Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was tire kicking on the local autotrader website and stumbled upon a used 2009 Challenger SRT-8 in TorRed, FULLY loaded with 6-speed manual, GPS nav, Kicker system and sunroof... It has 9,000km (not miles).

The car lot bought it at auction as it was repossessed and are selling it for $35,000 CDN.

First of all, is this a decent deal for the car? I looked it up and the price is exactly at blackbook value (actually a few bucks less).

Should I be concerned because it's a repo? What if the guy found out he was getting his car taken and decided to molest it for the last few days??

Finally, should I even bother with a 6.1L or just wait it out and grab a 392 down the line?

Are there any significant changes between model years (2009-2010) I should be aware of?

Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Seems like a good deal, if the car has not had the crap beat out of it.
There's a 2010 Black SRT at a local dealer with exactly the same set up as you describe but they want $48000 CDN.

As for differences between 09's and 10's...I dont see anything significant that would warrant not getting the car as they are basically the same. The only upgrade the 10's have are better synchro's in the tranny. Other than that they basically the same cars.

Should you hold out for the extra power of a 392, be prepared to pony up a lot more $$$....In the end it's really up to you & your wallet...

Good luck.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like a good deal, if the car has not had the crap beat out of it.
There's a 2010 Black SRT at a local dealer with exactly the same set up as you describe but they want $48000 CDN.

As for differences between 09's and 10's...I dont see anything significant that would warrant not getting the car as they are basically the same. The only upgrade the 10's have are better synchro's in the tranny. Other than that they basically the same cars.

Should you hold out for the extra power of a 392, be prepared to pony up a lot more $$$....In the end it's really up to you & your wallet...

Good luck.
I don't really plan on "tracking" my car, maybe for fun but I dont REALLY care what numbers I pull down (my best time in my SuperBee was 13.3 WITH mods... LoL)

As far as "fun to drive" factor is concerned, are you guys with 6.1L 6-speeds satisfied? The 392 SOUNDS legendary on paper and will definitely cost some serious coin but will it REALLY make THAT big a difference as a daily driver?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I bought my red 2009 SRT8 a couple days shy of one year ago. It is a 6 speed, nav, sunroof,stripe-delete car. It had ~15,400 miles on it when I got it and it needed tires. I paid just under 32,000 USD and spent ~1,300 bucks on tires.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Check out You Tube and see the Hennessy 392 Challenger Test Run. The guy likes the Chally but LOVES the 392 and dynos it at 430 HP to the rear wheels. Says with easy mods it would be 500 and still be as docile as stock.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
1,987 Posts
I do not think as a daily driver engine wise you will notice a big difference between the 6.1 and 6.4 but start to push the car and I don't see how you could not (big useful torque difference). Having said that I bought a 2010 SRT on Dec 31 2010 and I am very happy with it. I traded in a 2010 (bought in 2009) R/T that I really liked a lot and second guessed myself for a while but get on the gas and you can feel the difference between it and the SRT.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't really plan on "tracking" my car, maybe for fun but I dont REALLY care what numbers I pull down (my best time in my SuperBee was 13.3 WITH mods... LoL)

As far as "fun to drive" factor is concerned, are you guys with 6.1L 6-speeds satisfied? The 392 SOUNDS legendary on paper and will definitely cost some serious coin but will it REALLY make THAT big a difference as a daily driver?
I'm very happy with my 2010 6 speed. Tons of power and torque, more than needed really. The 6 speed reallllly puts the fun in the car.

If you really require that extra 50 - 60 rwhp the 392 offers, just do a mild head and cam swap on the 6.1 and you'll match the power, and save yourself a lot of $$$.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I'm very happy with my 2010 6 speed. Tons of power and torque, more than needed really. The 6 speed reallllly puts the fun in the car.

If you really require that extra 50 - 60 rwhp the 392 offers, just do a mild head and cam swap on the 6.1 and you'll match the power, and save yourself a lot of $$$.
A lot comes down to what you want to pay for in the end. The 6.1L is a tried and true engine over multiple Chrysler platforms and there is enough aftermarket/consumer research done to improve the engine without getting it out of hand.

The 392 is a VVT cam engine so the same tuning issues that are associated with the 5.7L VVT will be experienced with the 392. Also, it being a new engine with a new engine computer and the active intake manifold, upgrades to the engine will take some time.

I'd say, if you can live without the 392 for one year, grab a slightly used 6.1L and then upgrade to a 2012 Challenger. This'll give some time for the engine to be tested out, get the kinks worked out with a first year engine and then see what Chrysler does to improve the Challenger platform that they just applied to the Charger platform (e.g. rain sensing brakes)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The car should still have a least a year left on its basic warranty. If anything happens to the car, you're covered.

As far as the '10s having better transmission syncros than the '09 6spds, if there is something wrong with the transmission, Dodge will upgrade your '09's syncros to the '10's. (At least that is what they did with mine.)

So far, the deal sounds really good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So I was tire kicking on the local autotrader website and stumbled upon a used 2009 Challenger SRT-8 in TorRed, FULLY loaded with 6-speed manual, GPS nav, Kicker system and sunroof... It has 9,000km (not miles).

The car lot bought it at auction as it was repossessed and are selling it for $35,000 CDN.

Let me know what you guys think!
I guess you live in Canada, but are you close to Toronto?
I know of 2 dealers here that have NEW 2009 SRT's on their lots:
one in Brilliant Black, the other Tor Red.
These dealers also have a few 2010's on their lots, so SHOULD
be ready to give a great deal on one of these -likely not that much
more than car you're considering. Also, full warranty would be applicable.

Another factor is whether you're paying cash or financing: interest rate
much better on new than used (could be worth a couple of thousand dollars - likely looking after much of the price differential).
I would at least try negotiating on a new 2009 before closing deal on
used one

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'd pick up the 6 speed for sure......you'll be happy!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts