Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
mequires nxt 2.0

it doesnt leave the white powder buildup in the nooks and cranny's and it fills in the swirls

you wax the whole car at once when then wipe it all at once

i have been told that some waxed have dies in them...because i have bright white i am wondering what wax wont turn my car grey/yellow with continuous use

i do notice most white cars look dull and not bright anymore...when its new it REALLY stands out bring bright white...i do not want to loose that look....so i am also searching for a possibly different wax to use...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
What kind of wax do you use on your car and are you happy with the final outcome?
….as with most detailing products, “best” is mostly defined by the individual requirements/scenario. It really depends on the users needs, expectations and what characteristics they value in a particular product. Looks, longevity, resilience, contaminant shedding ability, sheeting vs. beading, slickness, ease of use, trim friendliness, etc., etc. There are a myriad of products all with varying traits and none that I (personally) would consider “best” for everyone.

With that out of the way, I’m a bit of a nut when it comes to LSP’s (last step products; waxes/sealants). My current “active” products are FK1000p (currently on my DD), Wolfgang Fuzion (currently on my Challenger), Optimum Opti-Seal, Collinite #845, Zaino Z-AIO and Klasse AIO. I have several other “inactive” products including some I still have yet to try (like Wolfgang DGPS). The next likely products I would like to try are Blackfire Wet Diamond and Optimum Opti-Coat (previously unattainable by consumers but recently made available).

There are several groups LSP’s can be classified under but these are some of the more popular IMO/IME (some folks may have different terminology)….

1) Traditional: These are your typical carnaubas and sealants that you wipe on, wait to haze and then wipe off. Some are trim friendly and some are not (they either stain or leave a residue in crevices, etc.). The FK1000p that I am using on my DD is one of these such products.

2) WOWO: These are “wipe on, wipe off” formulations that don’t require any (or very little) time to wipe away after application. You can usually work a panel at a time with these and they typically are very user friendly (barring any streaking issues, etc. you may get from a particular product or under certain situations). The Wolfgang Fuzion I mentioned is a WOWO.

3) WOWA: These products are called “wipe on, walk away” and are literal in the term. You really do apply and then let the product flash off/dry on the surface. As long as you don’t over-apply, you get a streak free, crystal clear finish. Optimum Opti-Seal is an example. In fact, (although it does use more product) I typically apply this sealant using an airbrush for quick application that I can spray over trim, vinyl, glass, paint, etc. quite quickly and evenly.

4) Coatings: These are the permanent and semi-permanent coatings some dealerships, detailers and even a few enthusiasts use. Terms like “nano”, “resin”, etc. get thrown around but the generally idea is that these products are typically supposed to last 1-5 years and (some) even more. Some products are frankly BS (IMO) but there are others that have proven themselves as competent performers. Opti-Coat is one such product that has gained recognition in the detailing community ever since it was released. However, it was only reserved for professionals who had to show proof that they owned a detailing business and sign a waiver. It wasn’t until recently (this past Friday in fact) that OC was released to the public (likely due to the overwhelming interest). Prior to this, some folks were having to look elsewhere to companies like AQuartz and GTechniq to acquire similar products. ….I am currently testing a product called C4 from GTechniq that is marketed as a “permanent trim restorer”. I was actually going to do a write up soon on this forum once I get a chance to really play with it.

Anyhow, I would determine what type of product/characteristics you might think will work for your situation and then maybe do a little reading on detailing forums like Autopia.org, DetailingBliss, Autogeek Online, etc. .....sorry for the rambling.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think the first question is do you like having a nice detailed car or just looking for something for some protection and not think about it for 6 months.

There are so many "waxes" out there (real waxes, sealants, coatings) that you have many choices. You may want something that is so simple to apply/remove that provides decent protection or some "systems" that have multi-steps, curing times, etc.

Yes, it can be that complicated unless you just want to follow what any number of people say.

·
Super Moderator
14,134 Posts
I prefer Meguires NXT Tech Wax 2.0. It goes on easy and leaves a superior shine for 6 months. I also use Meguires Detail spray to keep the mirror shine.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Griot's Best of Show Wax and Speed Shine to maintain. Hooked on their products and look forward to getting their catalog in the mail. Good price, excellent quality, great value.

·
Registered
526 Posts
When it comes to wax or any detail products it all comes down to trial and error,from that you define your personal preference
My wax of choice is Canadian made and goes under two names but same company 1]Worlds Best Wax or 2}Victoria Wax
IMO youll not find a carnuba wax with a higher content of pure Brazilian carnuba than Victoria.they have a web site so check them out
Having a deep water blue Chally I like to give a thin coat of Poorboys World sealent ,let fully cure then apply the Victoria
The sealent gives the wet look and the carnuba gives the depth:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I don't think Zaino can be beat for it's durability/longevity of polish protection and the shine. Others will shine just as good (but no better) but I doubt they can last as long.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm with Cuda 340, Meguires NXT Tech Wax 2.0. for me as well. Tried the turtle Wax Ice and it just seemed hard to remove for me.

Have used the tech wax for the last 11 months and LOVE it! Best bang for the buck in my opinion...:)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I don't think Zaino can be beat for it's durability/longevity of polish protection and the shine. Others will shine just as good (but no better) but I doubt they can last as long.
....having been a user of Zaino for years I would say that there are products available that are on par or that exceed the durability/resilience of Zaino. This is based on my own familiarity from the products I have used and the experiences from fellow friend’s/members on the detailing forums I frequent (both enthusiasts and professionals alike). That's not to say some of these folks (like myself) don't like Zaino, we just don't feel it has the market cornered in this respect.

As for "looks", this is really subjective. Case in point is a common complaint from some about Zaino (or other similar sealants) regarding their "plastic/shell-like" appearance. They prefer the warmth/depth that a carnauba or a comparable product (some sealants, hybrids, etc.) can offer. Personally, it never bothered me and I actually think this effect works better than others on some colors. Either way, I’m a strong believer that prep is the single most contributing factor to the outcome of how your finish will look. The better the paint is prepared, the better the result.

LSP choice really boils down to what a user wants/expects from it. There are a ton available on the market today all with varying characteristics. Some are more similar than others while a few really have some unique traits. One just needs to browse the online communities to see how vast this market/topic is. Cost, ease of use, appearance, resilience, longevity, contaminant shedding ability, compatibility with other products, slickness, beading/sheeting, trim friendliness, resistance to spotting, masking ability, etc. are all various characteristics of products that people consider. …..some are more important than others depending on the individual and what works “best” will depend on each scenario.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Waxed my car today with the Mequiars NXT. It wasn't bad. I clayed first and applied the wax. Car is looking showroom ready now.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
i can't see anything better than zaino, from what i understand its not a wax. seems to last through weekly car washes. its a little confusing as to the steps but once you figure it out watch out you won't be able to take pics , the reflection may be too much esp. with a dark car.
good luck.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i can't see anything better than zaino, from what i understand its not a wax. seems to last through weekly car washes. its a little confusing as to the steps but once you figure it out watch out you won't be able to take pics , the reflection may be too much esp. with a dark car.
good luck.
....formulations and characteristics will vary but Z2 & Z5 are synthetic sealants much like Collinite 425/912/845, Klasse SG, FK1000p, the Duragloss line, Wolfgang DGPS (just to name a few).

Its arguable but typically you'll run into 3 main types of LSPs on the market today: traditional carnaubas, sealants and hybrids. Sub categories can include WOWO's (wipe on, wipe off), WOWA's (wipe on, walk away) and tradional (wipe on, let haze and wipe off) products. ....there are also nano-sealants and other semi-permanent/permanent coatings that bring a whole new level of performance to the playing field in regard to durability as well as other characteristics. AQuartz, GTechniq and Opti-Coat are some that come to mind. ....Opti-Coat was just recently released to the public (formerly only available to professionals).

·
Registered
416 Posts
I once waxed/polished my 07 Charger SRT8 every few weeks. Then I stumbled upon the NXT wax. I've waxed that car exactly TWICE in the last year and a half... never failed to bead-up water and the shine never dulled the slightest. Easy to apply and remove as well... not expensive either... win-win-win-win IMO.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts