Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve installed and upgrade a lot of parts on my r/t will it help me or hurt me to upgrade my oil pump to a high volume/high flow pump if so what pump do u recommend also do I need to upgrade my water pump if so any recommendations there

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I’ve installed and upgrade a lot of parts on my r/t will it help me or hurt me to upgrade my oil pump to a high volume/high flow pump if so what pump do u recommend also do I need to upgrade my water pump if so any recommendations there
Without knowing the details of what you have done...

A blueprinted factory oil pump should suffice unless you have made changes to the engine to increase its oiling needs. Primarily this would be to open up the main/rod bearing clearances. Besides needing more oil flow this might require a higher viscosity oil. For instance rather than run a 5w-20 oil (or whatever oil the factory calls for) one might want to run a 5w-30, or a 0w-40 oil, or maybe even a 5w-50 oil might be called for.

To determine which would be "best" might require some experimentation on the dyno to monitor oil pressure at various RPMs and temperatures.

You might also find more oil capacity is needed. The oil supply for street engines operating at high RPMs is marginal. Even on the dyno it has been observed that the oil capacity is marginal and at near red line the engine oil becomes too aerated and this causes the hydraulic lifters to partially collapse which results in a sharp fall off in power.

You might find an oil cooler might be called for. The cooler size needs consideration to ensure the cooler does not restrict oil flow and has sufficient capability to cool the oil. The piping to/from the cooler needs to be carefully selected in order to ensure adequate flow to/from the cooler. Large enough pipes to carry the oil and no right angle bends.

Generally however, if an engine is going to spend the majority of its time on the street the bearing clearances want to be held down. Makes for a quieter running engine and one that doesn't need a power sucking larger oil pump and thicker oil. But more oil capacity and better oil cooling could still be a good thing.

The factory water pump likewise should suffice. Depending upon the mods and engine output and how you intend to use the car more cooling capacity could be called for but the water pump should be quite capable of circulating coolant.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts