of the Challengers and I think the SRT will do the same for 2015.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Yep

Is it really bigger? What 2.75 vs 2.5 inch?

Here's mine (left) side by side with an SRT, looks pretty close in back.
It is bigger. And the post 2011 Shocks were covered in previous post. Believe me....I had an awesome RT, and did NOT want to trade up. But the numbers don't lie. It would not have made $$$ sense for me to upgrade my RT:

I would have needed the IMPORTANT stuff:

Shorty Headers
Forged Crank
BIG Brakes
Supercharger
Drop In Pistons/Connecting Rods (forged)
Stroke

Now I need:
Supercharger
Drop in Pistons/Connecting Rods (forged)

The other goodies are "Icing on the cake" (steering wheel, gages, seats, functional hood/splitter). But it would have costed much more to get where I am. A blower install on a forged 392 will yield more power than a forged/blown 345 of similar boost levels...and WAY more torque.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts