Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mufflers back:

Mufflers forward:

I just bought my 2016 SRT 392 and I always thought the exhaust didn't sound stock. I'm trying to figure out what the previous owner did to it; from what I can see it looks like the resonators were deleted and its possible there are some aftermarket mufflers? The cats are still there.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
370 Posts
Looks like a chamber style muffler.
Hell my car has two cat backs that costed $3000 for both, hence this guy went to local shop...………….

Cat back system can be spendy for these cars. (for 304 stainless)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a chamber style muffler.
Hell my car has two cat backs that costed $3000 for both, hence this guy went to local shop...………….

Cat back system can be spendy for these cars. (for 304 stainless)
Should I consider replacing this setup with something different? I like the sound as it is, I'm just worried about how long those welds and mufflers will last.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
370 Posts
Just drive it till it rust out, gives U time to save up for a stainless system.

First system was a Corsa Mopar, second system is the Borla Atak. My Corsa was WAY to quiet...…..

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just drive it till it rust out, gives U time to save up for a stainless system.

First system was a Corsa Mopar, second system is the Borla Atak. My Corsa was WAY to quiet...…..
I've considered Borla S Type, Flowmaster American Thunder, and one Corsa system I cant remember...I can't get too too loud because this is my daily and I park it outside either an apartment complex or outside my parents' house, and I drive primarily on a military base.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Im no expert, but looks like all the OEM crap was removed (resonators, muffs, etc), then some of it, was VERY poorly added back in (probably to sell the car)
IMHO, you'd be best to ditch all that and find yourself a nice unmolested used take off set on craigslist or elsewhere, or go with new aftermarket..trying to figure that out and get it all put back 'right' would be cost ineffective and a pita.

·
Registered
149 Posts
First off the Welds are NOT solid ! There is a lot of Leaking going on there ! Hense the Black marks !!
Plus you have Size changes . In My Shop it would be Taken out and Done Rite !

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off the Welds are NOT solid ! There is a lot of Leaking going on there ! Hense the Black marks !!
Plus you have Size changes . In My Shop it would be Taken out and Done Rite !
If I had to guess, I bet the previous owner had this thing straight piped (except for the cats) and had this system shoddily put in place in order to trade it in at the dealership I got it from.

Aside from the $1200-$1500 exhaust system, how much would I be looking at in labor costs to get a new cat-back installed by someone who knows what they're doing?

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's all depending on your local shop's !
I would look for a God used system that you can Bolt up yourself . I myself just Don't like the Leaks you have going on.

Post where you are located as a Member here may have what you need !!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's all depending on your local shop's !
I would look for a God used system that you can Bolt up yourself . I myself just Don't like the Leaks you have going on.
Where online should I look for used aftermarket or even stock systems?

And I'm located in Pensacola, FL

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is ALOT of Challenger's out there. Check Greig list or Face book Market place all Locale . you may find someone selling a set up .
I did !!

I am taking off a good set up and would give it to you But the shipping would Kill the deal !!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the stock Muffler but the Res are deleted . I just bought a new system to put on . It is the Solo set up. so I won't need what I have now.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the stock Muffler but the Res are deleted . I just bought a new system to put on . It is the Solo set up. so I won't need what I have now.
Ahh, I've heard that deleting the resos on the stock setup results in some drone and rasp, was that your experience?

Would it be possible to put a Hellcat exhaust setup on my SRT 392? Seems like the mufflers are smaller on the Hellcat than the 392 setup

·
Registered
149 Posts
YES !!!!
That's why I was looking for New set up !
In My 6 speed it can be worked around but still a lot of Drone inside the car !!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Would it be possible to put a Hellcat exhaust setup on my SRT 392? Seems like the mufflers are smaller on the Hellcat than the 392 setup
They are the same exhaust.

·
Registered
Boosted 2014 R/T Shaker M6
2,071 Posts
Where online should I look for used aftermarket or even stock systems?

And I'm located in Pensacola, FL
Too bad you're so far away. I have my entire stock exhaust, with less than a thousand miles on it, sitting in my garage. I'd let it go for cheap unless you're in the service, then I'd just give it to you. I will not ship it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts