Dodge Challenger Forum banner

What wax applicator for wheels?

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  dino 
#1 ·
I used a small round applicator to wax my wheels, and after one clean it got black with dirt. Should I just wash it in the washing machine, or do you have to buy a new one every time you wax?

#2 ·
I wash the applicator that I use on my wheels with dishwasher detergent. However, I use a fresh applicator pad every time I wax the paint on my car to avoid any scratches. They are cheap and, anyway, I only have to wax my car 2-3 times a year with Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0. (It really lasts).

I also use Meguiars' NXT Detail Spray, weekly, to maintain a high gloss/mirror shine.

#4 ·
I wash the applicator that I use on my wheels with dishwasher detergent. However, I use a fresh applicator pad every time I wax the paint on my car to avoid any scratches. They are cheap and, anyway, I only have to wax my car 2-3 times a year with Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0. (It really lasts).

I also use Meguiars' NXT Detail Spray, weekly, to maintain a high gloss/mirror shine.
Your SRT doesn't have clear coated wheels. Unfortunately I will need to wax mine everytime I wash to keep the shine and protect the clear coat. But I will try washing the applicator in dishwasher detergent, maybe that will get out the brake dust.

#3 ·
That 'dirt' is brake dust. Some really nasty crap with metal shavings mixed in. Don't ever cross use anything that touches your rims on your painted surfaces. I have special wash mitts for the rims & rocker panel trim parts.

#6 ·
That 'dirt' is brake dust. Some really nasty crap with metal shavings mixed in. Don't ever cross use anything that touches your rims on your painted surfaces. I have special wash mitts for the rims & rocker panel trim parts.
Great points! I do the same thing works all the time
The brush you use on the back of your rims to get the brake dust and crud off use it nowhere else on your car
Wheelwax rim wax for me works like the cats a$$ brake dust will rinse right off with the garden hose..wheelwax is the company:thumbsup:

#5 ·
I've got the classic wheels as well, but I don't wax them everytime I wash. I wouldn't think the applicator gets that dirty immediately after washing the wheels.

I put one good coat of wax on, shortly after buying it. After that, I've been hitting it every second or third wash with spray wax... so far has been working fine for me.

Mike

#8 ·
I would suggest first trying to clean the wheels better before applying the wax otherwise you are at risk of rubbing the brake dust on the wheels. It is possible if you are just washing with wheels with car soap and water (what you should be doing) the wax may be softening and brake dust is getting embedded in it, then when you reapply it just gets transferred to the applicator.

What kind of wax do you use?

#10 · (Edited)
A few good recommendations here. If you still have crud on your applicator then your cleaning technique needs to improve before you get to the wax stage.

Follow Cuda's recommendation: use new pads they are cheap and not worth the effort to clean them spotless for the next job. Why take a chance?

BTW, I would use a sealant instead of wax on the wheels. Sealant will last longer.

#14 ·
....the product is still readily available online. As I mentioned, I haven't heard anything conclusive/official yet on the detailing forums including MOL (Meguiars Online) but I wouldn't doubt that they would discontinue the line especially with the recent roll out of the 2011 "Ultimate" products (several being fairly redundant). ....pulling the NXT products out of the B&M channel is probably just the first step if this is true.

#13 ·
Thanks guys. I guess I wasn't doing a good enough job cleaning the wheels before I waxed them. Bought some Mothers car accessories to help, like the wheel cleaner. Also I will get a new applicator. As far as wax I use Meguiers clean and wax (red tin).

#15 ·
I agree NXT has been discontinued but as stated it was replaced by NXT 2.0. Most retailing companies get their products from distributors. The distributors have to pick up the new product and that is the job of Meg's rep that sells to the distributors to insure continuity. I do think there is a lot of overlap in the Meg's consumer line and can easily believe that NXT may be discontinued eventually in the US. When a company switches brands (filling out the Ultimate line) they need to continue existing products until the new line is established and the distributors are carrying all of them and retailers are putting them on the shelves. This happens on an annual basis for the OTC market so it takes a year or two to make any transition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.